• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokémon Lazuli Version

Lorem Ipsum

Pronoun
x
Pokémon Lazuli Version

So, I'm making a fangame again, in RPG Maker XP. My ultimate goal is to finish the game well, but the main problem is getting onto your feet, really. Because the first scenes of a game (getting your starter, rival battles, setting the scene generally) are the hardest to script. But anyway, I'm having a go, and felt that to gather some supporters, I'd better advertise here.

ALSO! I'm looking for as many people as possible to draw, sprite or describe new Fakemon, as I am in desperate need for them. Just suggest ideas to me, and I will tell you if the Pokémon is in. I'm looking for starters at the moment, so get designing for your place in the credits.

--Storyline--
Your name is Felix*. You are a 13 year old boy living in Alboe Town, a quiet place to the south of the Maito region. You've always dreamt of adventures with Pokémon, but have never achieved the feat of getting a Pokémon from the town's professor, Professor Redwood. Until one day. After being told by your mother to deliver a cake for Redwood, you get given a Pokémon to go and deliver a parcel to Professor Sequoia, the lively Spanish professor in the next town along. Yet on the way, you get mugged by by somebody who only identifies himself as a Pokémon League member. Yes, that's right. The Pokémon League are the baddies in this game; they have gone corrupt with power. Anyway, this robber takes your Pokémon, and after getting rescued by Sequoia, you are given a Pokémon native to the Maito region.

Friendly rivals with Sequoia's nephew, Alex*, who was also given a Pokémon, you vow to defeat all 8 Gym Leaders (they're League Executives in Lazuli) and bring the Champion crashing down, ending this madness. But who is in charge of the operations of the worldwide evil? Who will Felix eventually have to battle? Find out in Pokémon Lazuli Version!

* Names changeable ingame.

--Features--
Brand new Maito region
Exciting minigames
Brand new set of Pokémon
New attacks and abilites
A new type combinations
...and much much more!

--Screenshots--
Important stuff now; the screenshots =D
capture000.png
capture001.png

capture002.png
capture003.png

capture004.png
capture005.png

capture006.png
capture007.png

capture008.png
capture009.png

So, feedback?

Re: Pokémon Lazuli Version

Well the sprites are a tad shaky...but really there isn't much to say. You've just got screenshots and a plot.

--Storyline--
Your name is Felix*. You are a 13 Older than 10, sure, but these days everyone is older than 10. It's still too young, imo year old boy no girl gender choice? living in Alboe Town, a quiet place why is it always quiet? to the south of the Maito name derivation? region. You've always dreamt of adventures with Pokémon, but have never achieved the feat of getting a Pokémon from the town's professor, Professor Redwood you know, at this point, all tree-name professors sound trite. Not to mention I've heard of 50,000 other Redwoods... . Until one day. After being told by your mother to deliver a cake for Redwood THE CAKE IS A LIE, you get given a Pokémon ...I suppose it's just not safe enough to travel in between towns these days... to go and deliver a parcel to Professor Sequoia, the lively Spanish Um. Spain doesn't exist in the Pokemon world. Also, why couldn't she deliver it herself? professor in the next town along. Yet on the way, you get mugged by by somebody who only identifies himself as a Pokémon League member. Yes, that's right. The Pokémon League are the baddies in this game; they have gone corrupt with power. Y'know, initially I thought this was a good idea. And I s'pose it still is, what with a corrupt government and all... but you could make it less transparent. Anyway, this robber takes your Pokémon, and after getting rescued by Sequoia, you are given a Pokémon native to the Maito region.

Friendly rivals with Sequoia's nephew, Alex* Maybe have a rival that isn't related to the professor, for a change?, who was also given a Pokémon, you vow to defeat all 8 Gym Leaders (they're League Executives in Lazuli) and bring the Champion crashing down, ending this madness. Okay. WHY is this up to two 13-year-old boys? But who is in charge of the operations of the worldwide evil? Who cares? Who will Felix eventually have to battle? It's his father ohhh Find out in Pokémon Lazuli Version! Gee, that's funny, I thought that I would find that out in Acanthite...

There's this really cool thing that I learned how to do in order to criticize plots. And I know that I've already gone over it with you, but I haven't bolded it yet so I will do that now.

...Anyway, your plot seems to have stagnated since the last time I saw it. The characters are colorless and two-dimensional, and there doesn't seem to be much structure. And y'know the frustrating thing? You have potential here. I have faith that you can do better than this. Learn from your mistakes and don't let other people shape the path that your story takes. Make the characters interesting, and the plot twisty and compelling. Really, I'd advise putting all other work on hold, and just working on typing up the plot, from beginning to end, to develop it and patch up holes and make it interesting and new.

Also, the names (although this is a minor matter, really, but...) Just the region name and the professor names, really. Actually, just the professors; why not find the scientific genus of Redwood and Sequoia and name them after those? Instant originality!

You got my sprite crits too, I presume?

Spain doesn't exist in the Pokémon world
To be fair, what about all of those references to China and Japan in the Pokédex (Arcanine, Golduck)? What about the Silph Co. employee complaining about being transferred to Russia? The "Minnesota Vikings" quip in the first movie? There would be no point to those references if those places didn't exist in the Pokémon world to some extent. I see no problem with the person being Spanish... although I don't see much of a reason for it, either. Then again, I guess there wasn't much justification for Fantina being so deliberately French, so...

To make this a little more relevant, I might be able to help with the concepts for a few Pokémon. I don't think I could dedicate myself to another project at this time, and I sort of agree with the rest of what Twitch said and want to see what you'd think about that, but I might be able to do one or two if you have some sort of idea about what you want.

Last edited:

Why was Meta Knight Mexican in "Kirby Right Back At Ya!"?

Well, back on topic: I think you should design fakemon yourself. Sure, maybe get some help on the designs, but how hard is it to come up with what, maybe a 114 new species at most? I guess it can be challenging to be original, but it really isn't that hard.

And where do the names of the game and region come from? They look Asian, but where are they derived from?

Not really. I have done it, or something up in the 100s, before. Well, I didn't sprite them, but still. Seeing that the majority of "new" pokemon are the duplicates(Rattata and friends), babies, and evos. Then there are the starter pokemon and legends. After that there are the brand new species, which many have evolutions of, so I don't see how hard that could be. As for the movesets and stats, well I could understand having problems with them.

It really isn't hard to come up with a lot of fake Pokémon, no. I've made hundreds--I won't lie and say that I've been satisfied with them all, and quite a few have been scrapped, but others are salvageable and can still serve as good starting points for revision. I suppose there are those that consider themselves less creative than others, but still.

On the one hand, I do think it's a little tacky to ask other people to design Pokémon for you; on the other hand, though, if a group of people are involved in the creation of the fakemon, it's more of a community thing--everyone with an interest in the game can have a hand in designing the sorts of Pokémon that they want to see. In that respect, help, input and designs from other people are not a bad thing at all. The only real problem I have is when people go around asking for designs that were not specifically created for that game.

Spriting them and making them are separate things entirely, though. And besides, assuming you can find people with the time, how is making 114 new Pokémon for a fangame any different from making 135 new ones for RSE? Again, as long as you can find those with the time and the dedication it is no different from the way the official people do it.

He never actual said anything about 114 pokemans, I just said that to make a point. Still, you are probably right about how the designs turning out better and with more variety overall when the community works on them. But people really do need to take up more control when making their own fake game. What if I just turned up one day and said, "O hai, I need 124 knew pokeymans plz. kthnxbai."

However, DO NOT take that the wrong way Lorem. You should continue the way you are going, with some improvement of course. You just need to make your game stand out more, okay?

I only asked for a bit of help because my imagination is truly poor D:

Also, Involuntary Twitch, here are some of your questions answered.
I'm not sure about gender choice, but it's very possible that there is no female option.
Maito... isn't really derived from anything. Well, I guess it's a Japanisation of 'mighty', and maybe from the word 'mitre (the bishop's hat sort)', but apart from that, there's no real derivation.
The cake is, indeed a lie.
Redwood is a man, first off, and secondly, some undeveloped plot device stopped him from delivering.
On your advice, I'm making the League and characters less papery
When making the character, I forgot about the Oak-Gary relation. Probably develop this too
Yes, it's left to 13 year old boys. We have to maintain the tradition of outstanding child labour in Pokémon games.
I can tell you something now, it's /not/ his father. Oh and if Acanthite has exactly the same idea as I do for the champion I am going to shoot myself (figuratively, of course. It's not safe to play with guns, kids!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom