• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

D/P/Pt Is Platinum Redundant?

Notoriously Unknown

Quick, somebody come up with a witty response!
Just think about it, It's pretty much Diamond and Pearl with some extras and a semi-new stroyline. Why have a third in a series that would do alright with just two. Not only that, but wouldn't Platinum make the other two in the triligy obsolete? I loves Diamond, but I'm not going to go out and buy another Pokemon game that's pretty much the same except for a few changes and the adding of a battle fronteir-esque place.

Your thoughts on this fellow people?

*Coughyellowcrystalandemeraldcough*

The additions that were makes it awesome enough to spend another five hundred Swedish bucks to get it. Thank you very much.

Platinum actually did a thing Pearl and Diamond could not.
Make me able to get Tangrowth without a copy of the previous games, WHICH I HAD NONE.

Yeah, one could argue that it's just Nintendo/Game Freak trying to get more money out of you, but they've been releasing third versions since Pokemon started. As far as third versions go, I think Platinum is probably the best improved from its original two games.

You might want to argue that the Pokemon series itself is getting redundant; it's essentially the same thing over and over with just a few things changed or added. :V

Not for me, I never owned Diamond or Pearl. =P

But I can see your point. Platinum seems like D/P with the new features and the redesign. And more stuff to do after you catch all Pokemon and beat the Elite Four. But this is how the third versions tend to work.

Actually, no. It is different enough to warrent buying, especially since it has been almost 2 years since the first two came out. I personally like this story better, and how it ties some things up. (For example, Giratina's relation to Dialga and Palkia, more insight into Cyrus' plans, and even some tiny things like what the statue in Eterna said.)

Essentially, the third versions are improved enough to buy. I never really liked R/S, but Emerald actually brought the two together and kept my attention. Likewise, Platinum does the same.

I don't think it's redundant, really. It's more like how I actully want the different versions of the game to be. You know; the story is somewhat different, but it's still the same game. It makes it feel like it really is another version, since the only difference between the first two is Pokémon available.

So, in reality, Pearl is redundant :D

*Coughyellowcrystalandemeraldcough*

The additions that were makes it awesome enough to spend another five hundred Swedish bucks to get it. Thank you very much.

Come again? Är du svensk? o_o

No, I'm from Spain, we just use Swedish money to. ಠ_ಠ
Tänk för det är jag, även om jag skulle vilja komma från Japan, då skulla jag ha Platinum och teckningskunskaper vid det här laget!

Well, the third games basically give you more features and, in some cases, an improved storyline at the cost of needing to trade with two games

What I find interesting is that Platinum is the first third game with version exclusives (Tropius and Tangela being notable ones)

Anyways, it is a little redundant, but still neat

Well, actually thinking about it, it does make a little more sense to wait for something slightly more worthwhile. Platnium does have a few more features, yet, again, if we are talking here about Platnium in itself, the version exclusives are a noteable change.

If we're talking third-versions in general, I'll just agree with a lot of people and just say Diamond and Pearlare the redundant ones.

It's kind of silly to be raising this issue now with Platinum all of a sudden; out of all the third versions, it is probably by far the least redundant.

But in any case, it isn't really the third version that's redundant; it always has worthwhile changes and is pretty much strictly superior to its predecessors because the time it's been since their release gives the developers time to pinpoint what should be improved. I would not want them to stop releasing third versions, as that would prevent these improvements from ever being made. If you don't want to buy two games that are mostly the same, just wait for the third version in the first place.

Diamond and Pearl came out ages ago and some don't like waiting so long just to get a third version, most would rather pay the money. Plus you could transfer all your Pokemon from DP to Platinum and sell Diamond/Pearl, of course it wouldn't make up the whole price but it would sell for some.

I don't have DP because I actually waited for Platinum(WOW).

I like third versions because they always bring new things that improve from the old versions. It's well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom