• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Most Tragic/Sad Video Game Characters?

Thorne

It's feeding time
All characters vary greatly, some are pretty damn optimistic like Sonic, some are extreme pricks like Porky, and some are mostly evil like Bowser.
But then there are some characters, whose background, goals and atmosphere is just sad, the kind of character that makes you want to cry, that you feel actually feel bad for. If you've seen any kind of character like that, then post about it here.

I have four characters that comes in mind directly, and I'll Count Bleck from Super Paper Mario. While he tried to destroy the world, he was driven by the purest emotion, love. He had grown sick of the world, thinking it had taken everything away from him. The Second and Third goes hand in hand, as they are Lucas and Claus, the two Brothers was separated, just to meet and fight each other several, and in the end fight to the death, without realizing they were brothers, and in the end, Claus damaged himself mortally, and exchanged some final words with his brother before joining his dead mother in the most sad video game ending ever. But in the end, I think Giygas is the most tragic video game character I've ever seen. Being raised by humans who abducted for this reason, his "father" betrayed the trust of the alien race, stealing secret knowledge and escaping, leaving his wife and Giygas' "mother" This gave the aliens a reason to invade Earth, and Giygas was forced to separate from his mother, whom actually loved him as her own child. Giygas was forced to suppress his feelings of love, but these feelings of love became his defeat when he tried to invade Earth 80 years later. But infected with the thoughts of taking over Earth, Giygas removed his very own memories, and only filled himself with feelings of hatred and disgust of humans. These feelings became so strong they destroyed his body, leaving him the swirling red mass we commonly know, and later became so strong positive feelings killed him in the end.

But as said, what sad video game characters do you know?

You mentioned Lucas, but I'll mention him again: Lucas. Lucas Lucas Lucas. Jesus on a flaming unicycle, not only did he see his mother die a VERY violent death while trying to protect him and then have his brother disappear, but his father slowly forgot he existed out of grief for his wife, the townsfolk he once trusted slowly became apathetic to him as his entire world fell apart, he went on a literal bad trip where everyone he loved threatened to beat and humiliate him, and to kick it all off, he got to watch the cyborg abomination that was once his brother kill himself. THEN THE WORLD ENDED. (It gets better, though) If that ain't the most tragic character that still managed to somehow have a happy ending, I don't know who is.

Giygas is pretty tragic, too, but it's not quite as easy to read into as poor Lucas.

This threas is filled with spoilers...

And I was going to say Count Bleck... Hm...

Sephiran in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, maybe. And I guess Almedha is a sad sight as well...

And Bobbery in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, at least in the beginning.

Also, Ganondorf and Daphnes in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

...I never played Mother, though (EU release, pwease?)

Without a doubt, Mithos from Tales of Symphoniaaaa ;;
And, I think, Kuja from FFIX.

The thing I find most sympathetic about them is that
they're pretty much exactly the same as another member of your party (Kuja as Zidane, Mithos as Genis), except the circumstances were a little different, so they didn't turn out the same; Zidane has his friends, while Genis has his sister and friends, meaning they can cope with loss better and see things from a wider perspective. As Mithos puts it at the end of the game "you, who stand at the end of the path I chose not to follow".

I think ToS does the "different sides of the same coin" thing really well, with Mithos' trauma over losing his sister compared to Raine being there for Genis, and while they both despise humans for persecuting them simply for who they are, Genis manages not to act on his hatred because of his friends like Lloyd. They both want to make the world a better, safer place - Mithos probably wants this more than Genis - and they're both prepared to fight for what the believe in; Mithos just lets his grief overwhelm him and loses sight of what he and his sister wanted.

They also play the "character A would be the same as character B if not for Z" with Zelos and Celes (more to do with chance than choice), Zelos and Colette (Colette has loving family and friends, Zelos doesn't), Presea and Tabitha (Presea sees herself in Tabitha), Presea and Colette (when they both have their 'soulless' episodes)... even Forcystus is portrayed as being very sympathetic, where the group discusses how much of a saviour he was to the half-elves and how, if things were different, he could be on their side.

I love the moral ambiguity the ToS characters and villians have. The way I see it, nobody's pure good or evil; people make personal choices and should be held accountable (as Zelos puts it: "don't pretend to be the victim here - it doesn't come close to justifying the things you've done"), but really they're mostly just victims of circumstance.

And the moral of the story is I play ToS too much. I wish I could write about poverty and welfare as eloquently.

Lucas. End.

Giygas, Count Bleck, and Tippi are all pretty bad, but my god Lucas.

Also, normally I wouldn't do this, but CB, enlighten me. What is so bad about Shadow? Seriously, I like Shadow too, but putting his sob story up along with all these other tragic characters?

I second.. or rather, third Count Bleck. I can understand Lucas. Compared to Lucas Bleck doesn't have things that bad. But of course there's the fact that The love of his life was nearly killed because she wasn't of his tribe. In his despair and misery; thinking that there was nothing left to live for, he turned to the Dark Prognosticus to destroy all worlds, and then he learned that his love was still alive, and he had to watch as one of his minions killed his right-hand woman; and she loved him, and then was about to be killed by a psychotic clown. Even when that was over, he still sacrificed himself with the woman he loved to prevent the end of all worlds.

Then again, I might be biased towards anything related to SPM.

Shadow's tragedy is more meta than in-game. Think about it: In his original game, he was a reasonably cool anti-hero type who avoided being too ansgty and, end the end, died a pretty sad death. This would have been fine...but lo and behold, he comes back WITH ABSOLUTELY NO EXPLANATION WHATSOEVER in Heroes and from then on is consumed by the ARGH MARIA attitude that he, y'know, got over in the first damn game he appeared in and continues to be milked as the edgy and dark character of the franchise while being saddled with the most ridiculous backstory ever. (He was created with the DNA of aliens that came out of NOWHERE!)

Geez, at least E-102 Gamma had the decency to stay dead. (Sonic Battle doesn't count)

Last edited:
Lucas, for obvious reasons. Also Claus, seeing as he was killed(? looked like it at the end of chapter 1) by a Drago, and was then found by Porky and have his body/corpse reanimated and turned into a killing machine against his own will.

Also Shadow the Hedgehog, though his story is nowhere near Lucas or Claus'. He witnessed his only friend (Maria) die before being shot out of a capsule on a crash course to Earth. He then tries to fulfil Maria's wish to make the people on Earth happy but ends up joining with Eggman who wants to destroy the Earth and everything on it. Stuff happens (go play the game if you want to see the rest) and he dies. They should of kept Shadow dead, not bring him back with his 'im so emo and angsty' attitude :/

I'd say other characters, but I haven't played many video games that have tragic/sad characters XD

Last edited:
Link, specifically in Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. HE GETS NO RECOGNITION FOR ANYTHING! And that whole thing with Midna in TP..

I feel pretty sorry for the poor Marowak in Pokémon R/B/Y and FR/LG that got murdered by Team Rocket. To be honest I haven't played a huge amount of video games other than Pokémon, so I haven't come across enough to meet many sad characers.

Last edited:
Rhyme in The World Ends With you... First,
She gets run over by a car. Beat tries to save her, but in the end, both of them die.
. Next,
she tries to save Beat from a Shark Noise, therefore getting erased.
. After that,
she ends up on Beat's shoulder shoulder as a Noise, summoned from her pin. Konishi squishes her back to pin form.
She does manage to get a happy ending, however...
but there's absolutely no explanation as to how she came back or what's become of her memory.

Shadow's tragedy is more meta than in-game. Think about it: In his original game, he was a reasonably cool anti-hero type who avoided being too ansgty and, end the end, died a pretty sad death. This would have been fine...but lo and behold, he comes back WITH ABSOLUTELY NO EXPLANATION WHATSOEVER in Heroes and from then on is consumed by the ARGH MARIA attitude that he, y'know, got over in the first damn game he appeared in and continues to be milked as the edgy and dark character of the franchise while being saddled with the most ridiculous backstory ever. (He was created with the DNA of aliens that came out of NOWHERE!)

This.
SA2:B is the last decent Sonic console game imo. Sonic Advance and Sonic Battle are the shit, though- if just for the gameplay. Shadow is still there being angsty in Battle and Advance doesn't have much of a story that I remember. But that was kind of the point of Advance, I think. The Genesis games had minimal plot as well.

In my first playthrough of Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, through princess Eirika's story, Prince Lyon's end made me cry real, hot salty tears.
Once you mortally wound him he finally regains control of himself. He was in love with Eirika and pretty much did all that crazy stuff that ended up destroying himself, just for her. As for Ephraim's side of the story, he just wanted to feel like he was as fit to be a king as Ephraim. And then, he dies. Though killing him didn't even do any good because the Demon King rises anyway.
Also, Carlyle. (his name doesn't get spoiler tags 'cause he's such a minor character) You only ever run into him if you play Eirika's side of the story, but tale is pretty depressing. But it involves the family of my favorite character so maybe I'm kinda biased.
He's in love with Queen Ismaire (Joshua's mother) but she's just like, "No, dude. Sorry." Then you gotta kill him. (I always use Joshua to do so for dramatic effect; and they also have a special pre-battle dialogue.)

Is it obvious that Eirika's side of the story is my favorite one from FE:SS? Ephraim's is all... manly.

...everything Danni said about
Mithos
from Tales of Symphonia. Way to steal my words. D:

Aside from that, I also actually find
Joshua
from The World Ends With You to be a very sad character. I mean, think about it:
he's been the Composer for most likely hundreds of years, he has nobody who can really be close to him except for Mr. H, who isn't exactly the best of company for him because he's in it for the angels and has his own agenda. In addition, Joshua almost certainly died when he was a teenager, due to the appearance he takes in the RG, and the fact that he's the Composer means he chose not to come back to life, which is a very lonely decision in my opinion. And at the end of the game, one person has managed to get close to Joshua in a way that no one probably ever has before, and then Joshua decides to do the selfless thing and bring him and his friends back to life, which most likely means he'll be all alone again.

SA2:B is the last decent Sonic console game imo. Sonic Advance and Sonic Battle are the shit, though- if just for the gameplay. Shadow is still there being angsty in Battle and Advance doesn't have much of a story that I remember. But that was kind of the point of Advance, I think. The Genesis games had minimal plot as well.

Agreed. Sonic was one of my favorite video game characters, too. D:

and on that topic, this

Last edited:
Though I lol'd, the comic lies. The newer 2D Sonic games are "PRESS RIGHT GO FAST!". The old ones were actually very platformy and really, little more than faster, tighter Mario games. Very awesome faster, tighter Mario games.

Back
Top Bottom