• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The games that blew your mind

Thorne

It's feeding time
We've all played a game like it sometimes, we hear it's good, or buy it to see if it's good, we play it, and it completely blows your mind, like it's a perfect game.
What game made you think: "This rocks in any way possible"? In my case, the first was pokémon Pearl, I heard from a guy at another forum Pokémon games are good, and I hadn't been a Pokémon fan for like six years, I buy one a eBay(I'd not suggest doing it, really, mine is a bit glitchy, and freezes at two points in the game) to see if it really is, and I get overthrown by the awesomeness, and once again becomes a Pokémon fan. The other case was Super Smash Brothers Brawl, it made my head explode. Brawl have everything I want, LOTS of characters, LOTS of stages, LOTS of unlockables, LOTS of game modes, and LOTS of everything, nothing disappointed me with that game.

Now, what game blew your mind?

I was just about to make this thread...

Theres a few. Brawl. Yeah, best game I've probably ever played. Diamond/Pearl was a massive breakthrough, they got it right. I also love Custom Robo Arena on the DS and MySims. [Oh why did I trade you in?]

200th POST!

Pokemon Blue blew my mind. I mean, I hadn't even played a RPG up until that point. Except Phantasy Star II, but I didn't understand it back then. Wonderful, it was. I mean, how do R/B not blow your mind if they're the first Pokemon games you played? ^_^

Pokemon Stadium 2. It was everything Pokemon Stadium was not. Especially the minigames.

Europa Universalis II. A little hard to digest at first, but I was introduced to a brilliant genre of games.

RollerCoaster Tycoon. Another 'genre-introducer'. Great fun.

GoldenEye. Back then, I had played Doom a bit, but GoldenEye for the N64 was the first FPS I really loved.

Power Stone 2. I would say that this is the Dreamcast's answer to SSB (And Melee, which wasn't out at the time). It's mechanics are different, but it's got the same spirit of 4-player fighting mayhem behind it. None of the familiar characters going at it (unless you played the first Power Stone, not a bad game, though only 2 player) motif, but 3D fighting, like the prequel, grand transforming stages, fun characters, the character transformation mechanic, and the massive amount of items behind it, make it more fun than SSBM, and if not for the limitations of the time that led to a limited selection of stages, would be as much or more fun than SSBB.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Some of the items actually bother me a little, but on the whole, great game that indeed blew my mind.

Smash bros Brawl, but that's a given.

Rant Time!

Super Paper mario blew my mind. A nice change of pace, the soundtrack was incredible, the gameplay kept me up for hours on end, the story was definetely the games best quality, and the final boss and ending... wow.

Great game, that one.

Brawl is completely over-rated.

It'd have to be Super Mario Brothers 3. Who knew that 8 bit machine was capable of such a powerful game?

The first one that comes to mind is the game that I have the most memories of, my absolute favorite game of all time, Pokemon Sapphire.

I've been playing Pokemon games since I was about 3, but I never really got into them. I mean, I always loved playing them, but I never had a game of my own that I absolutely loved and treasured. Red was given to me by my brother when he got Yellow, and it was shared with him most of the time, so I couldn't really call it mine. It was mine, but since he had given it to me and I was too young to really understand it, since I was about 4 or 5 at the time, I never really felt the same connection to it that I eventually would have with Sapphire.

By the time Gold and Silver came out, my brother stopped loving the games, even though he still played his Yellow on occasion, so my sister and I each got one. I got Silver and she got Gold. We played each others game fairly often, though, so Silver still wasn't really my game. My sister eventually grew out of Pokemon as well, so Silver is the first one that I consider to have been my game. However, by that time, I had played fairly far into it already with my sister, so I didn't get to experience a whole new game by myself, and I felt the same way with Crystal when I got it for Christmas that year.

I got really into Silver when I was in about second grade, and was friends with a lot of people who also got into Pokemon from their siblings, and all of us were excited for Ruby and Sapphire. (One of the kids actually made bookmarks and stuff and sold them to other people for money. He's actually always found ways to make money off of what was popular at the time, now that I think about it.) A little bit after Ruby and Sapphire came out, since we all were smart enough to think of the fact that they'd be worth less in a few months, everybody in the group of friends got them, whether they bought them or got them for their birthdays, myself included.

When I first turned on my GBA and began playing Sapphire at Chili's on my 8th birthday that year, I was amazed. The graphics were so amazing, the Pokemon were so cool! (Torchic is still one of my favorites.) Things as simple as the String Shot animation astounded me. Abilities and natures were such great ideas, giving every Pokemon that extra little something that made them unique. Team Aqua was so cool. They were pirates! Pirates! The music was such better quality, every single track gave a route, cave, or town that feeling that all gamers get sometimes, where they feel like they're in the game. I absolutely loved this game. It was perfect. For the first time in my life, I had a brand new experience in a brand new game all by myself, and, to this day, I've never felt anything greater.

I continued playing that game day and night, since my birthday was in the summer. I got together with the group, especially one who I'm still friends with today, and we traded and battled and just generally had a good time playing the games we loved.

During that summer and the next year, I actually made a lot of friends since Pokemon was huge at our school and I was able to help them all with anything they asked for, if it was that one rare Pokemon that just wouldn't show up, how to evolve and get the cool Pokemon you've always wanted, or just some tips on how to beat a Gym Leader. All of them were temporary friends, ones who I don't see anymore, but I still had a great time with them, playing games and chatting on my pretty bad ProBoards forums. I do miss some of them, since they were great friends who I just kind of drifted apart from because they moved or went to another school, but it was fun while it lasted.

The game itself just has so many memories for me. The smell of tar makes me think of training on Route 121, my favorite Route, on the long car ride to the cabin we used to go to in Minnesota. Mattresses with floral patterns of any kind make the memories flood into my head of training and training on my bed in the cabin to finally take down the Elite Four, and of the glorious moment when I finally defeated Steven's Armaldo. Hospitals remind me of a day one summer, when Volturnus the Kyogre became my first level 100 as I was visting my cousin in the hospital. There are so many more, but if I kept going,I'd name them all, and this post would become far too long.

All of those things helped to make playing Sapphire one of the greatest experiences I've ever had, and it is the one Pokemon game I own which I've never restarted and never will. I've wasted a good 20 full days on that game, and I'm not going to let all that time be for nothing. I'll always value Sapphire more than any other game. I'm sure that the game itself, the great experiences that came from it, and my team will all hold special places in my heart forever.

Shadow Of The Collosus

Having the freedom of a HER-UGE valley to explore, and the ENOURMOUS boss battles that have multiple ways to be defeated.
The music,the gamplay, the scale; It's all epic.

Mother 3. For some bizarre reason I went in thinking it wasn't going to be as good as Earthbound. Haha....I was horribly wrong. One of the best games I've ever played, storywise.

Also, Super Metroid. It's probably, objectively speaking, the best game ever made.

Last Scenario, a free RPG made with RPGMaker.

Honestly, I don't know what there is about it that isn't awesome. The gameplay is balanced and challenging, particularly the spellcard system of magic; the characters are lovable and the plot is amazingly complex and well thought-out; there's a wonderful strategy minigame... I could go on and on. This is by far one of the best games, and probably the best RPG, I've ever played. The plot starts out as a total cliche and then twists itself into something amazing. I just fell in love with the characters and couldn't stop playing.

First off, Pokemon FireRed. It was my first Pokemon game, and I was hooked. Everyone here knows what I mean. The time you pick up your first Pokemon game, it's just magical, y'know? Okay, moving on...

Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Seriously, you should have seen that coming. Despite having played Melee before, it was still beyond my expectations. I got it last month, beat the Subspace Emissary, unlocked all characters, etc. and I'm STILL hooked. In fact, I should really take a break, as I'm starting to spend unhealthy amounts of time on it. Still though, great game.

I really don't think Brawl is overrated. I didn't like it immensly and its not the best game ever but it isn't overrated, its not my sorta game, whilst a lot of the other world do. It has a lot of unlockable content and content, worth the money.

Anyway I loved Megaman 9, revolutionary and so damn hard!!!

Also Prof.Layton was good because it showed us education games didn't have to be an extra maths lesson.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. I'll never forget the first time I tore into Mr Sahwit. It was way too satisfyingly awesome for words. ^^

Ocarina of Time.

I never so much as played a Zelda game until about two years ago. My brother bought ocarina from eBay, had it delivered here instead of university, and let me play it. I kinda wanted to play the games in the order that are on the disc. I tried playing the two 2D ones. Too hard. Then Ocarina. I thought it was okay, graphics were bad but that was to be expected, I got bored after walking into the Great Deku Tree. Then I played Majora's Mask, which was fun and all, but I just got drawn back to Ocarina of Time. I decided to give it another chance and at least get out of the tree, then, when the storyline started coming into it, I got completely addicted. I've played RPGs of this style before but his topped them all. Now, whenever I play any of those games which I loved to much before, I get bored after a few minutes. Ocarina had such an impact on the way I set my standards for games. In a very small time my attitude toward Zelda has changes from indifferent to OMG OBSESSIVE.

Also Age of Empires.
I don't play on it that much any more, but occasionally I do if I'm bored enough. The graphics aren't as good as I remember them to be and I'm not too fond of AOE3. The computer player it too easy for me, unless I put it up one difficulty level in which case it's was too hard, but let's ignore that. It blew my mind mainly because my brother (this was at a time when he didn't trust me with his games) kept playing it and I was like OMG you can get elephants and get them to attack horses and stuff. Age of Empires 2 though, that was better, not just because of the graphics, I just liked the units more. I'm not sure exactly how it blew my mind, but it did. To this day, if anyone says the word terrorise I think "The English are terrorising all of Scotland! And it's time for us to fight back!".

Roller Coaster Tycoon as well, much better than Theme Park. I failed at things like building roller coasters, but I still had fun. I still play it now, and as I got older I noticed more of the more advanced stuff like finances (before, I was just spending all the time). The amount of fun I've gotten out of it had never gone down because of things like this.

Last edited:
Also Age of Empires.
I don't play on it that much any more, but occasionally I do if I'm bored enough. The graphics aren't as good as I remember them to be and I'm not to fond of AOE3. The computer player it too easy for me, unless I put it up one difficulty level in which case it's was too hard, but let's ignore that. It blew my mind mainly because my brother (this was at a time when he didn't trust me with his games) kept playing it and I was like OMG you can get elephants and get them to attack horses and stuff. Age of Empires 2 though, that was better, not just because of the graphics, I just liked the units more. I'm not sure exactly how it blew my mind, but it did. To this day, if anyone says the word terrorise I think "The English are terrorising all of Scotland! And it's time for us to fight back!".

Hell yes AoE II was excellent. :D One of the games that really set the standard for the genre (III is horrible).

Age of Empires are awesome. I really like FFF Chocobo's Dungeon. Amazing gameplay, nice storyline, actually quite challenging parts and the list goes on. I hope there is a sequel.

Dungeon Siege

Okay, okay, so it was my first real video game, and my first real tangle with nightmare fuel. Gods, Wesrin Cross was scary to a 9-year-old me. Hell, it still gives me the creeps.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Gods, how many times did I play this game over? Too many. I just remember getting it and being all ":DDD OBJECTION! yay~~"

Okami

... I can't properly describe Okami. I could never do it justice.

Tales of the Abyss (No, you can't get me to shut up about it.)

I think the first thing that really blew my mind was, "wow, a swordsman that isn't completely and totally devoted to justice and equality and calls the most annoying party member 'annoying.'"

The second was the snarky mage you pick up in the first half-hour. <3

Back
Top Bottom