• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What if Sonic & Mario were released now?

Bombsii

IM ON THE ROAD ON THE ROAD TO VIRIDIAN CITYYYY~
There's a lot of love for Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog these days. People just adore these mascots, they claim they are the best characters ever and have the best games. It's amazing how much people will tolerate from these two as well, Mario has become a real media sellout and Sonic has... well made a consistent list of terrible games. Yet people still buy into it unquestioning. Both Mario and Sonic got their start in the early years of gaming with the NES and Sega Genesis, and it strikes me that that's a possible reason as to their success. People remember how good they were back in the past and how they entertained them as kids (thank you Yahtzee) and as such they've become very popular so much so that they get a very undeserved free ride and get to make bad games and do stupid things and no one will question them.

However I'm playing the magical 'what if' game and suggesting that if back in the eighties Mario and Sonic had never been released, instead the very first Mario brothers was released on the Nintendo Wii and the very first Sonic game was too. Both of these games would have to offer little more than jumping from thing to thing and running fast. Next to games like Portal, Bioshock, Halo, Half Life, Metal Gear Solid, Gears of War, Mass Effect and various others I don't think these games would even be noticed. They wouldn't be popular.

Seriously imagine it, would Sonic and Mario even MATTER if they got their debut in this console generation?

It depends.

Mario was successful because it was fun, and the same goes with Sonic. It all depends on the console.

360? Not enough blood.
PS3? Not enough length.
Wii? Not enough interactivity.
With the handhelds, they're perfect.

Back
Top Bottom