• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Purely Online Relationships

Keta

indubitably ineffectual
Pronoun
they
Self-explanatory thread title.

Do online relationships, based purely on texts in forums, e-mails, chats, and the like really have a chance of succeeding?

Or do they require extra help- Skype, webcam communication, phone calls, etc.?

Will meeting in real life significantly improve or break down the relationship?

Discuss.

Online relationships suck. But I guess they could work. I feel having visuals like webcam and such help enourmously. As for meeting - depends on the people, but generally it could be good for the relationship.

They probably aren't for everyone, but if both parties are up for it and are willing to make it work, I don't see why it couldn't work out just fine. I think it's more of case-by-case basis, really.

I have an online relationship. I'd love to meet him in real life, but for some reason when I think of it, the idea sounds very...unrealistic. Or something. :<
Anyway. I think whether or not it'll work depends on the people involved...

Will meeting in real life significantly improve or break down the relationship?Discuss.

It'll either do one, or the other. You have to meet in real life eventually, if you don't, then it just falls apart. Meeting in RL is how you find out if the relationship will work or not.

The more stuff the better, I had a decent relationship using Msn & the Nintendo DS, (D/P WiFi is like a phone with free and unlimited calls, lmao).

But yeah, you need to meet in real life, if not the relationship will just gradually break down to nothing. I'd recomment waiting at least 6 months and about a year tops, if it lasts up to a year and still seems strong, it's worth it. Meeting before the first 3-5 months is just a waste of time.

It's ok if it's temporary, but you can't seriously expect a relationship to work with someone for years and years by sitting hunched up on a computer each and every day, can't even hug them! >>

I'm assuming "relationships" to mean romantic ones.
EDIT: as far as I can tell I'd apply all this to friendships too but that's not where I'm aiming this.

Do online relationships, based purely on texts in forums, e-mails, chats, and the like really have a chance of succeeding?
Yes, if the idea is that they won't keep being purely online if the relationship seems to work. I guess there are also people who get into relationships intending that it won't work and just looking for some temporary fun, but I wouldn't say those ever do or are intended to "work". I wouldn't use the word.

Keta said:
Or do they require extra help- Skype, webcam communication, phone calls, etc.?
Two of these are still purely online and the last is still remote, so I don't see how this changes the relationship's Internet level.

Keta said:
Will meeting in real life significantly improve or break down the relationship?
It shouldn't with two* sensible, balanced people, but I guess finding out is part of the point.

*or more, I suppose. wooo polyamory.

I've had unpleasant experiences with them. It takes a much larger amount of trust, I think. But if both parties are serious about it and are completely truthful, then I'm sure it could work, yeah.

It can work, but you need constant communication.

I've been in one and while it was short-lived (timeframe difference), we never fought or anything.

PURELY ONLINE = SHIT.

You kind of /have/ to meet eachother at some stage, otherwise what is the point?

I will now be annoying and add personal experiences!

Boyfriend #1. We were together for a year and a half without ever meeting, but that was because we lived thousands of miles away. He also cheated on me quite a number of times with people that lived a lot closer to him, and me being halfway accross the world I was unable to do anything about it really.
Also, the original plan was for him to move over here when he was 18 and I was 15. But if we ever split up (which obv. we did), what the hell would he do then?

Boyfriend #2. We weren't together for very long, due to the fact that his parents are the kind of people who think everyone on the tinternets is a bear or a pedo, so he wasn't able to meet me in person. With the relationship pretty much at a dead end because of that I broke it off.

Girlfriend #1. We've actually been together twice, but met up once in both and we're now planning to meet up again in April. This is one of the reasons why this is the best relationship I've been in :)

So uh I probably went a bit off topic but my point was if you can't actually physically be with the person then what is the point

I suppose the work, it just depends on the people...?

It's pretty easy to lie over the internet, really. I'm not saying everyone's a pedo or whatever, but I could easily say I was someone I wasn't if you guys didn't actually know me. I do know of some people who have had very nice internet relationships and who have met up in real life and stuff so.

I would be more comfortable with having them come and visit or somehow, though. I couldn't imagine never meeting the person.

I'm also not usually paranoid about people lying, because as I already said, the internets are not made up only of pedophiles who want your babies, but some people really are. D:

wait what :V

What the hell would be the point in a "we are together but never going to visit each other!" relationship? As in, why would they even happen? Do any of you honestly think those are at all the regular case?

What the hell would be the point in a "we are together but never going to visit each other!" relationship? As in, why would they even happen? Do any of you honestly think those are at all the regular case?
I've actually seen it happen way too often

you've seen it happen within communities of crazy teenagers based around Pokémon forums; that's not much of a sample 8)

Yeah it does happen, and there isn't any point to them

But they aren't like

Totally serious relationships :|

you've seen it happen within communities of crazy teenagers based around Pokémon forums; that's not much of a sample 8)
did I say that, did I?

I've seen it plenty of other places too but yes about 99% of them were teenagers

Honestly? I think they'd work if you put effort into them. You don't necessarily have to meet up if you don't feel confortable doing so though. That's just...like a bonus in my opinion.

Honestly? I think they'd work if you put effort into them. You don't necessarily have to meet up if you don't feel confortable doing so though. That's just...like a bonus in my opinion.

But if you never met up ever, then it'd just be a waste of time. :/

I suppose online relationships would struggle in the same vein as an offline relationship, although it would definitely have different obstacles to overcome. I can't help but question the motives of those who choose to participate in purely online relationships, though.

Back
Top Bottom