• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Live concerts

Tarvos

helt plötsligt blev det tyst
How many of you here are into seeing bands live? Seeing them in the studio is one thing, but watching stage performances...

I've been to quite a bunch, got 8 gigs lined up until April. Considering going to another one but it'd be the day before an already planned gig.

No one ever comes here :(. so I only get the opportunity when I'm in Dutchland or when it is close enough to drive or whatever.

that said, I love live shows :D. I've seen a few of my favourite artists (Nightwish twice, Placebo twice, Amanda Palmer once - greatest live show ever, Laibach once) and the odd band I happen to be curious in (Franz Ferdinand, Cold War Kids).

I want to see Björk live. But it is very very expensive. :(

Hmm. I don't know... I've never been to a live concert, and I don't think I'd like it much. I'm not a huge fan of crowded, noisy places. And I've been told that most bands sound worse live. I'm not so sure that's true, though; I take it you two would disagree?

Unfortunately, I haven't been to see any famous bands playing live. I have, however, been to see a band I know quite well around 3 or 4 times now.

If anyone is interested, their name is "Sixteen Stone Pig".

i'd love to go to a live concert. unfortunately, the nearest concert venue is at least sixty miles away; on top of that, most bands i'd like to see don't come on fridays or saturdays, so it's pretty much always going to be a no-show for me. cut copy was the only band i know of that ever came on a friday around here, but once i knew it was already sold out. i was in love with their new album at the time; i would've had a blast at that show.

Yes. Went to Download a few years back. Painful, and fun. Expensive, too. Some bands sound better live.

Metallica, for example.

Hmm. I don't know... I've never been to a live concert, and I don't think I'd like it much. I'm not a huge fan of crowded, noisy places. And I've been told that most bands sound worse live. I'm not so sure that's true, though; I take it you two would disagree?

Depends on the band. Some bands have a very different edge live, some bands just suck live, it depends on the studio production as well. There's no surefire way to tell. I've seen bands that bore the fuck out of me on record and I go wild live. It's just two very different things, listening to music quietly on your own, and actually watching them perform it.

I like the live environment because it allows the artists some tomfoolery and to present a different edge to the music. It's less polished but you just don't get the same interaction from your stereo or a DVD.

I'm kind of pathetic when it comes to this. I've only been to like five or six concerts. Wait, let me count...

Okay, yeah, I've been to six, but I've seen Bruce Springsteen twice. Then there was one concert that I had tickets to, but they canceled on really short notice which pissed me off. Of course, it was because one of the band members was very sick, so there's no one really to blame. But it still made me mad. >(

Anyway, out of those six concerts the best show was undoubtedly Radiohead. \m/ (>_<) \m/

EDIT: I would also like to take this opportunity to say how much I hate the word "gig".

Last edited:
My last.fm says 18 events... so 19 I think. Because of one I attended before I got last.fm.

I've only ever been to one
Queen + Paul Rodgers, last year

best day of my life

Knowing me I won't go to many others in my life but I definitely will go to at least some

I've seen AFI and some Christian rock bands [forced to go by church, worst music ever].

And I might be seeing Disturbed later this month.

When I was like eleven I went to an Avril Lavigne concert (:B) and two years ago I went to see Mika.
Mika's concert was amazing, lots of fun and one of the best, happiest evenings ever.

I've seen local bands... but that's pretty much it.

I've seen Weird Al in concert, which was cool, but also weird cause everyone there was really, really weird. >~<

also my parents wouldn't let me see 3 Inches of Blood/Behemoth/whoever else they were touring with (Nile, I think? Christ.) that was a while ago though

I've seen Maroon 5 in concert and I saw a lot of great bands that no-one outside of Australia has probably ever heard of. :]

I saw Dir en Grey live in Atlanta a while back...?
And a few local bands with sucky music.

they're fun experiences if you're prepared for large groups of people and unusual smells.

All of my favorite bands never leave Germany/Netherlands/Norway.

I'm awfully bitter about it.

They tour all of Europe's main places.....as far as I know anyway. It's just hard for those bands to crack US markets financially.

i'd love to go to a live concert. unfortunately, the nearest concert venue is at least sixty miles away; on top of that, most bands i'd like to see don't come on fridays or saturdays, so it's pretty much always going to be a no-show for me. cut copy was the only band i know of that ever came on a friday around here, but once i knew it was already sold out. i was in love with their new album at the time; i would've had a blast at that show.

60 miles isn't that far away. I regularly attend shows that far away.

Last edited:
60 miles isn't that far away. I regularly attend shows that far away.

i don't have my license yet, so i'd have to ask my parents to take me. that isn't a problem; the driving an hour to at least an hour concert and the hour-drive back is the problem. my parents also wouldn't be too keen on going to that venue, given that it's in a bad part of dc, according to someone i used to know. most of the bands i know come to that venue on weekdays, and since i'd have to set aside three hours on top of schoolwork, it can't always happen.

i don't have my license yet, so i'd have to ask my parents to take me. that isn't a problem; the driving an hour to at least an hour concert and the hour-drive back is the problem. my parents also wouldn't be too keen on going to that venue, given that it's in a bad part of dc, according to someone i used to know. most of the bands i know come to that venue on weekdays, and since i'd have to set aside three hours on top of schoolwork, it can't always happen.

I don't have my driving licence either. Is there no such thing as public transport?

Back
Top Bottom