• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Some atheism vs. religion comics I found

Retsu

uhhdushfkjwhf
addiscartoonpp4.jpg

cartoon20060222.gif

i231028signe.gif

heller.jpg

Feel free to add your own :)

It's great, the only way they can make atheism look bad is by completely misunderstanding the point.

Exactly what I was thinking.

OLOL AMOEBA->DINOSAUR ATHEISM MAKES NO SENSE

To stay on topic - I particularly liked Murkrow's one, but the classical elements = win.

Uuh, opal, all the anti-religion ones posted so far have missed the point completely, too.

Sure, some people actually believe that people of other religions won't go to heaven or don't deserve respect or whatever, but Jesus taught that it was important to respect others regardless of who they were (The Good Samaritain) and that you didn't have to be of a certain religion to get into heaven (Parable of the Sheep and Goats).

The first image posted is my favourite because it works both ways; intolerant atheists are every it as bad as intolerant theists. You're not impressing anyone by taking the example of what a handful of extremists belive and then applying it to everyone who follows a creed.

Uuh, opal, all the anti-religion ones posted so far have missed the point completely, too.

Sure, some people actually believe that people of other religions won't go to heaven or don't deserve respect or whatever, but Jesus taught that it was important to respect others regardless of who they were (The Good Samaritain) and that you didn't have to be of a certain religion to get into heaven (Parable of the Sheep and Goats).

The first image posted is my favourite because it works both ways; intolerant atheists are every it as bad as intolerant theists. You're not impressing anyone by taking the example of what a handful of extremists belive and then applying it to everyone who follows a creed.
Oh, come now, you know these posts aren't directed at nice religious people like you. Everyone loves you, Dannichu.

That is, the side of you they can see...

The first one posted?

Doesn't that kind of portray theists as being hypocritical and stubborn, too?

All these comics really do is pick on the stereotypes, and that's all they're meant to do. The purpose is to generate lols, not evoke a pissing match.

Pretty sure that the only way to Heaven is through Jesus. That sort of says something about who's going to Heaven there!

No, they haven't. They have greatly exaggerated the point and made generalisations, but they have not redefined "religion" or "theism" to mean something it doesn't.

I often get the feeling I wouldn't mind Christianity nearly as much as I do if people actually paid attention to what Jesus said.

Oh really? Then why is it that when atheists criticise religion we get accused of being intolerant, and when theists criticise atheists... we get accused of being intolerant again!

Pretty sure that the only way to Heaven is through Jesus. That sort of says something about who's going to Heaven there!

Actually, I always thought it depended on who you ask.

Personally, I think that if you're a generally good person you'll go to heaven regardless of religion.

Oh, come now, you know these posts aren't directed at nice religious people like you. Everyone loves you, Dannichu.

That is, the side of you they can see...

I never said I was religious. Even if I did, it wouldn't make any difference to what I'm saying.

The first one posted?

Doesn't that kind of portray theists as being hypocritical and stubborn, too?

And some of them are. Some atheists are hypocritical and stubborn, too - I don't have a link, but a while ago VPLJ posted a comic that was essentially the first picture from the opposite view; someone mentioning being religous in passing and getting verbally abused for it. Both happen, and it's not fair to judge either side exclusively by it.

While the bible is admittedly self-contradictory, assuming we're going by the Golden Rule and the fact that Jesus said that it's only when you treat everyone decently that you can go to heaven, it's not really based in a specific religion.

No, they haven't. They have greatly exaggerated the point and made generalisations, but they have not redefined "religion" or "theism" to mean something it doesn't.

I often get the feeling I wouldn't mind Christianity nearly as much as I do if people actually paid attention to what Jesus said.

Oh really? Then why is it that when atheists criticise religion we get accused of being intolerant, and when theists criticise atheists... we get accused of being intolerant again!

Uh, yes they have. If we take "theism" to mean "belief in god/gods", things like belief in creationism, rejection of other religions and fighting religious wars appear nowhere in anyone's definition and are either attached to specific religions or to certain followers of specific religions.

Honestly, I don't think Christanity would exist if people listened to what Jesus said; he was pretty scathing of organized religion.

I think the moral here is for everyone to just stop critiscising people and make life easier for everyone.

BUT at the same time there's all this "I am the way, the truth and the light" and "the only way to heaven is through the LORD Jesus Christ" that you see ALL OVER the place. And then there's the fact that Heaven is a Christian invention. It's pretty obvious that only Christians can get into Christian Heaven because, um, it's made up for the Christians.

Why be Christian if you get to go to Heaven anyway?

And some of them are. Some atheists are hypocritical and stubborn, too - I don't have a link, but a while ago VPLJ posted a comic that was essentially the first picture from the opposite view; someone mentioning being religous in passing and getting verbally abused for it. Both happen, and it's not fair to judge either side exclusively by it.

Yes, they can be, but the comic you specified doesn't show this... *is confused*

Uh, yes they have. If we take "theism" to mean "belief in god/gods", things like belief in creationism, rejection of other religions and fighting religious wars appear nowhere in anyone's definition and are either attached to specific religions or to certain followers of specific religions.

Which is why I specifically mentioned religion as well. I'm sure we could argue about what exactly any one religion encompasses, and of course denominations differ quite extensively, and of course only some people actually listen to everything religion has to tell them, but the heart of the matter is that, yes, a lot of religions would send you to hell for not believing in them.

Back
Top Bottom