• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Things you look for when making/joining an RP

Kai Lucifer

A traveller on the winds of time
Original characters. I hate it when people try to play a character from an existing series, like Link, Marth or Galleom, because they end up doing it so badly and not matching the character whatsoever. Plus, having your own character means you can develop him/her/it as much as you want without screwing up said personality.

Also, I like plots that have a considerable amount of time and effort spent on them. I mean, who really wants to join an RP that somebody strung together in five minutes? Oh, wait, sorry, I forgot, there are some who join an RP just for the sake of it. But lets ignore them.

Oh yeah, and RPs with a variety of different scenes in them.

An interesting plot. This doesn't necessarily have to be a scripted plot--even something as loose as, say, a school RP can have millions of possible events.

Actually, Kai, I have seen people play already existing characters quite well. Why don't you read through Rift in the Dimensions sometime?

Well, I don't usually feel compelled to join others' RPs, and since I only want to ever run one RP at a time, I don't join very many. The ones I do join have to seem like they're actually going to go somewhere (you know what I mean - not something that screams "here's this plot I slapped together in 5 minutes which I have no idea what I'm going to do with"), more likely than not, I won't join, say, the upteenth PMD RP unless there's something truly different about it, and it also depends on if it's something I really take interest in. There are RPs that sound like they're interesting, but they're really not my kind of style and I don't see myself posting frequently enough in them. Like, for me, I don't like RPs that take place in just one setting. These do have potential, but they're not the kind I like.

Also, I've learned my lesson, and I HATE HATE HATE when people invite me to their RP. More often than not, I'll feel guilty if I refuse unless I have a really good reason not to, and then when I do join, I'll do it with this half-baked character I thought up in two seconds and never get around to posting with them. I'm sorry, but if I like your RP enough to join it, I'll do it on my own.

Meh, I'm not sure, for the latest time I've only been wanting to join Pokémon/Nintendo-related RP's.

But a unique story is always enjoyed, and I often only join RP's made by Darksong/Full Metal Cookies people I know are good at making/being in a RP.

Fandom characters, because then I can easily look through what's already there to see if people suck.

Character-centered plots.

I usually check out the posts of the first few people who got accepted to see whether the RP is worth wasting my time on or not. If the people that got accepted have crappy sign-up forms (as in one-sentence descriptions with optional bad grammar and spelling), then the RP will probably be crap and I won't join. However, if the forms are good, or a bad form got rejected, then I'll go check out the plot to see if it's anything I may be interested in.

I usually join the Pokemon RP's, since I don't have enough knowledge of most other fandoms to join those RP's. I also prefer original RP's because I don't feel right controlling official characters. I feel like I'm violating the fandom somehow, like writing bad fanfiction.

An interesting plot is always appreciated.

But Crazy Linoone, once you write enough bad fanfiction it feels natural DDDDD:

Well, all I want is an RP with a developed plot, or one that'll stay alive for more than a while, or *gasp* maybe even finish. Usually why I join so many, because I know they'll all die, but sooner or later, one of these is going to live, and maybe finish.

By that same coin/token or however that saying goes, there's this RP I've been wanting to make but haven't, because of lame plot syndrome >_>

Eh, I don't really know what I look for.
I mean, if it's got epic scene potential I'll consider it, but you know, it's gotta be something I know. And know well.
And I don't really like things that are too dark. It makes me feel bad to put a character through so much pain just for the sake of a profile and getting into an RP.
So like, I'll join something more light-hearted, but I'm not going to join something where the characters were put through, say, years of horrifically painful experiments. ><

Homigawd my RP was posted as a good example!!!!1 <3

Anyway, a decent plot is all I ask for, as well as a DM who'll be patient and stick to the RP. Other than that, it's just a matter of personal taste for me.

and maybe finish.

Madness! I've only finished one RP in my entire life, and that was 5 years ago. I was beginning to plan a sequel with it's creator, but then the old Pokemon Crater forums went down. ;~;

So, uh, yeah, I honestly have not thought about the possibility of finishing an RP in years. I believe I'm too cynical to think I can join and finish one at this point. But please, prove me wrong.

Hmmm... What do I look for in joining an RP? Something that catches my eye, a sustainable plot, and fellow RPers I can live/keep up with.

What do I look for when I make an RP? Something that I think can grab other folks' attention and a sustainable plot.

Joining, I look for a good plot, a REASONABLE literacy level (two paragraphs is way over literate), good sign-ups, et cetera.

I pretty much give up at making them; half the time I get one or two sign-ups (usually if I have two, one's just ompletely messed up.), and the other half NOBODYjoins. Like I made this pretty cool (in my opinion at least) crossover and nobody joined. It disappointed me. Heck, the only reason one of my more recent ones made it past 20 posts was because my friend joined and didn't want it to die. ^^

A RP that includes everyone and don't split things up into groups. It gets way more confusing that way, and when I'm confused I don't post.

I also look for a good plot that's not "This thread is about how you can be a lightbulb." I'd rather have:

"All the lightbulbs on the planet Earth suddenly went out. You are one of them, and you must find out what caused your failure."

In fact, I'll call it "Quest of the Lightbulbs" :D

I also look for a good plot that's not "This thread is about how you can be a lightbulb." I'd rather have:

"All the lightbulbs on the planet Earth suddenly went out. You are one of them, and you must find out what caused your failure."

In fact, I'll call it "Quest of the Lightbulbs" :D

Bah. An even better lightbulb plot would be something like "More of your incandescent comrades have been brutally murdered by those compact flourescent ****ers! You and your remaining companions have decided to take matters into your own hands."

I'll stop now.

I remember there was one RP here that actually finished. I believe Light Mightyena made it! Ah, IF forums, good times.

Back
Top Bottom