• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Watchmen

Butterfree

Still loves Joltik, though!
Staff member
Heartache staff
Pronoun
she/her
Seen the movie, read the comic, anything? Thoughts?

I saw the movie on Friday and am currently exactly halfway through the comic, and I sense an obsession coming on, so I had to make a thread. :D

Read three chapters so far. I am somehow not as impressed as all the hype has made me feel I should be.

So! I have just finished the final chapter of the graphic novel. :o Time to randomly compare the book and the movie because I feel like it!

Overall, I thought the film treated it reasonably well. The comic had a lot more background depth and explained interesting details that I'd been wondering about (e.g. how Rorschach made/obtained that ever-changing mask of his), but most of the things that were changed or left out were not particularly significant. Granted, I would probably miss a lot of it if I had read the comic first, but the advantage to seeing the film first is that you can really see it on its own terms, and contrary to some reviews I've seen, I did not find it confusing in the least despite knowing just about nothing of the source material at the time. The film got the meaning across nicely without feeling like it was cramming a long book into a film too short for the material, as tends to happen with faithful adaptations.

I also disagree with a Watchmen fan I talked to after the movie, who said the message felt jammed down our throats; I didn't find it particularly much more so than in the comic itself.

Now, the most major change is naturally the squid. I must say that although the squid is fun, the film's ending is superior from a storytelling perspective, if only because it makes Ozymandias' plot far more elegant and less needlessly complicated - in the book it seems really uncharacteristic of him to choose specifically to create a horror like the squid over all other possible options, although that could just be my movie-first self speaking - perhaps that was precisely the point in the original. It also ties things together more neatly and gives Dr. Manhattan back some of the importance he didn't really warrant in the original. The essence of the ending remains the same, however, so I think it's relatively unimportant in the long run.

Not exclusively. You also have the overly long sex scene in the middle (or at least I think you saw breasts in it? I'm not sure). Zack Snyder really has a thing for random overly long sex scenes, doesn't he? It was one of those things that bugged me about the movie; I can only watch characters having sex on screen for so long before I start really wanting to give them some privacy.

(The other main things that bugged me were
the random inclusion of Bubastis, which sadly turned out not to be that much less random in the comic, and the fact that the psychologist did not make any comment on the irony of subjecting Rorschach to the Rorschach test. :( And the fact that Rorschach could look at any of those ink blots and think anything but 'GIVE ME MY FACE BACK'. In the comic the ink blots at least didn't look quite like the patterns on Rorschach's mask.
)

I want to see this, mainly because it looks interesting. My brother has the graphic novel, so he is going to let me read it after he is done. But I want to see the film so badly.

I won't see it because it has nudity
So it's safe to assume that you don't have any mirrors in your bathroom. :P

The graphic novel is fucking rawk. Nowt else needs to be said, apart from READ THE DAMNED THING, CRETINS. Eagerly anticipating the movie, mostly because loads of people have said that it's actually not a horrid adaptation. Also not giving much of a shit about the whole "MAKING A MOVIE OUT OF WATCHMEN IS TANTAMOUNT TO BLASPHEMY" spiel.

The film looks so damn good, I really wanted to see it. Until I found out it was an 18. Which means I'll probably just wait until it comes out on DVD or something...

I haven't seen it, but I've read that there's a rape scene in there that could have been shown a bit more tastefully. Is that true?

A friend of mine watched it and thought it was a disappointment. :/
Might read the graphic novel though if I get the chance.

The actual rape (only attempted, technically) was really not portrayed as erotic in the least, though. :/ And though it's very violent, it's no more so than the rest of the movie. What bothers me about the rape is more the fact that she sort of fell in love with him and had consensual sex with him later anyway.

The actual rape (only attempted, technically) was really not portrayed as erotic in the least, though. :/ And though it's very violent, it's no more so than the rest of the movie. What bothers me about the rape is more the fact that she sort of fell in love with him and had consensual sex with him later anyway.
Well, at least it's true to the book.

Well, at least it's true to the book.
In the movie I'm pretty sure they were trying to make it slightly more acceptable, actually, with the line "I could never hate him. He gave me you." The book seemed to have her more blatantly in love with him after all of it, while that line implies she is more just reluctant to despise him because of her love for Laurie, leaving her latent feelings for him behind.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/485797

THIS SHOULD BE RELEVANT TO THIS THREAD'S INTERESTS
Hee, I saw that a while ago. I absolutely love pie-juggling Rorschach. And the unmistakably Hanna-Barbera Bubastis.

In other news, an Icelandic film critic wrote a downright bizarre review of Watchmen today, where he managed to completely forget the existence of Rorschach even while listing all the other main characters, described the conflict as the "good superheroes" fighting the "bad superheroes" (perhaps that's why he couldn't fit Rorschach in), and casually mentioned in the middle of it that oh, by the way, Ozymandias is the villain. What the hell.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom