• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Evolution of Your Musical Tastes

Zuu

printf("%s\n", user_title);
Basically, I'm interested in how many genres of music TCoDers had to go through to get to the genre they're "in" now. It's a random whim, but you can call it personal research I guess.

bold indicates that I still listen to it

Country/western -> Pop -> Pop-rock -> Thrash metal (yes, it was a huge jump) -> Power metal -> Folk metal -> Viking metal -> Melodic death metal -> Death metal -> Black metal

now my musical tastes are ... I guess you could say expanding (I've been experimenting in non-metal genres like hardcore and some alternative stuff, a little grunge here and there... I am by no means pretending they are metal, of course) so I'm not necessarily a metalhead anymore. However, I still love metal as the superior genre of music. |3

so go, and post

I'll go by favorite artists.

Britney Spears → Green Day → Ashlee Simpson → Evanescence → Within Temptation → Nightwish → Tristania → Flowing Tears

(I try to forget about the first three.)

Hmm...I'm probably making up genre names here, but oh well. I'm stealing your formula of bolding what I still listen to.

*sigh* Country-Pop -> Pop -> J-Pop -> Electronica -> Alternative, The Lighter Spectrum of Grunge -> Classic Rock -> Progressive Metal, Progressive Rock

Well, I've listened to Progressive Rock all my life thanks to my dad, but I never really, REALLY started to get into it until recently. Gabriel years Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd and Rush are all my favorite bands now.

Last edited:
Every year, around the end of the year, I make a CD of all my favourite songs at the time that I can fit on a single disk. I'd really recommend doing it; it's so, so much fun to go back and listen to my top 22 of 2003 or something X3

I'm hopeless with music genres and don't want Retsu et al shouting at me, so I'll spell it all out.

My first few (when I was about 11) were absolutely full of Pokemon songs; from the TV show, movies and the random CDs they released for no reason, like the Christmas album.

After that, I really got into videogame music, some of it BGM, but lots of vocal tracks, like the FF themes (like Memories of Life or Eyes on Me).

Then I was really into Japanese music, most of the time themes from animes I really liked, though there were a few singers I particularly liked (and I still love Angela Aki).

And a few years ago I really, really loved Bowling for Soup and I liked a few songs by other similar bands like Sum41 or Blink 182.

Then I discovered showmusic and for about a year and a half, my MP3 player was full of nothing but soundtracks to my favourite musicals; Wicked, Rent, Les Mis, Lion King and more.

And recently I've been listening to a lot of Barenaked Ladies (which wiki calls 'alternative rock') and, perhaps a little embarassingly, revisiting music my parents always used to play in the car when I was a kid; R.E.M., David Gray, Seal and Bruce Springsteen.

...and that's it so far :D

Pop--> Pop-Rock--> Pop-Punk--> Emo--> Old 90's Alternative Rock/Grunge That My Parents Have Always Loved and That I Just Realized I Love Too

I have no musical taste. My iPod consists of Guilty Pleasures.

And Danni, R.E.M. is awesome. Don't feel bad about it!

As a kid: Country music
My parents listened to it in the car, and it was all I knew.

Age 10-12: Pop Radio
I somehow obtained a radio, started listening to the station that all the other kids listened to, and decided this was much better than country music.

Age 13-14: Linkin Park and Evanescence
I thought listening to this made me deep and ANGSTY and awesome.

Age 14-15: Nightwish, Rammstein, other bands my friends liked and I thought they were more HARDCORE than Linkin Park and Evanescence
I still enjoy some of this stuff on occasion.

Age 16-now: Dance music, new wave, synthpop, some hard rock
I start realizing that I much prefer music that I can get up and flail about stupidly to. :D This begins my love for Duran Duran and other bands that everyone else probably hates. And this is where I am now.

started out with random songs from bands like Led Zeppelin, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd and The Beatles, and random classical pieces

-> got introduced to bands such as Dream Theater, Sonata Arctica, Porcupine Tree

-> got into metal more: Katatonia, Blind Guardian, Apocalyptica, Iron Maiden, Opeth, Dark Tranquillity, Wintersun, etc.

-> got into hard rock: Bon Jovi, Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith, Kiss, AC/DC to an extent, Deep Purple, etc.

-> well, didn't listen to stuff from a particular genre at any given time in this phase but this lasted long and still lasts I guess,
it's a mixture of pop / alt rock / prog / industrial / post-rock / etc. bands: Rammstein, Nevermore, Explosions In The Sky, Symphony X, God Is An Astronaut, The Smashing Pumpkins, R.E.M, Depeche Mode, Blackfield, Muse, Pain, Radiohead, Pain Of Salvation, KMFDM, etc. (basically listened to all of these a lot when I got into them until I moved onto the next), and listened to huge amounts of Iron Maiden, Bon Jovi and Porcupine Tree as well

-> now, iono, I can't be bothered to get new musics and usually don't have time to listen to music anyway, but when I do, I listen to pretty much everything I've listed, since I still like nearly everything I used to listen to more at one point

Pop(Britney) - PopRock(Matchbox 20) - Alternative Rock(Simple Plan) - Hard Rock(Metallica, Bob Rock era) - Heavy Metal(Motorhead) - Thrash metal(Testament) - Power metal(Iron Maiden) - Melodic Death metal (Dethklok)

Last edited:
Um, I've never considered myself to be "in" a particular genre. I like what I like, and it goes from classical to various flavours of metal to pop rock to psychedelic rock.

I like shit. I went from soft to metal to somewhere in between. I've found new bands from different genres and overdosed on a few, but right now I don't like any particular genre the most; I pick the best from each and leave the rest.

Hmm... I'll try my best to remember...

old Chinese pop -> soft rock -> dance music -> classical -> modern country -> old country -> American pop (I usually separate pop by nation) -> pop rock -> nu metal -> alternative rock -> J-pop -> J-rock -> ska punk -> heavy metal -> classic rock -> power metal -> -> indie rock -> Neue Deutsche härte -> hip hop/rap -> post-grunge -> grunge (the original stuff) -> acid jazz -> psychodelic rock -> new age -> -> K-pop

A bit tricky, as a lot of genres I regularly listen to, I listen to one band, and there's usually a bit of genre bleed involved too. As such, I usually don't consider what genres I listen to.

Last edited:
I'll just be like Retsu and say my favorite artists in order

Trout Fishing In America (this ridiculously awesome children's music band) > Bruce Springsteen > U2 > They Might Be Giants (idk but I used to be obsessed with them) > Arcade Fire > Radiohead

I went from...

Liking no music at all -> Whatever my mum played on the radio -> Whatever the opening theme for an anime was -> Whatever music was in a video game -> Japanese pop (first taste was in Kingdom Hearts, linking to previous) -> Whatever friends recommended to me -> Whatever friends listened to -> Random groups/musicians I found -> Whatever people I respected listened to

For Japanese pop I went from Koda Kumi to Utada Hikaru, you can see how my taste improved right there. =P

Basically I listened to nothing, then went on a huge Japanese music streak after thinking 'Wow, the stuff on the radio is utter crap! Let's see what's on the internet instead!', then slowly I've started listening to some of the better western music I can find.

I know you'll probably all despise me for listening to nothing but mostly Japanese stuff (although most of what I listen to isn't really mainstream anyway or what you'd normally think of when you hear 'Japanese pop'), and I refused to listen to anything non-Japanese for many years because I was quite happy listening to all the Japanese groups I liked. But now I've started to branch out a little. I picked up Emilie Autumn from Retsu, after all, and absolutely loved all of her works. (: The same goes for Snow Patrol. (I'd listen to more of the stuff that's popular on this forum, but that's pretty much a whole lot of metal, and I'm a girl who mostly listens to obscure, gentle New Age stuff, so yeah.)

children's music (barney, sesame street, etc.) > video game BGM > pop / rock > other

Hmm. Other is a very wide field.

Country->Oldies->Pop (still listen to 80's/90's pop)->Celtic/other music from around the world->anime/game music->smooth jazz

Back
Top Bottom