• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

GMO vs. Organic food products

Aura Cobalt

Banned
Are genetically modified food products harmful? Is organic food just a waste of time/money? (For those who may not know GMO stands for Genetically Modified Organsim)

In my opinion, we humans cannot make anything any better than it already is. The complex and inteligently designed world can not be improved, and altering it can cause disasterous disorders that were unintended. Think about how complex the world is. I believe in God, and I believe he knew what he was doing when he invented the universe's intricate processes.

Discuss.

As long as you know what you're putting into your digestive system, I think it's fine.

As for how we're unable to make anything better than it is... We've wiped smallpox from the earth completely, allowed nigh-instantaneous contact with others around the planet with stuff like phones and instant messaging, and we've allowed for incredible amounts of information on the Internet, and computers in general for that matter. Tell me those aren't improvements.

HEY LOOK IT'S A VEILED DEBATE ABOUT RELIGION

LET'S GO TO THE RELIGION THREAD INSTEAD, OKAY?

No not really, from what I've seen he manages to fit something about his religious beliefs into anything he ever posts.

As long as you know what you're putting into your digestive system, I think it's fine.

As for how we're unable to make anything better than it is... We've wiped smallpox from the earth completely, allowed nigh-instantaneous contact with others around the planet with stuff like phones and instant messaging, and we've allowed for incredible amounts of information on the Internet, and computers in general for that matter. Tell me those aren't improvements.

Those are improvements, but I'm talking about changing and editing life. All those examples you gave are inventing new things, not saying "Seriously, God? I can do better!"

HEY LOOK IT'S A VEILED DEBATE ABOUT RELIGION

LET'S GO TO THE RELIGION THREAD INSTEAD, OKAY?

Umm, I don't know about everyone else, but its kinda hard to debate about anything without going off of some religious belief. Of course there are some exceptions, but many of the threads here will have references to religion in some way/shape/form.

EDIT: Without me doing it first!!:angry:

Those are improvements, but I'm talking about changing and editing life. All those examples you gave are inventing new things, not saying "Seriously, God? I can do better!"

In a way, it could be considered as saying that. After all, we invented something to do something that "God" didn't give us in the first place, so it is, in a way, better than what "God" did.

... I think I see opaltiger's point here.

Umm, I don't know about everyone else, but its kinda hard to debate about anything without going off of some religious belief. Of course there are some exceptions, but many of the threads here will have references to religion in some way/shape/form.

see, by mentioning god in your first post you've instantly made it a debate about religion.

religion has absolutely no place in any debate, except one related to it. using religion as your argument, justification, source of data, or whatever else in a debate is, in most cases, simply not an acceptable standard.

so, those high-yield varieties that were instrumental in making many countries self-sufficient as far as food was concerned... not an improvement?

Oh, for fuck's sake! When the hell did this turn into a religious debate? I thought this was about food, not fucking religion! Who cares if OP has some sort of deity? I, for one, don't give a rat's ass, because this thread is about food, not petty slap-fights like this one.

On the subject of GMOs:

J.T. said:

The big problem with this is, how do you know what has been done to your food? Fruits don't have nutrition facts on them. So, GMOs are only fair if the consumer knows exactly what has been modified about the food. Which is why I think we should have labels for non-organic fruits and vegetables, because it's not really organic, after all.

Also, farmers' markets are owned by the local community, so buying from them helps the city's economy. It's also more likely for it to be organic, since it's not being grown by some big corporation.

Genetically modifying seeds may also harm the evolutionary chain. Like OP said, things were made with nature's control in mind, and I don't like the idea of replacing all of our corn with this genetic crap. It may have side effects later on that we don't know about yet (like some super-pest that was evolved to eat up our bug-repellent GMOs)

Last edited:
Guys. This discussion is getting way too heated, and I'll admit that it's largely my fault.

In a way, it could be considered as saying that. After all, we invented something to do something that "God" didn't give us in the first place, so it is, in a way, better than what "God" did.

I've been pushed into stating my religion yet again, please forgive me. In my opinion, maybee God intended for us to invent those things. He left us traces, clues we may follow, to unravel the mystery of His creation, Science. And, in the process of doing so, were able to create new things for our benefit. So, until humans can completely come up with their own fully funcional organism from scratch, we shouldn't be tampering with His work.

see, by mentioning god in your first post you've instantly made it a debate about religion.

Please understand that this was not meant to be completely based around religion.
They have been known to improve people's health as compared to artificial foods.

religion has absolutely no place in any debate, except one related to it. using religion as your argument, justification, source of data, or whatever else in a debate is, in most cases, simply not an acceptable standard.

Religion has every place in debate! I'm not trying to use it as my justification, rather, I am trying to explain it. If I say I belong to a certain religion, that should effect every area of my life, including how I live and my moral standings.

so, those high-yield varieties that were instrumental in making many countries self-sufficient as far as food was concerned... not an improvement?

No, not if they are causing serious health problems, they are not an improvement.

In my opinion, we humans cannot make anything any better than it already is. The complex and inteligently designed world can not be improved, and altering it can cause disasterous disorders that were unintended. Think about how complex the world is. I believe in God, and I believe he knew what he was doing when he invented the universe's intricate processes.
"you're wrong because there is no god"

how in the world do you plan to use religion in a debate without turning it into a debate on religion? the only options once you do are to
a) argue against it on theological grounds
b) argue against it on the grounds that the religion is wrong anyway

They have been known to improve people's health as compared to artificial foods.

Source?

Religion has every place in debate! I'm not trying to use it as my justification, rather, I am trying to explain it. If I say I belong to a certain religion, that should effect every area of my life, including how I live and my moral standings.

Not in this debate. See, we ourselves led to the creation of GMOs, not some religious sect. So, it's only natural that we should focus on the real situation at hand (organic foods, GMOs, whatever) and disregard anything else that is irrelevant. Including religion, because I feel that it does not play a factor in this subject.

No, not if they are causing serious health problems, they are not an improvement.

It depends on what kind of modification was used here. If it's high-yielding or drought-proof seeds, then that has a benefit. It could potentially make an entire species thrive where it once wasn't. On the other hand, though, I think we may bring a whole new set of problems. I don't know what those are, but just like inbreeding dogs, changes may reveal themselves after generations of modification.

So, I think we should have these modifications known to the market, so people can make smart choices about what they eat, and maybe boycott a food that's too controversial.

you're wrong because there is no god

2u53mls.jpg

How is that any better than saying there is a god?

Last edited:

but... they aren't o.o

I don't know what those are, but just like inbreeding dogs, changes may reveal themselves after generations of modification.

except that the reasons why inbreeding is a bad idea are very well known. I don't know, if it's a choice between "non-modified, some people starve" and "genetically modified, few people starve, we might have some hypothetical undefined problems at some unknown later date" I am going with the latter. Not to exaggerate, but there are countries in Africa (Somalia) in which the food situation could be resolved with a particular GM crop (disease-resistant bananas).

plus there has been kinda a lot of time for these problems to make themselves known.

So, I think we should have these modifications known to the market, so people can make smart choices about what they eat, and maybe boycott a food that's too controversial.

sure! the problem (at least in Europe) is people literally attacking fields that are growing GM crops for research purposes. I mean, you want to be sure GM food is safe? You kinda have to let them grow it first.

ps:

I don't contend that organic (organic. most crops, even non-GM, are hardly organic.) is likely better for you. but when it comes down to "nothing" or "less healthy GM food" (although I, too, would like a source on that), as in cases like drought, disease, etc., there really isn't much of an argument against. eta: plus, GM food is not artificial.

Although I must argue: saying "you're wrong because there is no god" is a hell of a lot more justifiable.

If you're really interested,
http://www.seedsofdeception.com/Public/GeneticRoulette/HealthRisksofGMFoodsSummaryDebate/index.cfm
http://salonesoterica.wordpress.com...you-want-to-avoid-genetically-modified-foods/
http://consciouschoice.com/2003/cc1611/gmofoodrisk1611.html

See, we ourselves led to the creation of GMOs, not some religious sect.

I'm not saying religion lead to the creation of GMO's. I'm saying maybee we should look at the extreeme complexity of life and think twice before we do something stupid.

So, it's only natural that we should focus on the real situation at hand (organic foods, GMOs, whatever) and disregard anything else that is irrelevant. Including religion, because I feel that it does not play a factor in this subject.

If that's how you feel, fine. You don't have to listen to anything on here. I feel differently. I'll admit, though, I may have overdone it a bit on the first post.

I'm saying maybee we should look at the extreeme complexity of life and think twice before we do something stupid.

What does the extreme complexity of life have to do with anything? And don't say "it's just right and if we meddle it will be bad!" or whatever, because, no, it isn't just right. Life fucks up a lot. We like to fix it when it does that so that bad things don't happen.

As much as I hate arguing with an Admin...

What does the extreme complexity of life have to do with anything? And don't say "it's just right and if we meddle it will be bad!" or whatever, because, no, it isn't just right.

To solve this problem, use deductive reasoning...
A)We see extreme complexity, and we know it could not happen randomly. Randomness does not create information.
B)There had to be an inteligent creator.
C)If there was an inteligent creator, then he must have known what he was doing (and would have enough inteligence to think of making improvements if they would make things better; what He didn't do, there was obviously a reason)
D)Since we don't even know the complete depth of all that is, we should be carefull until we fully understand every aspect of what we are doing.

Life f&*#s up a lot. We like to fix it when it does that so that bad things don't happen.

Ever think life is messed up because we made it that way?

I do not expect you to believe everything I am saying about religion; I am just stating my opinion because I think it is relevant.

A)We see extreme complexity, and we know it could not happen randomly. Randomness does not create information.
B)There had to be an inteligent creator.
C)If there was an inteligent creator, then he must have known what he was doing (and would have enough inteligence to think of making improvements if they would make things better; what He didn't do, there was obviously a reason)
D)Since we don't even know the complete depth of all that is, we should be carefull until we fully understand every aspect of what we are doing.

Let's assume B (I'll return to that). C doesn't follow. Why would a creator, no matter how intelligent, necessarily create things perfectly? Here:

A) Humans are intelligent.
B) Humans create things.
C) Some things humans create don't function correctly.
D) Therefore, an intelligent creator does not necessarily create perfect products.

But returning to A: I agree with you completely, but not in the way you think. Yes, life is complex. Yes, no way it got there randomly. Nope, randomness will create information only with the most vanishing of odds. But that doesn't mean there was a creator. The process of evolution by natural selection is not random, and by the way you've worded your points it's obvious you don't understand that.

Yes, the first step is random. Mutation is random. But evolution is more than just mutation: it's the natural selection bit that is important. Mutations are inevitably going to be either harmful, beneficial, or entirely neutral; ignoring the last option, which of the first two do you think will be passed on by the animal? The mutation that allows it to escape predators and other dangers, or the one that kills it early in life? The process is the exact opposite of random.

So, you see, your B point is rather flawed. The complexity of life is easily explainable without god, and, by Occam's Razor, that makes his existence entirely superfluous.

Ever think life is messed up because we made it that way?

I mean life as in "living things". Life fails to work all the time. There are plenty of flaws. Look at any of a number of disorders, genetic diseases, and so on: look at, for example, diabetes I, or more precisely, its treatment. Until the synthesis of insulin became available, cattle insulin was used instead; however, because it is very slightly different from human insulin, some people who took it for diabetes suffered ill effects because their body's immune system attacked the foreign protein. See? Life fucking up! And then we bright humans came along and solved the problem by synthesising the proper protein. And that example is merely the first to jump to mind: I can name plenty more, if you like.

As much as I hate arguing with an Admin...

Argue all you like. I am not magically omniscient just because I happen to be an admin on a small forum no one in the grand scheme of things really cares about.

Just don't be ignorant and don't ignore my points, okay? Nothing is more frustrating in a debate.

Last edited:
I'm going to ignore the intelligent design nonsense; I think opal's got that well in hand. On the topic of genetically modified foods, however...

Doctor Jimmy said:
Which is why I think we should have labels for non-organic fruits and vegetables, because it's not really organic, after all.
This is one of my major gripes about the term "organic." It's a cheap marketing ploy that implies that foods grown with commercial farming methods are somehow "inorganic" or "not organic" simply because they are grown with different methods. This is untrue; something "organic" is something derived from a living organism or formerly living organism. All fruits and vegetables are organic. "It's not really organic, after all" = no. The only difference between a genetically modified tomato and a regular tomato is that one is a slightly more recently, and perhaps extensively, designed product.

The only way you're going to get a "not really organic" fruit or vegetable is if you consider bricks an important part of your salad.

Doctor Jimmy said:
Like OP said, things were made with nature's control in mind, and I don't like the idea of replacing all of our corn with this genetic crap. It may have side effects later on that we don't know about yet (like some super-pest that was evolved to eat up our bug-repellent GMOs)

Wrong. There is no replacing "natural" foods with "genetically modified crap." The food that you eat today, whether it's labeled organic or not, is "genetically modified crap." Virtually all species that we consume products from today--cows, corn, bananas, etc.--have been domesticated by humans over the course of thousands of years of selective breeding. These things do not exist in the wild. They are not "natural." They have all been genetically modified by the work of human farmers over generation after generation. In fact, if humans were to magically get zapped off the earth in a couple of years, quite a few of them would rapidly die out, because they have been so heavily modified from their original wild form that they can no longer survive without cultivation. The only difference between a genetically modified ear of corn and a piece of corn grown "organically" on a farm somewhere is that the genetically modified corn has changes made to it more quickly and with much more accuracy than the original corn. Pest, drought, and disease resistance are all aspects of organisms we've modified over the years; yield is another. The only difference between genetic modification now and genetic modification for thousands of years before now is that it is now far easier and more efficient.

If you wish to not eat genetically modified foods because you fear their effects, I suggest that you find somewhere away from human influence with a wide variety of animals and plants for you to forage from. Almost anything edible that you can purchase at a store has been genetically modified, often to the point where it no longer even resembles the plant or animal that it began as. Corn, for example, used to be a wild grass with a few tough seeds growing at the top.

aruseusu7 said:
There is little research to support this, and it remains widely contested. The links that you provided as sources are... not very credible at best.

Last edited:
Although I must argue: saying "you're wrong because there is no god" is a hell of a lot more justifiable.

But returning to A: I agree with you completely, but not in the way you think. Yes, life is complex. Yes, no way it got there randomly. Nope, randomness will create information only with the most vanishing of odds. But that doesn't mean there was a creator. The process of evolution by natural selection is not random, and by the way you've worded your points it's obvious you don't understand that.

Yes, the first step is random. Mutation is random. But evolution is more than just mutation: it's the natural selection bit that is important. Mutations are inevitably going to be either harmful, beneficial, or entirely neutral; ignoring the last option, which of the first two do you think will be passed on by the animal? The mutation that allows it to escape predators and other dangers, or the one that kills it early in life? The process is the exact opposite of random.

I'm sorry, you seem to be contradicting yourself here and there. Could you be a little more clear on these parts?

Just don't be ignorant and don't ignore my points, okay? Nothing is more frustrating in a debate.

I'm not ignoring your points. Sorry, I will reply on the other parts later. Maybee a few days later. Sorry again.

Back
Top Bottom