• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Digimon is like pokemon

I recognized digimon as a rip-off just by watching commercials (pokemon is short for pocket monsters, digimon is short for digital monters). Both battle and some evolve/digivolve with special items. There is probably other stuff, but I haven't watched digimon.

I recognized digimon as a rip-off just by watching commercials (pokemon is short for pocket monsters, digimon is short for digital monters). Both battle and some evolve/digivolve with special items. There is probably other stuff, but I haven't watched digimon.

Maybe you should take a good look around here before you start calling things ripoffs.

Biggest difference:

Er...can a Pokemon devolve? I don't believe so.

Similar, but not the same. Digimon had a better anime, Pokémon made better games, both are more or less made of fail in their later incarnations.

I recognized digimon as a rip-off just by watching commercials
Going by that logic, absolutely everything has ripped absolutely everything else off by being even remotely similar. :|

has ne1 seen digimon and noticed how its like pokemon a lot?

No chatspeak, please.

I mean, they are kinda similar, but they are different enough so that they aren't copies of one another. And, yes, the Digimon anime was always better.

FYI, Pokemon did start before Digimon, but Digimon was first made about a year later. Also, though the two share various traits, they had completly different origins: Pocket Monsters started as the gameboy games we all love, while Digital Monsters began as a tamagotchi-type game. Further more, the creators of Digimon probally weren't even thinking about Pokemon when it was made.

Yeah, okay, I'm sorry, but I've found that people who go off on how Digimon is a ripoff of Pokemon have never seen more than an episode or two of Digimon. :|

They both end in 'mon' and they both involve monsters that people befriend that undergo transformations. The similarities end there, seriously, and these aren't the only two franchises with transforming monsters either. Pokemon didn't invent the monster-raising genre.

The Digimon anime is definitely better than Pokemon's (especially Tamers); the games are different and I enjoyed the ones I've played, but I don't think they have the depth that the Pokemon games have. They don't hold my attention for as long.

:sighs: You're new to Pokémon AND Digimon, aren't you, mew?Look, heres the bacts: They are only REMOTELY similar. :sighs again:

If you watch the first two seasons of both shows, being Digimon and Digimon zero two as well as Pokémon and Pokémon Orange Islands, toss in each of their respective movies, the only thing you will actually see in common is the concept of people being partnered with powerful creatures. Now, I've never played the Digimon Games, and I never watched the later seasons of Digimon, but I followed BOTH in the early years, refusing to give up one for the other. They're not alike.

There are multiple dimensions in Digimon, whereas that concept didn't come into Pokémon until the Unown appeared. That was the third movie, for those of you who don't remember.

Also, as mentioned previously, Digimon can CHANGE BACK. Pokémon? Not so much. Digimon are DATA, and immortal. Pokémon? Also not so much. Theres also the talking aspect, but that doesn't really play into it as much. Each Digidestined, at least, in the two REAL seasons, the others are cheap playoffs in other continuities in my opinion, each digidestined was partnered with one character. Pokémon? It's all about the numbers.

I could go on about how the manga for Digimon all sucks by shrinking everything down, and how Pokémon doesn't get enough credit for helping to keep Nintendo in business, but that would be awkard.

I've said my bit.

Cookies to all who actually read this. :/

:sighs: You're new to Pokémon AND Digimon, aren't you, mew?Look, heres the bacts: They are only REMOTELY similar. :sighs again:

If you watch the first two seasons of both shows, being Digimon and Digimon zero two as well as Pokémon and Pokémon Orange Islands, toss in each of their respective movies, the only thing you will actually see in common is the concept of people being partnered with powerful creatures. Now, I've never played the Digimon Games, and I never watched the later seasons of Digimon, but I followed BOTH in the early years, refusing to give up one for the other. They're not alike.

There are multiple dimensions in Digimon, whereas that concept didn't come into Pokémon until the Unown appeared. That was the third movie, for those of you who don't remember.

Also, as mentioned previously, Digimon can CHANGE BACK. Pokémon? Not so much. Digimon are DATA, and immortal. Pokémon? Also not so much. Theres also the talking aspect, but that doesn't really play into it as much. Each Digidestined, at least, in the two REAL seasons, the others are cheap playoffs in other continuities in my opinion, each digidestined was partnered with one character. Pokémon? It's all about the numbers.

I could go on about how the manga for Digimon all sucks by shrinking everything down, and how Pokémon doesn't get enough credit for helping to keep Nintendo in business, but that would be awkard.

I've said my bit.

Cookies to all who actually read this. :/

Can I has my cookie now?

You basically summed up my thoughts on this subject.

...Wow, what an amazing topic.

Monster-collecting and -raising is a concept that started all around the same time. Pokemon was at first a game (Red/Blue) that was themed around bug-collecting, initially. Digimon, on the other hand, were originally tamagotchi-esque pets, which ruled out the "collecting" aspect in favor of the "raising" one.

And they both involve monsters, hence the -mon.

But the fact still remains that they're pretty darn different, with the main one being that Digimon are digital whereas Pokemon are living, breathing creatures. And they both entered the media in different ways: Digimon first as a little handheld device, then a TV show, and then later a game, but Pokemon was a game first of all and a TV show later. So.

FYI, Pokemon did start before Digimon, but Digimon was first made about a year later. Also, though the two share various traits, they had completly different origins: Pocket Monsters started as the gameboy games we all love, while Digital Monsters began as a tamagotchi-type game. Further more, the creators of Digimon probally weren't even thinking about Pokemon when it was made.

Uh, no. Digimon first came out in 1990 roughly 6 years before Pokémon. The only things they have in common anyways are that both involve monsters. Other than that, the concepts are highly different. Pokémon involves battling for sport whilsat Digimon involves...saving the universe from ultimate destruction. So...yeh.

Uh, no. Digimon first came out in 1990 roughly 6 years before Pokémon. The only things they have in common anyways are that both involve monsters. Other than that, the concepts are highly different. Pokémon involves battling for sport whilsat Digimon involves...saving the universe from ultimate destruction. So...yeh.
Where are you getting this number? All sources I have point to Digimon starting out as virtual pets in 1997, only one year before Pokémon Red/Green. The actual Digimon series as we know today didn't start until after then.

Last edited:
Digimon is nothing like pokemon except for the monsters thing. Digimon digivolve :D <3 and de-volve. Greymon=<3 :3 They ruined digimon though it's stupid now ;-;

Digimon has a much better storyline that what Pokemon has, or will ever have. Digimon are characters that have some influence on the story induvidually, whereas Pokemon are generic. Tamers also have more character than trainers. However, Digimon doesn't have too many games that are worth playing. The Pokemon games, are more in-depth and lengthier. I don't watch anime, so I don't care for Digimon. The Pokemon games are pretty good, and can last for a while, even though there's not much story to them.

Digimon is far more plot-based and character-based in both the anime and the games; Pokemon mostly promotes pokemon themselves - most of the anime is essentially 'new pokemon of the day' and advertises the games, pretty much. But the pokemon games are much more player-based.

They have similar concepts (I guess) in that there's pretend monsters that you can befriend and fight with, but pokemon tend to end up as one of many, where digimon (from what I can recall of the first three seasons of the anime) are much more life partners, guardians etc. Not to say that pokemon aren't, but it's less emphasized in the games and anime this way.

Also:

Y'know, most people recognise pokemon as a kids game by just looking at the commercials?

Back
Top Bottom