• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

One Shot Writing Contest! Goin for the Gold!

Charizard Morph

has doomed us all.
Okay, if this isn’t allowed (I didn’t see anything in the rules so I think I’m okay) or is in the wrong spot could someone please move/delete it?

One Shot Writing Contest! Goin for the gold!​

Right, I have decided to make a writing contest, mostly because I thought it would be fun, and I like reading peoples work, it makes me happy. I am going to need two other judges though. (unless this completely fails and no one signs up) And this is going to have two rounds, which will be explained in the rules.

Since I’m not really one for writing long rants about why or how I’m going to do things and confusing people, I’m going to go straight to the rules and explain everything there.

The Rules, please read all of them!

Basic Rules!
1. You have to write something original, nothing you’ve posted anywhere before. It has to be at least two pages long, but no more than seven, in times new roman, in size 12 font. I will check how long your story really is.

2. Your story cannot be R or M rated. I will only accept works that are PG-13 or under.

3. You can write a story about anything, fiction or nonfiction, Pokemon or Abraham Lincoln, and anything in between.

4. Spell check is your friend.

5. Your story must have a title.

6. This isn’t really a rule, but I suggest that as soon as you sign up you start writing your story.

Time Limits!

1. You must have signed up before or on March first, after that no more people will be able to sign up. There is no limit on how many people can participate.

2. You have to have a story posted by March Seventeenth (yes, I did just pick a random number) If you do not then your story will not be counted in the judging.

Posting Your Story!
1. You cannot change your story after you have posted it. You can edit it, but you cannot delete it and put a different story up.

2. You have to put your whole story in one post, you cannot just post half then put the other half up later. Only the first half will count if you do this.

3. Participants are not allowed to review or criticize other participants stories, if someone has spelt chicken or tyrannosaurus wrong they have to find it by themselves.

Do you want to be a judge?If you want to be a judge send me a PM with a link to something you’ve written and something you’ve reviewed. I will choose only two other judges, once I have decided I will not change my mind. Judges must be open to all types of writing, and cannot make decisions based on how much they like/dislike someone. Judges, under no circumstances at all, are allowed to post a story.

The lovely points and the second round! (If you want to be a judge you must read this section)

Okay, you can earn up to fifty points in the first round of this contest, in the second it is possible to have up to one-hundred for your final score. You will earn points for different sections, each section and how many points each section can give you are listed below.

Grammar and spelling: up to 10 (this should be self explanatory)

Characters: up to 10 (What do your characters look like, what is their motif/purpose? Is this clear in the story?)

Title: 5 (Does what you named it make sense?) If anyone fails at this section I am going to pull out all of my hair.)

These next three go together, and are pretty much the basic judging. First of all you have to have all of them, if your story is missing something important, like an ending, then you’re in trouble.

Beginning: up to 5

Middle: up to 5

End: up to 5

The final ten points! Drum roll please! Will be based on…..

Readability: up to 10 (Does it make sense? Can the judges read it without having to find a translator? Can you tell who is speaking, who has made an action?)

Okay, that’s it for the points. Now to explain the second round.

After the first round me and (hopefully) the other two judges will choose ten people, the ten with the best scores, to move on to the second and final round. In the final round the point system will be exactly the same, except in your final score both your score from the first round and the second are added together.

For the second round (if you make it) you have to write another story, at least three pages long, no more than eight, in size twelve font. I’ll tell you the time frame when the judging for the first round is over.

There will be three winners, and what you win is a lovely Plaque with the name of your story, and what you placed on it. Have fun!

Okay, that’s it for the rules. If you want to join just post saying so. Beneath is the list of participants and judges. Thank you.

Participants:​

Darksong
Sparkling Dragon
Ketsu
Greenumbreon
Ibiku
OrangeAipom
Dragon
Leafpool
Flora and Ashes
Animorph

Judges:
1. (me) Charizard Morph
2. Eeveelution
3. Open​

Last edited:
May I please enter the contest? :3 I love writing.

I hope others join so this thing actually works!

EDIT: Do I post the story here or in a separate thread?

Last edited:
Thanks Darksong, i hope so too. You post the story here, but wait until the sign up date is over.

Sparkling Dragon, you just signed up by saying you wanted too. :D

Yay! More people for the contest!

Just four more until the actual contest is possible! (if four more people don't sign up then i'll just change it for those who did.)

I'm looking forward to yours Ibiku, Midnight Archive was wonderful.

Please write something? XD

I already wrote mine, but I can't get it up until this weekend at best. Just a heads-up, even though the deadline isn't even close to that...

Ooh ooh I'll sign up. I wanted to before, but misread the deadline as February 17 >_>

So yeah. Expect much procrastination. And Times New Roman suuuucks can I use Calibri? :D

yay, only two more people and the contest will be able to be done as i intended!

Ya know, this is actually turning out better than i thought it would. XD As the deadline keeps aproaching i keep getting more excited!

Back
Top Bottom