• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Roleplaying 'pet peeves'

Zeph

from up here the sky is my thoughts
Pronoun
he
Is there anything that people do while roleplaying that annoys you? It could be something little, or something very major, but either way, post it here~

Something that I've noticed recently that is rather annoying is when people (Not naming any names) don't use character's names, instead using their initials - even in speech - for example, 'AB walked up to FG and said "Hi, FG, It's me, AB"' Really, if you can't be bothered to type out your character's full name (And more often that not it's only their first name anyway), then... what are you doing roleplaying? It's a past-time that requires patience~

If you're one of the people that does this, then please don't take offence from it, I don't really mean to be hurtful or anything, I'm just pointing out that it gets a little (And sometimes more than a little) irritating.

Hmm... people who post with the same person for like a whole page with no one else in between just because they were both active at the time.

I agree with you Zep, thats annoying.

Um, I kinda have a good size list of things that people do in rpgs that makes me want to hit them..
The one that is on the top of my list is, 1-liner posts. Only the devil knows how much I hate people who knows that they do this and don't try to improve on their work.
I mean really, is it that hard to write a paragraph or some lines that shows your trying?!
*sighs* Ok enough with that, you get the point. ^^;;

- Bad grammar/spelling
- People only posting one line (usually less than 15 words)
- People doing stuff that makes no sense/should not be possible
- Half-assed characters with barely any description/personality.
- Write the word "bucket" to show that you have read the rules in a RP that has absolutely nothing to do with buckets, making it stand out like a sore thumb. (also, people putting Other: Bucket. How obvious can you get?)
- When someone completely ignores/dismisses anything that's been said apart from what's happening to their own character
- People making their character avoid things because the player knows what's going to happen -- even if the character doesn't.
- Godmodding/Railroading ect
- Something that could seriously traumatize the character has happened, but there is no real reaction.
- Lack of plot/objective
- In pokemon RPs, when people try and be/have legendary pokemon
- People having a really ridiculous age (3?!)
- Under the appearance form is a screenshot from an anime.
- Two or three people chain posting and eventually leaving the plot behind.

...I've probably missed a few, but those are the main ones.

People who obsess over how "this is a literate roleplay" and then proceed to let anyone and everyone in who asks to join.

-Bad grammar.
- Railroading.
-Mary-sues/Gary-stus.
-When insted of making their character creative, they use one from an anime.
- When people obsess about how literate their RP is.
-Reserving.
-Having to put pointless things in the form/post to get accepted. Would we be joining if we didn't read the rules?
-Time-modding.
-Godmodding.
-Having a plot that centers strictly around you and another person.
-initials.
-When the form doesn't have any of the nessesary feilds for any general RP.(Appearence, personality, ect.)
-chain posting.
-When the creator of the RP doen't even accept/deny the form you posted.( i.e. she/he overlooks it)

That's all I can think of.

-bad grammar/spelling.
-Godmodding/railroading.
-Controlling an object or NPC that the dungeon master (DM) is supposed to control.
-Unreasonable DMs who make the RP so wacky and godmoddish that the members leave.

- Bad spelling/grammar.
-A dumb plot.
-Omitting fields (Playing-out personality, optional history, etc.)
-Godmoding, powerplaying.
-MARY-SUES! D:

Pretty much it.

Mary-Sues/Gary-Stus. If the person is relatively new then it's forgivable but need to be fixed up.

Script. WHY GOD WHY? Write in good damn sentences. Text speak goes here too, because they usually go hand and hand >_>

Badly kept time. Not sure if it's called Time-moding, but me and a friend went through about an hour while someone else sped through a week.

A rubbish plot. For some reason, a lot of Brawl roleplays seem to fail here... x.x

When people just post up pictures of anime/manga characters and use them as their characters description. It's okay if they drew them but nearly ALL the times I've seen this, it's not the case.

Godmodding. It fails so hard it makes Mary-Sues look original.

- Bad grammar/spelling
- People only posting one line (usually less than 15 words)
- People doing stuff that makes no sense/should not be possible
- Half-assed characters with barely any description/personality.
- Write the word "bucket" to show that you have read the rules in a RP that has absolutely nothing to do with buckets, making it stand out like a sore thumb. (also, people putting Other: Bucket. How obvious can you get?)
- When someone completely ignores/dismisses anything that's been said apart from what's happening to their own character
- People making their character avoid things because the player knows what's going to happen -- even if the character doesn't.
- Godmodding/Railroading ect
- Something that could seriously traumatize the character has happened, but there is no real reaction.
- Lack of plot/objective
- In pokemon RPs, when people try and be/have legendary pokemon
- People having a really ridiculous age (3?!)
- Under the appearance form is a screenshot from an anime.
- Two or three people chain posting and eventually leaving the plot behind.
Pretty much everything on this list. Along with people joining RPs, then only posting on the odd occasion.

Hmm... people who post with the same person for like a whole page with no one else in between just because they were both active at the time.

This. but its more of a pet hate than actually finding it really annoying. I hate that in all threads Actually, most forum games but its the worst in RP because then you have to catch up.

Bad spelling/grammar.
-A dumb plot.
-Omitting fields (Playing-out personality, optional history, etc.)
-Godmoding, powerplaying.
-MARY-SUES! D:

Holy crap, someone actually spelled "Godmoding" correctly! (It's derived from the term "God Mode," y'know. Thus, only one d.)

I was beginning to think I was the only one left on the Internet who knew that...

Darksong said:
-Omitting fields (Playing-out personality...
Hey now, Played out personality is awsome, especiasllly for people who have a hard time sticking to personalities. Like me. It feels so... limited.

Also, I realized that I hate absolutely rediculous things such as " (character name here) can fly without wings and has laser vision that turns things into french toast" or "Has the power to warp time so that you are in the futre, a future where only (so and so) can survive.".

Gee, annoying much. What use is turning things into french toast!? I mean come on.

- Normal conventions (godmoding, railroading, and such.)
- Rapid-fire posting between two people.
- Confirmation words.
- Anybody else bothered by people who retread a character over and over again? I'm talking about people who will use the same sort of character for every (primary) character across every RP they join, essentially without fail. As Castform said, don't get angry at me if you do this, but it's just... a tiny bit bothersome.

Last edited:
- Anybody else bothered by people who retread a name over and over again? I'm talking about people who will use the same name for every (primary) character across every RP they join, essentially without fail.

Yes.

Also:
All the standard Godmoding, Mary-sues ect.
Images from the internet as a character description
Repeated one-liners (on occasion that may work or be unavoidable, especially in conversations, but too much is different)

I'm less bothered by confirmation words, especially the ones done well (like one where it was obvious but wasn't supposed to be in the form. It may be pointless, but it's harmless pointlessness. I'd rather have that than, say, a Mary-Sue.

Ehehe...I know I'm really guilty of the one-liners, sorry. But that's usually all I really need to say or do in a situation. Most of the time (for me), a whole paragraph is more wall-of-text filler than anything important.

Anyway...
-Confirmation words (What's the point? If someone doesn't follow the rules, warn them. If they refuse to listen, boot them. Especially bad when it's a fake-out, like "post this word" on the top of the list, and at the end of the rules, "Don't post the word".)
-Two people posting rapid-fire (Exception in the case of something like the Smash Board, where a battle between two people's going on)
-Godmoding/Powerplaying (Obviously)
-Mary Sues (Again, obviously)
-Railroading off the central plot
-RPs that start off good, then go absolutely nowhere, to where everyone is just left hanging.

Somewhat guilty of the "repeated character-name usage" thing. ^^;

Okay, most definitely not on here, but still:

On one of the other websites I'm on, there's a specific forum for school-related roleplays. And it seems like everytime there's an all-boy/all-girl school roleplay, everybody has to be gay/lesbian. As in it specifically says in the rules, "Sorry, your character has to be homosexual."

Er...just because you go to an all-boy/all-girl school doesn't automatically make you gay/lesbian. Trust me on that, seeing as I actually attend an all-girl school. [/rant]

I'm somewhat guilty of being the kind of person to drop a post only occasionally. Sorry. D:

Well, I'll have to say the ab/use of Japanese honorfics, words, and sometimes statements. Please just shut-up, you're not Japanese, let alone speak the language. I understand if it is a general statement, or even parody, but always using the words "kawaii" or "-chan" is really annoying me.

My other pet peeves are already posted here, so. xP

Like... when I try to have my character be inconvienced in some way, people go on and just heal them or whatever. Like if my character was injured and they get healed IMMEDIATELY and everything's perfect and happy because YOUR CHARACTER CANNOT HAVE A PROBLEM AND IF THERE IS WE FIX IT IMMEDIATELY. That sort of thing, if that makes sense. This really bugs me.

Also really short RP forms that say absolutely NOTHING about the character. As well as half-assed posts.

And the usage of Japanese-sounding names because they sound cool or whatever. Also what Eclipse said.

Ahaha, I am guilty of repeating character names over and over again~

Back
Top Bottom