• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Nonsensical, Contradictory and/or Stupid Things in Video Games

Not Meowth

Cat, are you drilling?
List any you've noticed here.

- On LoZ:TP, I noticed the bombs are as big as the bomb bag is when you get it from Barnes, yet it can hold 30 bombs. Also Link drinks milk out of the same bottle he has used to store lantern oil.
- On many games, being shot/cut with a sword etc. hurts you but doesn't make you bleed or die.
- Double jumping. "Jump, then jump again. Sure, it defies the laws of physics, but so do most things I do." XD Great Spiderman 2 quote.
- In Pokémon, teeny little birds that could barely lift themselves (e.g. Pidgey) can Fly you right across the region. Same with teeny little fish like Goldeen and Surf.
- In Star Fox Adventures why would Fox's Arwing already have a compartment for Tricky to fly in before he even met him?
- Tails needs another rotor moving in another direction or something, or he'd just spin round on the spot.
- In Pokémon, when Pokémon get the Sleep status being smacked with a huge blast of something won't wake them up, but a puny slap will. And on the 3D games they can still get up after being hit, IN THEIR SLEEP.
- In Loz:TP (again), the iron boots and ball and chain are so heavy, Link can hardly walk when he equips them. However when he packs them away all that weight magically vanishes.
- In the Trauma Center series, to perform an operation on a chest organ, you just need to make an incision down the chest and there's the organ. WHERE IS THE GUY'S RIBCAGE?! Plus, suturing a wound causes it to spontaneously disappear. And most ops take just 5 minutes.
- In Sonic Rush, when Sonic and Blaze transform into Super Sonic and Burning Blaze, there are 7 emeralds orbiting each of them, but there are only shadows coming off them in 6 directions.
- Anyone actually seen Mario do any plumbing?...
- In Pokemon, your house has just one bedroom and one bed, but both you AND your mum live in the house.
- In Sonic games, Dr Robotnik sits in an exploding machine after you beat him after each zone and survives.
- In KH2, one of the members of Organisation XIII- Xemnas perhaps- says that "anger and hate are supreme"- whereas he is a Nobody and can feel neither, nor any other emotion.
- Whenever Link is in certain places in TP (eg, the room with Yeta lying in it in the Snowpeak Ruins), he somehow loses the ability to use bows, swords, ball-and-chain etc. What, could they not make it so you can't hurt NPCs? Would that logically not be easier than making it so you can?!
- In The World Ends With You, shark and penguin Noise can swim in set concrete.
- The castle level of Shadow the Hedgehog. Basically, you get Hero points for killing Black Arms, and Dark points for killing Eggman's robots. Because Eggman is the lesser evil, one assumes. However, in practice, this doesn't work. It has Eggman wanting you to kill Black Arms and leave his robots alone, whereas with regard to the score awarded this is a complete contradiction. Basically both Amy AND Eggman shout at you for killing his robots, and want you to attack the Black Arms. =/
- In Brawl, on the Luigi's Mansion stage, the size of the mansion is about one thousandth the size of the one in the game. And, there are only two rooms. And no ghosts.
- The Quest items in TWEWY; I mean, if you or I went into a shop to buy something and attempted to pay with a few badges we'd be told where to go.
- Porygon was created by humans, and Mewtwo was cloned by humans from Mew's fossilized eyebrow. How, then, can they exist in PMD, where there are no humans?
- And how did Mew's eyebrow come to be fossilized anyway when Mew is alive and well?

(These were all collected up in over time and then copied from another thread at another forum. I'm not entirely without a life, nor do I have superhuman memory. :3)

The PMD thing with Mewtwo and Porygon may be an uninhabited island save for the Pokemon because you yourself were human once.

However:

-Every JRPG. When an important character in your party dies in a dungeon, smash a bottle over their head after being crushed by a giant three-headed wolf with a snake for a tongue. When they get stabbed by some random guy or get a flu, they keel over and die without the smashing-bottle-head taking effect.

-The Bag of Holding syndrome. Take Kratos from God of War, specifically God of War II where he gets a big-ass hammer. He keeps that in a pocket somewhere in his manskirt.

- In Brawl, on the Luigi's Mansion stage, the size of the mansion is about one thousandth the size of the one in the game. And, there are only two rooms. And no ghosts.

Eh, it's a replica. The Yoshi's Island stage isn't very big either, is it? :P Also, it has five rooms, and a bunch of Boos.

- And how did Mew's eyebrow come to be fossilized anyway when Mew is alive and well?

Wait, the eyebrow? Wasn't it just some random hair? o.o Anyway, the eyebrow would have falled of and then fossilized. I don't keep all of my hair until I die... And there could very well have been more Mew.

Wait, the eyebrow? Wasn't it just some random hair? o.o Anyway, the eyebrow would have falled of and then fossilized. I don't keep all of my hair until I die... And there could very well have been more Mew.

No, it was stated to be an eyebrow.

In any case, eyebrows don't fossilise; they come under the soft bits that disintegrate. Only bones and stuff can become fossils.

No, it was stated to be an eyebrow.

In any case, eyebrows don't fossilise; they come under the soft bits that disintegrate. Only bones and stuff can become fossils.
Imprints? It happened with puke. Or amber, that's how bugs are fossilized.

How would you clone something with an imprint, though? Surely you'd need a sample of its DNA, so you'd need some of its actual tissue.
Oh, right. The cloning. Ignore the imprints, then.

The amber fossils are like ice cubes with a fly in them. It's dead but the amber maintains the structure of the tissue, so if you extract it carefully you can get its DNA and clone it.

- In Loz:TP (again), the iron boots and ball and chain are so heavy, Link can hardly walk when he equips them. However when he packs them away all that weight magically vanishes.
:D?

- The castle level of Shadow the Hedgehog. Basically, you get Hero points for killing Black Arms, and Dark points for killing Eggman's robots. Because Eggman is the lesser evil, one assumes. However, in practice, this doesn't work. It has Eggman wanting you to kill Black Arms and leave his robots alone, whereas with regard to the score awarded this is a complete contradiction. Basically both Amy AND Eggman shout at you for killing his robots, and want you to attack the Black Arms. =/
Yes, and? How doesn't that work?

It's a representation. *Shrug.*

- The Quest items in TWEWY; I mean, if you or I went into a shop to buy something and attempted to pay with a few badges we'd be told where to go.
You say that like the rest of TWEWY is perfectly logical. I always thought it'd be rather odd to see the players materialising as they walk through the doorway into a shop, personally...

Er, why would Mew die upon losing an eyebrow hair?

Really, you could go on forever with nonsensical things in video games, but the reasons for most things probably boil down to:

a) Because it's more fun if it isn't realistic;
b) Because it'd be ridiculous to play if it was realistic;
c) Because it's just not necessary, why bother going to the trouble of programming it in?

And on that note, I propose that all organic video game protagonists should henceforth have fully-playable bathroom breaks.

In Mario and Luigi Superstar Sega, you have to do something that vaguely involves plumbing... to get around the castle security?

And if you're doing it to disable the security, that means their toilets back up, but they're safe. Okay.

Er, why would Mew die upon losing an eyebrow hair?
It wouldn't, but a creature surely needs to be dead to fossilise. And as far as I'm aware a big chunk of your face doesn't just fall off one day. Unless you've got leprosy or gangrene.

Really, you could go on forever with nonsensical things in video games, but the reasons for most things probably boil down to:

a) Because it's more fun if it isn't realistic;
b) Because it'd be ridiculous to play if it was realistic;
c) Because it's just not necessary, why bother going to the trouble of programming it in?

Oh, I know there are often reasons things are contradictory. But it doesn't make them make sense. (Much like that last sentence, I think...)

@OrangeAipom: True. But that's hardly a concept Game Freak should be putting into an E/3+ rated game. XD

It wouldn't, but a creature surely needs to be dead to fossilise. And as far as I'm aware a big chunk of your face doesn't just fall off one day. Unless you've got leprosy or gangrene.
But it's not a big chunk of its face, it's a single hair... as incompatible as that may be with how fossilisation works, that's how the story goes.

My two favourites that come to mind right away:

* In FFX, you can carry up to 99 of any item at all, but between the seven party members, you cannot carry more than one Besaid Sphere.

*Regardless of how random and improbable a weapon is, as soon as someone using a plushie/kendama/giant leaf is on your team, the weapon shops all over the world will start selling updrades of them. But not, you know, things like bows and arrows.

In Sonic heroes, at the beginning of the battle with metal Sonic, he says: "Long time no see Sonic, my Loathsome copy"
Then midway through the battle, he'll say: "Sonic, i was created for the sole purpose of destroying you"
And once you've beatn him, he'll say: "I am the ultimate overlord, metal Sonic! I am the real sonic!"

Metal Sonic was insane. That is why he can't seem to decide whether he is the real one or not, kinda like the Shadow Androids.

List any you've noticed here.

- On LoZ:TP, I noticed the bombs are as big as the bomb bag is when you get it from Barnes, yet it can hold 30 bombs. Also Link drinks milk out of the same bottle he has used to store lantern oil.
Bomb bag thing: when you pick up something and you see Link hovering it in front of him, they're much smaller than they actually are. Look at the size difference between the ball and chain when you pick it up and when you're using it.
Bottle thing: Dishwashers didn't exist back then :P
In the beginning you see Midna store a sword and shield away with her twilighty magic, it would make sense that she does this for other items too.

He goes into pipes.

Has ever been in Italy though?

Whenever Link is in certain places in TP (eg, the room with Yeta lying in it in the Snowpeak Ruins), he somehow loses the ability to use bows, swords, ball-and-chain etc. What, could they not make it so you can't hurt NPCs? Would that logically not be easier than making it so you can?!
To stop you from stupidly wasting items?

To add my own:
-Medipacks or Potions magically disappear from the floor, healing you. No boxes are left behind, I guess the boxes that medicine comes in is made of food and also heals you.

-In games with guns, sometimes you get shot in the face and live. Somehow aspirin, bandages or armour can heal this.

Back
Top Bottom