• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

So I got an SNES emulator..

Thorne

It's feeding time
Yes indeed, I download a SNES emulator yesterday, which mean I can play games I missed out on due being born 1995, hurrah. But I can't think of more good games the ones I already have, do anyone have any suggestions?

The games I have are the following:
Contra III: the Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country 3
Earthbound
Kirby Super Star
Megaman X
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario World
Super Mario RPG
Super Metroid

If you know a good game, just say the name and why it's good, and if you can find a ROM download that'd be great too.

Last edited:
There's a lot of ROMs that may be hard to find, as Nintedo has driven a lot of them offline thanks to the Virtual Console, so you may have to do some digging to get them. Honestly, I'm surprised you managed to find Super Metroid. (Which is an extremely epic game, BTW)

That said:

Earthbound
Kirby Superstar
Chrono Trigger (Okay, I've never played this game, but it gets so many good reviews that it's probably worth checking out)
Final Fantasy VI (See Chrono Trigger)

I'll most likely get Earthbound later on, but I didn't think of Kirby Super Star, I've been planning to get Super Start Ultra thought. (Whenever it decides to pop up in Europe)

I'm not very interested in Final Fantasy thought, never been, never will. And the art for Chrono Trigger is made by the guy who created my hate icon, Dragon Ball, so I have no interest what so ever in that game.

And the art for Chrono Trigger is made by the guy who created my hate icon, Dragon Ball, so I have no interest what so ever in that game.

As far as I know he didn't influence the plot or the gameplay, a minor irk regarding the character portraits will not ruin the game.
Although this may be my inner Chrono Trigger fanboy speaking.

Either way, I highly recommend Chrono Trigger, FFVI (just try them out at the very least :/) and Earthbound as well, along with Earthworm Jim and R-Type III.

I'd point out that KSS, Chrono Trigger, and FFVI have all had remakes made recently (KSS and Chrono Trigger for DS, and FFVI for the GBA) before saying anything else, since A) all of these remakes are portablet and B) remakes generally have at least some aspect of the game improved or reworked.

(I only noticed that the OP mentioned KSSU in a previous post after I wrote this all...)

That having been said, I can vouch for FFVI's status an excellent game readily. I enjoy its soundtrack and simply adore many of its characters, and find the unique way in which no one playable character seems immediately to be the main character a refreshing change from most RPGs.

Chrono Trigger, I've never played, but might like to. It's got a lot of big names on its development team, and I've heard good things about it from people who have played it. I'd echo GF0's plea to reconsider ignoring it on this ground, that, sure, the man who made DB may have been involved, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't be a great game.

I've heard good things about Secret of Mana, I might note, though I've never played it, either, but I haven't heard as much about it as I have about Chrono Trigger, if only because I might not talk to the right people. In any case, I know that it has some swell music. :B

I honestly have very little interest in RPG's, the exceptions to this rule is some Lord of the Rings game I played some time ago, and MOTHER 3, which is the best game ever made, and nothing will ever best it.

Chrono Trigger's actually really good-- the official art may be hideous, but the ingame sprites make up for it, and the story is epic and excellent and not to be missed. However, rather than downloading it, I'd advise shelling out $30 for the DS port-- all the fun and games, plus boosted translations, more endings, and it's portable!

I'd put Earthbound up higher on my list if I were you, you being such a fan of Mother3.

EDIT: SMRPG is an RPG too, in case you hadn't noticed xD

I know it is, which is why I lost interest in it after playing for around 15 or less minutes. But I have as said, no interest in most RPG's, so no Chrono Trigger for me.
And I already got Earthbound, and it's nowhere close to MOTHER 3.

Oh, man, it's been so long since I had an SNES. xD

You already have Kirby Superstar on your list; I remember really loving Kirby's Dreamland 3 as a kid. I honestly can't think of any others - I'm sitting here thinking and I keep getting SNES and N64 games mixed up. :P

Last edited:
And I already got Earthbound, and it's nowhere close to MOTHER 3.

Yeah...Earthbound starts off pretty damn slow. And it's unlikely you'll play it again after your first go-though. But it's worth at least one playthrough, if only for the epic, epic final three hours.

Yeah...Earthbound starts off pretty damn slow. And it's unlikely you'll play it again after your first go-though. But it's worth at least one playthrough, if only for the epic, epic final three hours.

I've honestly already lost interest for Earthbound too. DAMN YOU, FRANK FLY! *waves fist angrily*

Level up to level 6 or so, and Frank becomes a cakewalk if you spam Lifeup and burgers. This should be the only time in the game you'll have to do any substantial grinding. After this proper levels can be obtained just by getting from place to place. :D

Street Fighter II Turbo
Knights of the Round
Final Fight/2/3
Samurai Shodown
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time
Secret of Evermore (you said you had no interest in RPGs, but I don't know what else to put)

Well, my favorite SNES games tend to be RPGs, beat 'em ups, and 2D fighters.

Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu and its sequel-but-not-quite, Thracia 776. To summarise, both are strategy RPGs with perhaps a little less gameplay depth than other SRPGs, but a far greater degree of storyline and characterisation. Neither has seen a Western release, so you'll need to find a translation patch, but those are easy enough to find with a little digging around.

They're not quite everyone's cup of tea, but I'd recommend you try them at least once.

I can't believe nobody's suggested Yoshi's Island yet.

Also, if you got tired of Earthbound and Super Mario RPG that quickly, don't even bother with Chrono Trigger. It's not a bad game at all, but it really doesn't live up to all the "best game ever/best RPG ever" hype... and if you don't have much interest in RPGs, you most likely wouldn't like it much at all.

I'd recommend Tales of Phantasia, it's a great game much like (at least what I've heard of it) Tales of Symphonia or any other "Tales of" game. It'll need a translation patch, but it's worth it.

Back
Top Bottom