• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Assistance with a Sprite I am working on

Icalasari

YAY! NEW AVATAR! :D
I HOPE it goes here...

Anyways, I need some help with a sprite. This is the basic outline of it:

JtagnSprite-Base1.png

I need opinions on it and ideas on how to make it cleaner

Last edited:
Wow.

First off what is it.

Second, the outline looks good to me. Better than anything I could've done.

Well use different colours for the outline (I'm assuming you're not going to do all the outlines in black, if so, it'll look terrible), like use a dark purple in parts that are purple, etc. It might be worth enlarging it slightly, because it looks quite busy atm.

So this is in Pokemon style, I assume? Because, see, if you have a choice in the matter I'd really recommend spriting it bigger-- 100x100 at the least. That little 80x80 box doesn't do it justice.

In terms of crit, you'd have to post a picture of what it's based on, and perhaps do a little more work, before I can get all nitty-gritty-critty. It looks pretty cool so far though, just the size thing.

Well, I wanted to do it in the Pokemon style because:

1) I am used to that style
2) I am doing it for an art project, and since I won't have enough time to do the other three (...They would be hell), well, I am going to do a Pokemon style animation instead
3) Gives him the chance to appear in a Pokemon hack :D

Anyways, I have the colouration and second frame done so you can get a better idea. I will provide the new sketch as soon as possible (the one currently in my deviant art scraps is crap compared to the new one)

JtagnSprite-Coloured1.png
JtagnSprite-Coloured2.png

Yeah, guess what my problem is now? >.< Any ideas on how I can create more contrast? If you are wondering what sort of shading style I am going for, well, look at Darkrai. In fact, look at Darkrai's shiny sprite and compare it to these two sprite, and you will find a striking resemblance

Also, with the eyes on the second frame, they are supposed to appear as if they are suddenly glowing brighter. Should I add another line of pixels around them so that they look more glowy like in the first frame?

EDIT: O.O Wow, how did I let THAT error slip past? First frame fixed

EDIT 2.0: It is my teacher's first time marking something such as a scratch sprite or animation (I am going with an entrance animation, followed by an attack). Can somebody make a short guide that I can hand her so that she knows how to mark it?

Last edited:
My first suggestion would be to make it lighter. Look at Darkrai; I assume it's supposed to be very dark and scary looking, but it's not all that dark when you look at the shades. It doesn't have to be super-dark to get the point across.

Also, the outlines aren't dark enough. On the top of the right (our right) wing thing, the outline is either non-existant or not dark enough, because it's really difficult to find. There seems to be a chunk missing, too; it'll look a lot smoother if you fill that in.

As for contrast, try changing some of the teal patches, like the one on the stomach and the one of the same color on the wing. Perhaps a pale red?

On the second frame, the spots and eyes don't really look that great when they don't have outlines that are a different color. My suggestion would be to use the color scheme of the first frame's spots, and then go back and make the first frame's spots darker. That should help make it look like they're brightening. =)

And as a last note, it's a little hard to tell what's going on with the arms, but I think that will be made clearer if the colors are lightened a little bit so the outlines are more visible.

Overall, though, I like this. =D It's an interesting Pokémon (is it a Pokémon? Or just a creature? Either way... ^^) and the design looks very neat (and creepy). I look forward to seeing it improve! =D

Ok, I figured out the problem.

You see, I have red green colour blindness. I forgot to take that into account

JtagnSprite-ColouredandFiltered.png
JtagnSprite-ColouredandFiltered2.png

I filtered them, fixed the eyes (they were bright even for me), and viola! Now they should look to you as they looked (the filters screw with my eyes as well) to me

Also, erm, if you noticed, he is supposed to have chunks missing from his wings and arms o.o;

Ah, I meant the chunk that I outlined in red (or, wait, does red green color blindness mean you can't see red? I'm unfamiliar with that sort of thing xD;; In any case, the bigger rectangle) looked like it was missing. But when I zoomed in I could see the outline there; the piece that I outlined in purple should be smoothed out, so it isn't so square. Right now it looks like you accidentally took the eraser and erased something, but if you smooth out that square, it will look a lot more natural.

I still think you need some darker outlines, though; on the left edge of the first frame, I can't see the outline, and it detracts a bit from the sprite.

Hmm, I think I see how the arms work now...

Ah, I meant the chunk that I outlined in red (or, wait, does red green color blindness mean you can't see red? I'm unfamiliar with that sort of thing xD;; In any case, the bigger rectangle) looked like it was missing. But when I zoomed in I could see the outline there; the piece that I outlined in purple should be smoothed out, so it isn't so square. Right now it looks like you accidentally took the eraser and erased something, but if you smooth out that square, it will look a lot more natural.

I still think you need some darker outlines, though; on the left edge of the first frame, I can't see the outline, and it detracts a bit from the sprite.

Hmm, I think I see how the arms work now...

Erm, you didn't put anything in a rectangle?

Ok, I see it now

BTW, that is a fake mouth there. That was the best I could do to show that

The outline on the upper left isn't there at all. I did that due to his body being more matte, not reflecting much light. =/

Back
Top Bottom