• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

One-Shot Guardian Angel

Zephyr

We're all mad here
Just a random story that's been in my head; I'd love criticisms! Tell me if it's craptastic or whatever else. Oh yeah; this involves religous ideas, just things like heaven and guardian angels. Fairly generic.

I remeber now, that first time I came to Earth. I had been terrified; all the other angels had told me that I couldn't comprehend being a guardian angel. I didn't see what was the big deal; human's lives are so short, so insubstantial. What was there that was so frightening?
I was assigned to a girl. Her name was Melanie. I looked into her soul, when she was first born. I saw it in all its beauty, softly glowing, born pure and innocent. I looked at the child herself, and found that I cared little for her. Why should I care for this child who would last for a short, transient lifetime? I think, at first, my primary fixation was with her soul. That was what I thought I should protect, guide to heaven when it's earthly container died so fast.
Years went by, in a way no mortal can comprehend. I lived each day, and yet they were so short. I watched as the container for that beautiful soul lived, grew. She smiled, she walked and talked. And then one day, something happened. Somehow, the child ran away from her parents. She was lost in a store, crying. And suddenly, I felt saddened. Saddened because this child was lost, and alone. This surprised me. This girl, who would live in the barest sliver of time, touched me, one who would live forever. I had gathered my arms around her, and held her close. She couldn't feel me, but for some reason, she stopped crying. I held her like that, wings curled protectively until her parents found her. From that day on, I understood. The body could be as beautiful as the soul.
I watched her much more carefully after that. Suddenly, the days were longer, as I watched Melanie grow. I watched her, as she met other children, as she began school. I was always by her side, truly caring about her. When she slept, I still watched, gently touching her dreams.
Because of God's law, I couldn't directly interfere in her life. Because of this, I could not help when her heart was broken, when she made a bad decision. All I could do was touch her soul, encourage her with little whispers. Two times in her life, I moved the soul of another to help her, but that was all. She had to learn for herself, or she would never learn at all.
I was horrified, when one day, I realized how far she had aged. Too soon she would die, and everything I loved would be gone. I stayed by her side until the end, crying. I fled when the reaper came, unable to face watching her soul depart. I wandered the world for a year and a day, unable to find solace. The most beautiful part of my life was gone. No other human could replace her.
Finally, some vague sense of duty called me back. I returned to Heaven, woebegone. God waited there for me. He gently touched my arm, and showed me something that he held in his hand. It was that beautiful soul that I had seen when I first entered the world, now less beautiful after having seen it live it's life in a body that I had come to care for so much. I could hardly care that she had entered Heaven, because it did not matter to me. I was simply happy to see her, even in what now seemed to be a lesser form of her true self. Softly, her soul spoke to me.
"I remeber you," she said. "You were always there for me."
Carefully, I picked up her soul, held it close. And then God asked a question.
"As her guardian angel, you can now help her choose her fate. She can live again, with you as her guardian if you both with it. Or, she can live here forever as an angel."
I stared at this soul in my hands, so small and vunerable. I thought about how happy I would be, to always have her with me. How she would never be hurt or sad. But I also remebered how happy she had been on Earth. Her life hadn't been perfect, but she decided that she could be happy with it. How could I bear to see her die again? But if I left her to another angel, I would never be content.
Suddenly, the tiny, fragile soul in my arms spoke up.
"God, this angel has done me a great service. I now remember all that he did for me. So I ask now, that he be given a chance, a chance to live on Earth. And I swear that I will protect him, as best I may. He may not know I'm there, but I don't think that matters. He deserves a chance to know what I know."
And God smiled at her, and said,
"I think that's fair."

Back
Top Bottom