• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Most Epic Boss Battles

Thorne

It's feeding time
A boss battle can be hard, easy or fun, but epic is none of the latter.

An epic boss battle is where you can almost feel the pressure on the main characters, maybe because of the music or the atmosphere, but when you look back at it, you say "Damn, that was epic"

I'd say the most epic boss battle I've had is against Zero Two in Kirby 64 is bloody epic, seeing the giant one-eyed angel from behind while the awesome music plays and the dark-red background. Just epic.

Metal Overlord from Sonic Heroes. You're battling up in a stormy sky against Metal Sonic, who's' now gone insane, and this battle will determine the fate of the world. Not to mention there's epic music playing.

Giygas. Straight up. Amazing music, amazing atmosphere, amazing EVERYTHING (except difficulty, but whatever). Giygas is the pure essence of mindfuck, and you can almost feel the horror that Ness and co must be experiencing.

Also, Mother Brain in Super Metroid. It starts out just like you fought her in the original except much easier, and you're like "Pfft, whatever." and kill her. And then she turns into one of the freakiest...things I've ever seen in a video game. And she's actually pretty tough, too. But the moment with the Hyper Beam is just so GOD DAMNED EPIC.

Chrono trigger, fighting Lavos. Not when you first see him at the Ocean Palice, but if you travel to the time period he awakens and destroys the world.
The final battle after you've defeated him in his shell form and his humanoid form is awesome. Great music, ever shifting field of play, and the pressure to save the world. Gets me every time.
The true Lavos looks like the creature from the black lagoon though. Fish man. XD

02 is quite epic. Just about any final fight in the Kirby series is epic, but that may just be my inner fanboy speaking. For example, in Super Star Ultra, Masked Dedede was epic. So was Kabula. Hmm...I'll have to think about this some more.

Anything in Zelda: Wind Waker. I nearly fell off the couch when I first saw Gohma.

But particularly the final battle with Ganondorf. What an atmosphere~

Hm...I think I'll go with the one boss Karol fights alone in Tales of Vesperia. (god I can't remember the name...)

Seriously, Karol's only about twelve, and he's always fought with Yuri and the party, not to mention the fact that right before the battle Yuri's all like "Run away, Karol, save yourself" cause he (and the entire party for that matter) are about to be eaten by said boss. That's gotta put a ton of pressure on poor Karol.

And of course there's the fact that the twelve year old wins in the end, and is totally out afterwards.

Sho Minamimoto in TWEWY.
His attack pattern is really fun to play against, the music playing is awesome and his quotes are brilliant. Plus, he's pretty hard if you haven't been grinding.

The Sonic/Blaze fight in Sonic Rush is amazingly awesome. It's pretty equal forces fighting against each other with similar techniques and the final attack reflects that really well. The music for the fight is equally epic.

Hm...I think I'll go with the one boss Karol fights alone in Tales of Vesperia. (god I can't remember the name...)

Seriously, Karol's only about twelve, and he's always fought with Yuri and the party, not to mention the fact that right before the battle Yuri's all like "Run away, Karol, save yourself" cause he (and the entire party for that matter) are about to be eaten by said boss. That's gotta put a ton of pressure on poor Karol.

And of course there's the fact that the twelve year old wins in the end, and is totally out afterwards.

Baitojoh was a bit of a pain for me, but that was only because I never have Karol in my team, so I don't really know what his moves look like, except for what I've seen in Nore139's combo exhibitions on Youtube >.>

Most epic boss battles for me:
First is definitely Dracula in Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia. He's actually hard, for one. Plus, he finally learned some new moves. Instead of just teleporting and shooting three fireballs, he shoots them in volleys of around 20 or so. Plus, after he's taken enough damage, he starts walking around, kicking you, and healing himself, and at the end, when he's almost dead, you have to use his own power against him, Dominus, in order to actually kill him.

My other one, is the final boss of Mana-Khemia, Vayne, the main character. For the duration of the entire fight, you're stuck without one of your biggest damage dealers, plus, an awesome song plays throughout the fight.

Oh, THAT'S the name.

Also spoilers can be more easily done [ispoiler]like this[/ispoiler]

One of Jenova's forms in Final Fantasy VII is pretty epic. It comes right after Aeris dies, and with Aeris' theme playing throughout the entire battle, it really shows how sad the characters must feel, and it's kind of mean to the player as well, since they need to focus on the game while their minds whirl with what just happened in the game.

EDIT: I forgot Kimahri's battle with the two Ronso that pretty much hated him. It was kind of sad, and you could feel the tension of Kimahri finally confronting his past during the battle. The music, and the fact that it was just him, made it really epic.

The two Ronso were easy to beat though :P

Last edited:
Biolizard (Sonic Adventure 2)
Lucemon (Digimon World Data Squad)
Cyrus (Pokemon D/P/P)
Bowser (Super Mario 64)
King K. Rool (Donkey Kong 64)
Galdon (Star Fox Adventures)
Tabuu (SSBB)
Sephiroth (FF7)
Kurt Zisa (Kingdom Hearts)

Back