• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Nintendo or Sony?

Nintendo or Sony?

• Nintendo

Votes: 46 64.8%
  • Sony

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • I like them both

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • Neither

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

EspeonUmbreon

Me and one of my friends are having an agruement over which is better: Nintendo or Sony?

My friend says that Sony is better because the PS3 has better graphics and better games.

I disagree with him, however. I say that Nintendo is better because the new DSi has cameras and DSs can connect to the Wii. And plus its a family console, so more people will buy it.

What's your say?

Typical Nintendo vs Sony topic. You kids should have been alive for the great Nintendo vs. Sega days.

And a camera? Seriously? The freaking GAME BOY had the Game Boy Camera, and that didn't go too well. And the reason the Wiis have sold so many is due to it being a casual gamer's delight. I was at a Christmas party with my coworkers at the vet clinic and a lot of them have Wiis and love the games. But lo and behold, here I am, a gamer at heart with a real gaming machine: The XBox 360.

FYI in terms of games, Valve has my love.

Playstations are cool
I guess, but Nintendo has
always been there, da?

[[Not voting due to having no input on Sony consoles.]]

Nintendo. At least they're trying to be original(as I see it), instead of making a Gamecube 2 or whatever, they made Wii. And they focus on other qualities than graphics- I've heard somewhere that the gaming experience is the most important to them.
Better games, well, that's for each person to decide. Personally, I prefer Nintendo games.

Plus, real gamers play Nintendo.

Last edited:
A 6-1 lead to Nintendo. expected no less from a pokémon forum. I voted Sony, though, as I don't like the way Nintendo is going.

Trying to be original? I'd call it trying to be everything Microsoft and Sony aren't.

Nintendo because they have more cheap gimmicks to make me love them.

Seriously though, Nintendo. They may have made a few mistakes in the past (eg virtual boy) but most of my favourite series are on their consoles and no others. It's not that I don't play non-series games, because I do. I just need Nintendo consoles for the series games, and even though they often have terrible third-party support, I just don't like buying more than one console.
I hate the 'graphics are better' argument because better graphics =/= better game overall. True, that if the same game came out on both the Wii and the PS3, you'd want it on the PS3, and I'm not saying that the PS3 lacks good games or anything.

I don't dislike Sony though. I do like Playstations, but again, I don't buy more than one console of the same generation, and I already have a Wii.

A 6-1 lead to Nintendo. expected no less from a pokémon forum.

I started liking pokemon at fourteen and the rest of the time i thought Sony was best, then I saw Pokémon and Kirby, not forgetting Captain Falcon and all the others I didn't mention. They so totally beat Sony any day

I voted Sony, though, as I don't like the way Nintendo is going.

What way is that?

Trying to be original? I'd call it trying to be everything Microsoft and Sony aren't.

in other words : original

Nintendo. As much as it pains me to see all of the rubbish games on the Wii(READ: Mario Party 8), there also many games for the "true" gamers out there. The two reasons I got the Wii were for Brawl and VC. Nintendo's library is effectively double that of Sony's or Microsoft's, and there are many fun games on the Wii. And the Playstation 3? Well, I haven't gotten a good taste of it yet, so I can't state my opinion, but the only games on it that have interested me so far are Little Big Planet and Metal Gear Solid 4. Sure, the graphics are nice, but if you don't have good gameplay then you should be shreadded apart. You know why Pokemon Red keeps dragging me back time and time again, dispite having played through it nearly a hundred times AND having Firered? Because the gameplay is good, there is so much to explore, and it has a certain charm that say, Ruby or Sapphire doesn't have. We still have the Super Nintendo and the N64, and we play them all of the time. The Xbox? Not so much. What about the 360? My brother plays it, but I hardly like any of the games, save for Halo 3 and some 3rd party titles. Sony's best game console, from my limited experiance, is the PS2, and unless the PS3 convinces me otherwise, I'm not giving them any of my money.

Typical Nintendo vs Sony topic. You kids should have been alive for the great Nintendo vs. Sega days.

And a camera? Seriously? The freaking GAME BOY had the Game Boy Camera, and that didn't go too well. And the reason the Wiis have sold so many is due to it being a casual gamer's delight. I was at a Christmas party with my coworkers at the vet clinic and a lot of them have Wiis and love the games. But lo and behold, here I am, a gamer at heart with a real gaming machine: The XBox 360.

FYI in terms of games, Valve has my love.

Yes I rememver that time. Well anyways here is what I think
Personally Nintendo has been going down and down in the last five to six years. I used to be a die hard Nintendo fan. Not anymore. I love Sony. They always have the newest Tech. The PS1 was the first console with CD-Roms and the PS2 had the DVD player. Now it's all about Blu-Ray.

I'm kinda stuck here.

Nintendo, however lame their offerings for 2009 look, seem to have put out more enjoyable games on the Wii than Sony has for the PS3. The DS is a bit better than the PSP for it's games. If more fun games came out on PSP, it would win by it's utility alone. Also, Nintendo has a rich gaming history behind it, and often has less PR scandals.

It's true that Sony's consoles are often on the cutting edge. Not only with the Playstations, the PSP can be used to do so many things besides game. A built-in DVD player is something I think should be an industry standard by now. A blu-ray player could be next.

Also, Sony makes TVs. Perhaps they're a bit pricey, but you definitely get your money's worth. I (used to) play my Nintendo consoles on a Sony TV. They're getting my consumer dollar anyway. Sony also makes laptops now, but they aren't the best. Their digital cameras are okay.

So... I'm going to say that Nintendo edges out over Sony (just barely, IMO) for gaming, but Sony makes other consumer electronics...

Last edited:
Sony.

Back then, Nintendo WAS the gamer's console. Now look at what it provides. E4 was crap; they provided casual games. The latest games for its stuff are aimed at people who think Samus is male.

As an introduction to gaming, sure. But Sony is still there with the basement dwellers, with the PS3 being given free internet access, plus games like Resistance 2 which are top-notch.

hrm.

it's a situation of "both have their advantages". truth be told, i feel absolutely no concept of loyalty to either company, and will buy any game that seems awesome at the time.

on the one hand, sony has the ps2, which essentially defined my childhood. on the other hand, nintendo has the GBA, which also essentially defined my childhood.

and i don't even really feel any antipathy for microsoft. i concede that it's probably the better console for more "hardcore" gamers. but eh.

main beef with the ps3 is that it's too fucking expensive. the wii has far too few interesting games amongst a sea of casual shit (although the backwards compatibility is a huge selling point for someone like me who never got the gamecube the first time around). xbox? too few rpgs.

as for handhelds, i have a ds and absolutely adore it, but my interest in the psp is *somewhat* piqued, if only for the remake of valkyrie profile. however, i'm not willing to shell out for one just yet. maybe if a friend or my cousin decides to get rid of theirs', but that's unlikely to happen.

Ahh, gamer wars. Personally, I like them both. I'll have to give Nintendo the edge for seniority and because its older consoles were pretty much the greatest things ever, but they're both good. I do think Nintendo's going a little overboard with the whole "casual gamer" thing, and I do wish they'd produce something that wasn't shovelware. On the other hand, I've never been what you call a "hardcore gamer", being more somewhere in the middle (I think the term's pretty silly, actually, as is the concept of "real gaming"), and I understand why Nintendo's doing what they're doing. It's a survival mechanism after the failure of their last console, and really, saying that games should be solely for hardcore players and people willing to put hours in to be good is pretty stupid.

But yeah, I've had tons of fun with both company's consoles (and the 360, too. Yay Halo and Left 4 Dead!) and I think the whole console war is silly. People like what they like, no need to berate them for it.

Personally Nintendo has been going down and down in the last five to six years. I used to be a die hard Nintendo fan. Not anymore. I love Sony. They always have the newest Tech. The PS1 was the first console with CD-Roms and the PS2 had the DVD player. Now it's all about Blu-Ray.

IMO, the newest tech isn't always the best. Some of us like watching old 8-bit Mario jumping around. Or in my case, 8-bit Kirby. So what if the Wii can't play dvds. Most families have a dvd player set up in the same room. And if they don't, they usually have some other way of watching dvds in the house.

Retsu said:
Microsoft > Sony > Nintendo

I don't particularly like Sony, but Nintendo is shit.

I'm guessing you are saying Nintendo is the worst of the 3. Why is that? Do you have a reason, or is it just one of those "ZOMG Nintendo doesn't like hardcore gamers due to bad graphics/few hardcore games" things. I can understand if you don't like most of the games on the Wii, but if you are going to hate something give a reason. (Well I just contradicted myself there, but I'm sure anyone who has played Mario Party 8 would understand why.)

Also:
The latest games for its stuff are aimed at people who think Samus is male.[/QOUTE]

I didn't think that was possible after Brawl came out.

Back
Top Bottom