• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

How long can you go? A Challenge topic

Meowzie-chan

Your friendly neighborhood Foxquirrel.
Ok, this idea came to me a while ago, but I never though about putting it into action until just recently. Heres the challenge: See how far into a main series game, any main series game, you can go with only your starter, and without fainting. If you don't want to have to risk saving, I'd recommend using a fourth gen, because of the save protection. Other games would be interesting to see, however.

The rules are as follows: Choose your starter as whoever you want to test. Then, play the game.
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT capture any other Pokémon, unless you need them to be HM slaves if you get far enough to, you know, use HMs. ADDED Or if they're shiny and you're keeping the file. I though the odds were so small, nobody would find a shiny that quickly.
ADDED You can save, becuase I didn't realize people would want to go an entire save file with just their starter. Personally, I like a balanced team, and have shinies on my other file, but to each their own!

Sound fun? Then enjoy! (please)

RECORDS
R/B/Y
none yet
G/S/C
Grimdour The Desecrater, level ? Quilava, fainted by Morty.
EeveeSkitty, level ? Typhlosion, just past Goldenrod.
Scizor King, level 76 Typhlosion, defeated Red! (OMGWTFBBQ?)
R/S/E
Scizor King, Level 72 Swampert, defeated Steven.
Vaporeon~, Level 78 Swampert, finished game in 10:19.
FR/LG
None yet
D/P/Pt
Meowzie-chan, lv 28 Prinplup, 2:50, two badges. (realized it was after 10 pm upon defeating Gardenia)
peegeray, level 80 infernape, in Victory raod, fainted by a Hippowdon.
Leafpool, level 40 Infernape, two badges, fainted by a Kadabra outside Veilstone. (sorry 'bout the Zubat.)

Want to get into the record books? Tell me your starter and it's level, how long you played, and what you accomplished! Have fun, folks!

Last edited:
I've almost beaten the whole game with my Torterra, but, you know. Garchomp and all that. I always play only leveling up my starter, I can't see how people are training balanced teams... such a waste until you come to the Competitive Battling scene.

Really? That's pretty cool. I've always raised a pretty even team, even back in fourth grade with Crystal, so... I don't see how people can raise only one for an entire game.

I've only stuck with one Pokemon for Blue -- that was because I ended up playing Pokemon in my sleep and only leveled my Squirtle -- and Ruby (because I was disappointed by every Pokemon design in my party except for my Pelipper's. Which meant that by the Elite Four, I was using one Pelipper as my team and it not only had an awful nature but a moveset of Surf / Fly / Protect / Hyper Beam. I KNEW BETTER BY THEN but i noticed that if I didn't one-shot things then I was so totally screwed~)

I once beat the entire Elite Four in Blue with just a level 75 Charizard named Stringy. I'll try again, this time with a Bulbasaur. Put me down for Pokémon Blue version, Bulbasaur lv. 5, 0 badges. I'll post again for updates.

Well, the no saving part is for those of us who don't want to delete our old, happy save file. This is really to see how far a person can get in a few hours.You could make it into a full time game like the monotype challenge, but I didn't think that anyone could go that far without fainting at least once. Sorry if I'm confusing people.

I've beaten all the Gyms on both Crystal and Sapphire using only my starter in a single day, although I can't say I remember whether it ever happened to faint. :/

I beat three Gyms using only a Charmander/Charizard in my FireRed version, and I can say that it probably didn't faint (I was Fire-monoing and thus had to wait until Celadon to even get another Fire-type), but due to HM slaves and the like (I didn't use them, but I may have used them as decoys while I used a Revive on my Charizard), I can't be sure. I saved as well, so... eh.

Does this mean that if I have ten minutes until I go to bed, I don't have as much of a chance as someone who has the whole day off? D:

I just leave my game on overnight, charging.

I did this once on Crystal and managed to get to Ecruteak with Quilava. Then Morty finished me off. It was about a day as well.

In Gold I used only Typhlosion[some HM slaves I think] and just got past Goldenrod. I have no idea what the time was, I forgot.

Well this is a very clever battle, i'll give it a go on my Ruby since I really don't care about that save file. I like to go through some PK Games with jusmy starter anyway, just train one pokemon, or do what I did on Gold, release your starter and get a new single pokemon.

Using only Typhlosion(and HM Slaves), I got up to and defeated Red in a matter of hours on Crystal. In reality, it wasn't that hard, My Typhlosion at the end was Level 76.

Diamond version, level 40 Infernape upon fainting, two badges, name: Lakey, cause of defeat: a Kadabra's Confusion outside Veilstone, play time 7:30.

You'd better put this up in the first post. I ran into a shiny Zubat, dammit. >:/

well she hasn't posted anything on tcod since the 15th so just wait till she comes back?
anyway i have 6 badges now and infernape is on lv62

Back
Top Bottom