• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What would you like to see in Pokemon Aotearoa

White Wolf

So, I'm making my new Pokemon game, Pokemon Aotearoa and was originally making it by hacking Pokemon Fire Red, but have decided to switch it over to Sphere. Sphere is a programed designed to help people make 2D RPG games, such as Pokemon games but you have to write the whole game yourself. But seeing as you write the game yourself, you can write in anything you want (so long as you know how). So I'm looking for ideas for new features for my game.

Some of the features I'm already planning to do are;
Seasons with sesonal weather
Pokemon that only appear in certain places according to the seasons
Honey trees
More realistic gyms (talking and then moving over to the battlefield)
More realistic contests (moves have new different animatons than battling and special combnation moves with special animations)
New move animations
New moves (suggestions)
Customisable character with ability to buy new clothes
Clothing accessories for your pokemon (like bandanas, scarves, etc...)(suggestions)

That's what I've got at the moment, so any suggestions?
To see some more things about Pokemon Aotearoa check out *Calling All Spriters* in the spriting section.

Last edited:
Probably something like "You have five days to grow as many berries as you can." Whoever grows the most gets like a rare acessory or item.

EDIT: In fact, if you want to take this farther, there could be an entire park full of competitions, like a fishing contest (catch the biggest Magikarp, Carvahna, etc.), or an old-fashioned bug catching contest. Or something...

A way to get through the game without having to face gyms. Maybe have a new contest like Pokemon Racing/ Treasure Hunts in various towns that you can challenge instead for those who don't like gyms.

I was thinking of stuff like that, like you can get through the citys by either beating the gym, winning the contest or doing something else such as your examples.

You're being too ambitious for your own good.

Seasons with seasonal weather
That can work if you put the game into a .nds file.
Pokemon that only appear in certain places according to the seasons
Again, great idea. We already have the night/day system, though that would add severe time restraints and coding would be a bitch to do.
Honey trees
Good.
More realistic gyms (talking and then moving over to the battlefield)
I don't get what you mean. If you mean removing the puzzles and the extra trainers, sure. But if it's like the Colloseum/XD thing, don't. Seriously.
More realistic contests (moves have new different animations than battling and special combination moves with special animations)
This is where you get too ambitious. You would have to make animations for every move, then make animations for the moves that can combine with move x. However, you can always add a simple spark for when you did a nice combination. For instance, you used move x and move y. If it was a combination, a spark would animate before move y is played.
New move animations
Just recycle D/P move animations and use their graphics.
New moves (suggestions)
Great.
Customisable character with ability to buy new clothes
Again, coding AND spriting issues. You would have to sprite the trainer with every possible clothing combination available. How about being able to upload a trainer? You can edit the sprite field and add the specific ones. That way it's infinite and with moderate coding needed.
Clothing accessories for your pokemon (like bandanas, scarves, etc...)(suggestions)
Again, massive amounts of coding. Just leave it be or as I said, use the same theory as the custom trainer.

And if you can, add online play.

Thanks, since I posted that, I've doing some talking with the guys at the Sphere place and there's one guy who has already made a season system for his pokemon game and he might be helping. Also they think I should keep the normal moves for contests and I'll probably do your thing with the spark. I'm going to be using DP graphics and the uploadable character is a good idea and I'll probably trash the pokemon accessories. Also if I can, I'm definitely going to have online capabilities.

I'd advise that if you do have the upload-your-own-character thing, you make it so character sheets must be approved by a moderator in the online version (If there is any), or else you might get some giant walking phallus or something drawn by someone that has no idea how to sprite and looks completely flat and out-of-place and garish and-

I'd advise that if you do have the upload-your-own-character thing, you make it so character sheets must be approved by a moderator in the online version (If there is any), or else you might get some giant walking phallus or something drawn by someone that has no idea how to sprite and looks completely flat and out-of-place and garish and-
Aye. The online would probably be like Wi-Fi.

If you want I'll handle that, White Wolf.

Grimdour: Sure, do you have experience in that kind of thing? Of course, I need a scripter who would be able to do it.

I've managed to get a extremely advanced scripter to help me, but he's also working on a massive pokemon game which takes up most of his time but he says he'll make some of my systems for me.

Grimdour: Sure, do you have experience in that kind of thing? Of course, I need a scripter who would be able to do it.

I've managed to get a extremely advanced scripter to help me, but he's also working on a massive pokemon game which takes up most of his time but he says he'll make some of my systems for me.
Not sure if I'll have time, plus I haven't handled Java for a while.

Great, it'll be ages before it gets going though as I still have to get the basics scripted.

So, anyone got anymore ideas?

As, I've just posted in the Calling All Spriters thread, I am now officially switching to Sphere. So any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

How 'bout making the berry plants not die when you pick the berries? Like, the plant's still there, and you don't have to plant a new thing. But it'll die if you don't water it, and you have to plant a new one.

Not really significant, but it always pissed me off. Why does the plant die if you pick the berries o_O

One word, and that's all I'm going to say: Plot.

If you've got a good plot, you can be as overambitious as you like. If, on the other hand, you're just going with the uninspired norm (Team X and Legendary Y) and opting for making your region oh-so cool with your fakes and attention, you won't get an ounce of support from me. If, on the other hand, you have a well-thought-out plot, good characters, and a storyline that makes sense, your game itself could be complete crap as far as I cared and I would still support you.

Shows where my priorities lie. xD But seriously. Don't go for the garnishes (ooh! Pretty attack animations! I'm quivering in anticipation!) until you've actually gotten something to garnish.

Back
Top Bottom