• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

french music thread

foreign contaminant

"tray ben," what's that mean?
basically, i am really just telling you to listen to the new phoenix song, but i realized that they are french, as are a lot of musicians i've come to like a lot recently, like serge gainsbourg or m83. i also noticed that, at least in american independent music, french artists have jammed a foot in the door for other groups from other countries to make it big here. in the last decade alone, america's given a lot of respect to acts like daft punk, air, phoenix, m83, serge gainsbourg (well, not *really* just in the last decade, but pitchfork recently gave the reissue of histoire de melody nelson a perfect score; i've found they usually know what they're talking about when it comes to old music).

well, each artist bar serge makes dance music, and they all bar serge sing in english. but i just love that french musicians can take things that are so outdated and make them sound new. daft punk made disco a little less cheesy; m83 takes 80s music and does with it what i felt it could all along.

there are loads of other good french musicians, too; i really like france gall, for example. if you like some french music, talk about it here, even if it's the same stuff i just talked about for a second.

Oh, Serge Gainsbourg is an absolute favourite! I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoys his music.
He did go through a lot of stylistic changes along the years, starting with a revival of the classical French style of music, followed by some reggae and then a sort of increasingly dance-y kind of deal. I must admit that I do not like his reggae period very much (or at all), but everything else is quite lovely.

What are you favourite songs? I'd be hard pressed to name all the ones I like, but the top ten would probably be Mon Légionnaire, Le Poinçonneur Des Lilas, Comic Strip, Elaeudanla Teïteïa (shame it's so short), L'acool, Ford Mustang, L'Eau À La Bouche, Sex Shop, Les Goémons and La Saison Des Pluies. Les Sucettes is great too, especially if you know the story behind it. It's hard though, because most of his songs have something great (even the creepy ones like La Décadance, Lemon Incest or Marilou Sous la Neige).
Then there's also the fact that the man was awesome in real life despite being a bum. I have a whole Word .doc with quotes of his :v

Pity his records are so hard to find nowadays, even in places like Belgium. I've only managed to find compilations or 'Fifty Best Songs' or things like that when I just want actual records.

But that's enough of him. I'll definitely be listening to the song you linked in about two or three days (depending on when my connection stops being terrible) and I'll check out the other artists you mentioned as well. I'm sad to say I only have one Daft Punk track, but I do know they're great nad that I should totally listen to them more.

Other artists I quite like are:
Benjamin Biolay, who's obviously heavily influenced by Serge (his song Dans La Merco Benz is quite reminiscent of Ford Mustang) but still very good. My favourite album of his is Trash Yéyé, but I've yet to find one I really dislike. He does a lot of World songs with depressing lyrics and he's basically the antithesis of Vincent Delerm, another famous French musician. They have a sort of rivarly going on, each criticizing the other for either being too happy or too sad :v

Mickey 3D. They're not a favourite and I o have mixed feelings, but they do have some pretty great songs such as Jeudi Pop Pop, Matador or La Mort du Peuple. One of their most recent albums, Tu Vas Pas Mourir de Rire, is pretty much awesome (even though the song Respire has been parodied to all hell).

Mylène Farmer is alright, but she's a bit too generic if you listen to a lot of English pop. Her music videos are always a pleasure to watch though, she really puts effort into them (except for Appelle Mon Numéro which was kind of shit).

Other artists with good tunes are Renan Luce and Carla Bruni (yeah, the President's wife), but they're not especially notable. I've been thinking of buying an M album to see what he's like but I haven't had the chance yet. All I know about him is that he has a pretty awesome 'do.

tl;dr: LALA FRENCHFAG CHIMING IN

France isn't represented very well in my music library, which is a shame because I have like 10 artists for most other major European countries.

Of note though is Mypollux, whose latest album Dédales is really solid all around.

well I already mentioned Gojira, but then there is also Demians, who rule, and Alcest.

French music is cool

There was this one band (they sung in french) but I forgot the name and my friend was the one who had the music :(

Back
Top Bottom