• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Personality Counts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayame

Weeping Willow Pines.
Okay, so I'm not going to use names, but some webmasters/webmistresses are really, really unpleasant. It's one thing if you ask them irritating questions and they respond in an annoyed manner, but it's another if they are complete jerks to you for no reason whatsoever.

A nice little tale:

I was going this one Pokémon site and discovered a broken link. The helpful 404 page instructed me to report this (there's even a page for doing so).

I did so, using the form, making sure that I was informative and not pushy. I included my email address.

The webmistress snaps back at me later, telling me that she announced that the page in question wasn't up yet, acting like I'd done something incredibly unreasonable. Like I'm going to scour the news about the page before reporting it missing in action.

I was taken aback after this, and thought it idiotic that she put the broken link up in the first place.

Encounter two:

The webmistress was quite down after some flamers. (I never saw what they did, but they were reportedly mean.) I sent her a long and heartfelt email telling her what I liked about her site and how it had so much potential, how she deserved a break from her hobby if it wasn't enjoyable for her anymore, and how I hoped she would continue.

Her response was an irate one, telling me that she wasn't quitting, she was just taking a break, and other things. She completely disregarded the kind message.

I was taken aback some more.

Encounter three:

I happened to stumble upon the webmistress's dA a few days ago, and found that her newest journal entry was one annoyed at how some people say Xmas because it's "taking the Christ out of Christmas"!

I responded with:
Me! said:
Actually, calling Christmas Xmas isn't taking the Christ out of Christmas; the name Xmas is very old with the X standing for Christ....
Because of the Greek word for Christ being chi, and chi is represented by a symbol like a cross, it wasn't created to specifically spite Christians.

I'm not saying it's not demeaning to say Xmas, just saying that the word Xmas was not specifically created to demean Christ and not everyone using this word means disrespect.

And her response:
The Webmistress said:
>.>

<.<

Well you don't have to lecture me about it. -3-
Whatever. You think what you want, I'll think what I want.

-_-

I didn't mean for my message to sound confrontational, only informative, and here she is being really unprofessional. And hey, I stated facts. And she chooses to ignore them. Wow. I guess it isn't the place, but I was trying to help.

She sounds almost immature; certainly unpleasant. I was merely commenting and she responds with hostility.

I don't ever want to affiliate with her now, or associate. I don't even want to go back to her site or encourage her. I don't want to cheer on someone who bites my hand off everytime I talk to them.

In short, personalities count- your impression of a webmaster is very, very important. Take this as a lesson.

Wow. I think I know who you're talking about. And, from what I know about them, they do things like this all the time. :\

Anyway, I agree - a webmaster has their visitors to thank for even getting anywhere with their site. It's one thing if you keep getting stupid questions you covered in the site's FAQ or if your visitors are being obnoxious and bitchy themselves, but people like this person just seem to be taking their audience for granted. :\

I agree. If you want your site to be popular, it really does help to be a nice person. Tim Buckley learned this the hard way.

Agreed, a skill at being a webmaster is being nice.

These webmasters sound bad, and I never knew that dA's webmaster was like...never thought someone who made such a great place could be so mean.

She sounds like a spoilt brat with fans that bow to her every word. There's a lot of that on deviantART.

Agreed, a skill at being a webmaster is being nice.

These webmasters sound bad, and I never knew that dA's webmaster was like...never thought someone who made such a great place could be so mean.

No, no! I wasn't talking about whoever started dA. The third incident took place at dA, yes, but the first too happened at the fansite.

Yes, it's pretty obvious who I'm referring to- including our conversation makes it just that much easier to Google it and find out. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to discover it.

I thought maybe she was just like that to me, though, since I tend to get on many people's bad sides.

Oh, no, I've seen this person repeatedly demand respect from others while acting like this, and then when they don't get the respect they want, they throw little attentionwhoring fits and put their site on hiatus. I think this is more one particular person than something that happens a lot, but there are some rude webmasters out there.

Webmasters who act like everyone's going to love them no matter what they do tend to get on my nerves in general. As do webmasters who take support they get for granted. I had the misfortune of being asked to make graphics for this one guy who was starting up a Serebii-clone type Pokemon site. This was quite some time ago when I was still into making n00bish sites, but was apparently good enough at graphics to get this guy's attention. From what I could piece together, he'd been hanging around one of the big forums that I went on and grabbing people at random to basically throw together a website for him. It was summer and I was bored, so I figured, what the hell.

This guy repeatedly pestered me to make him new buttons and banners without offering any kind of feedback on them, with very unreasonable deadlines. He included absolutely no mention of me on his site; which I guess wasn't that big of a deal, considering the circumstances, but not even a brief mention on a thank you page was kind of saddening. Apparently he'd also gotten to one of my friends and was expecting him to get together an entire informational section of like 20 pages on G/S/C in less than 24 hours. After a while my friend and I both blocked him on AIM and just stopped interacting with him altogether. I don't think his site exists any more anyway. :V

Yes, it's pretty obvious who I'm referring to- including our conversation makes it just that much easier to Google it and find out. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to discover it.
:(((((

Curiosity overcame me, so I googled your conversation, and I didn't find anything. The fact that everyone else knows who this person is only makes it worse.

;_;

Oh, no, I've seen this person repeatedly demand respect from others while acting like this, and then when they don't get the respect they want, they throw little attentionwhoring fits and put their site on hiatus. I think this is more one particular person than something that happens a lot, but there are some rude webmasters out there.

It's strange that this person, while such an attentionwhore, still brushes off compassion and concern when you do something thoughtful for them. Seems they would at least reward me with some respect if I continued to praise them... But I guess any sort of thing that implies that they've done anything wrong is heresy! Some people seem to be nice to them; I feel sorry for these people, because they're trying so hard and most likely being brushed off... *sigh* I wish they would improve.

You handled the other situation with the unfair webmaster commendably- he sounds just outrageous.
Edit: I Googled the offending webmistress's name and 'jerk' and her friend's dA journal entries came up, annoyed. 0_o This is a bit of a problem. And people responded, saying they'd PMed the poster because they were afraid that the person would see their comments.

Last edited:
Okay, guys.

Stop it.

I want to know who this person is, and you're not making it any easier. ;__;

(anyway, if the person is such a dick to everyone, then why don't you call them out on it so that people know the person is a dick? if the person is a dick them surely they deserve to have people know it.)

The Greek for Christ isn't Chi, but it starts with the letter Chi, which for all intents and purposes looks identical in appearance to an X.

Quite frankly, she sounds like an idiot. It's terrible that she ignored your attempted kindness, really. As Retsu said, she doesn't sound like she's worth your time.

Since everyone wants to know and I don't see the harm (besides becoming her Person to Bash On of The Month; Artifical Flavour knows very well what I'm talking about...)

It's Kioso of Pokemlon Fictions.
And I am not alone in being plagued, as evidenced by these links.
(Sorry, the cached version is the only version I can find. You can Google some stuff to find the links.)

I've never even heard of that site, but then again I wouldn't be considered active in the fandom by anyone's standards.

EDIT: Hmm, I checked out the site, and while it wasn't awful awful, Retsu was right when he said it wasn't worth my time. :|

Last edited:
Oh, I remember this.

Pfft, just leave her alone. Soon she'll wonder why she doesn't have any friends. c:

I'd appreciate if you'd stop the bashing, please. It might well be the truth, but nobody can deny that this is very, very one-sided here, and excessive bashing of named persons is not allowed.

I admit I was being somewhat annoying by not giving up when I should of, though. I don't like that she removed the rant, though. It shows that she already knew what she put there was wrong, at least to her.

Last edited:
>>

<<

I know who you are talking about. I'm not naming names. Can we just ignore my friend and get on with life? I mean, it's not like you had to say something, because she DID say that it wasn't up until there were special character that appeared in the comic.

*grabs flame resistant armor*

Can't we just leave her alone?

EDIT: Just great NOW I read that you say the web alias and website. –.–

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom