• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

How do Pokemon reproduce?

Shiny Grimer

Pronoun
she/her, they/them
According to Professor Elm and a girl in Solaceon town, nobody has ever seen a Pokemon birth. Why is that? It seems conceivable that most animal-like Pokemon simply copulate (and somehow make an egg). However, how would the non-animal Pokemon, such as Voltorb and Magnemite, reproduce? WHy hasn't anyone seen a Pokemon birth? What's so mysterious about it? Why do old people freak out about it?

Rofl, I was half expecting the thread maker to be some 10 year old that hadn't had "the talk" yet.

Uhm, I don't really know. I would imagine that, since Pokemon is mainly aimed at children, it would be easier for Nintendo to just make them pop out of eggs without any other explanation. Kids will most likely just believe that and carry on killing the E4 with their legendary and think they're POGEYMAN MASTAHS.

That's my theory anyways.

The great stork legendary brings the egg, of course. (I actually have a Fakemon designed around that concept.)

Hence, "nobody has actually seen a Pokemon lay an egg." But then again, if that was true and sheer love alone can produce an adorable child, then why can only female-and-male partnerships breed? Hm? I think they're keeping it G-rated, for the same reason that Pokemon glow during evolution (morphing is ew to look at and would be a bitch to animate anyway) and eggs explode into tiny glittering fragments, rather than a gooey sticky mess. It also justifies HSOWA. So how's that for a mountain of explanations?

...Which isn't canon in at all, because it's a THEORY. Not that its a bad thing, its just that you guys quote Butterfree sometimes like she was god...

I would imagine the mammilians produce eggs like a Platypus would. As for the non-animal ones, I'm guessing the Ditto somehow makes the egg...or do they spit them out like Demon King Piccolo?

Most Pokémon probably reproduce the same way most (non single-celled) life on Earth reproduces... which is why there's no mention of it, to keep the games "kid-friendly."
If eggs just magically poofed into existence one day, there'd be no reason to have Egg Groups, or for some Pokémon only breeding with Dittos, or being unable to breed at all.

Some of the weirder ones probably have weirder ways of "laying" eggs... I can see Grimer/Muk and things like that spitting up eggs like Nameks, while the Gastly line might just mix their gases together to create an egg rather than doing the usual thing. Of course, interbreeding with non-gaseous species would be a little weird--some random Slugma crawls through a cloud of purple gas one day and then *POOF!*... she's pregnant!?

Things that only breed with Ditto probably don't have to do much at all--the Ditto could just split off a tiny chunk of itself and transform it into an egg. Making Ditto eggs must be more complicated than that, though, since the old "stuff two Dittos in the daycare place" method never turns up any Ditto eggs. Maybe they have to grow really, really big and then split in two, or something like that.

Well, they get married, buy a house and get properly settled in- furniture and so on- then just wait for a bit. Oh, and make sure they eat properly, three hot meals a day.
(Anyone who gets the reference is immediately awesome. RandomTyphoon and Dannichu, you're disqualified.)

Anyway, now the facetious answer is over and done with; the daycare center is the only place where Pokémon can do whatever it is that they do, for some bizarre reason, and the old couple who run it seem to be the most unobservant people on the planet. Therefore it is and forever shall be a mystery.

Well, they get married, buy a house and get properly settled in- furniture and so on- then just wait for a bit. Oh, and make sure they eat properly, three hot meals a day.
(Anyone who gets the reference is immediately awesome. RandomTyphoon and Dannichu, you're disqualified.)

...Aww, you're no fun. D:

However, I really think that Nintendo maay have not thought this out completly. I mean, sure the breeding groups and all, but never HOW they were created. They do have to keep it G.

My theory is that the mammilian Pokemon basiclly "breed" as normal. As for the other types, same evolution families and same species breeding probably have a specific way of breeding that has been engrained in their minds over time.

Ditto clearly has no genetic material of its own and must reproduce by fission. It helps one-gender species by temporarily taking on the form of the Pokémon and replacing the x chromosome with the y chromosome or vice-versa. Or something.

Genderless Pokémon are all genetically identical and reproduce through their own indeterminate ways, which is fancy-fancy talk for 'I am lazy'.

Anyway, now the facetious answer is over and done with; the daycare center is the only place where Pokémon can do whatever it is that they do, for some bizarre reason, and the old couple who run it seem to be the most unobservant people on the planet. Therefore it is and forever shall be a mystery.

It doesn't really explain the girl in Solaceon, but you do play as a 10-year-old. For all we know, they aren't telling you for the same reason Nintendo has kept the process hazy.

Why the Daycare Center, anyway?

I always thought of Pokemon as magical animals, so imagine they'd probably reproduce the same ways animals do. The whole thing about the daycare centre and eggs is so Ninty can keep the pokemon franchise G-rated.

With pokemon in the Gender Unknown egg group, it's a little different. I think that baltoy, claydol, bronzong, bronzor, lunatone, and solrock either occur naturally or are previously built, then a spirit inhabits them in some way (this is especially true of baltoy & claydol). Porygon, Magnemite, Voltorb, Beldum and Rotom are man-made and are equipped with AI in some form; I imagine they would reproduce by making copies of themselves. Ditto can breed with all of these 'mons as it can produce a body for either a spirit to inhabit (which baltoy etc would provide) or AI to be uploaded. I figure Staryu would reproduce the same way Starfish do.
As for Shedinja, I guess it kind of wouldn't reproduce at all as it's pretty much the shed skin of Nincada/Ninjask.

Last edited:
My theory is one that most people share, it's just through normal reproductive processes, except that Pokemon keeps it less vulgar.

As for pokemon like voltorb... manufacturing? (jk, but I don't have any other ideas)

Maybe Pokemon DON'T reproduce, but instead, were all evolved from tiny cells way way long ago. Legendary Pokemon like Regice are ONE OF A KIND, so there is no possible way for it to reproduce. If Pokemon do have intercourse, then they each have a way of doing that. Voltorb and other genderless Pokemon like that may have intercourse by itself (as do some very few actual species on earth do).

I think I know what Game Freak had in mind when they made the whole breeding thing, but didn't want to get sued, hence the 8-year-old girl and the master-of-all-dweebs professor Elm.

Genderless Pokemon:
Porygon/2/Z- two meet up in cyberspace and exchange bits of data
Magnimite/ton/zone / Rotom / Beldum/Metang/Metagross- two magnetically stick together and exchange pulses of electricity
Voltorb/Electrode- Two explode next to eachother. When they rejuvinate, an egg appears as well.
Baltoy/Claydol- I'm running out of ideas...
Unown- Unknown

Voltorb/Electrode- Two explode next to eachother. When they rejuvinate, an egg appears as well.

That would be amazing.

For Claydol, the Pokedex does mention that they were brought to life through exposure to a mysterious ray. It's entirely possible that they beam otherwise inactive Claydol with the same ray.

Back
Top Bottom