• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Body modification

Tarvos

helt plötsligt blev det tyst
Is anyone here into that stuff? Considering you're all in favour of gay marriage, atheism and all other sorts of heathen stuff are you in favour of what religious people would brand self-mutilation and what devotees would term the perfect bodily decoration?

I personally support body mods (I like seeing them on people for some strange reason, especially well thought-out ones) and I'm curious to know whether anyone agrees.

I don't expect this to be the same kind of WE'RE ALL IN FAVOUR consensus like on other topics so I am bringing it up.

What about hiding mods for work?

Pft, do whatever you want with your body.
I mean some stuff looks really retarded and will make it so they'll never get a job (not talking ye olde earrings/hidden tats/whatever but like cutting holes in your cheeks or tattooing your face or whatever) except stuff that has to do with modding but whatever makes them happy.

Hehe. Between my family of four (me, Grabby and parents) we have 29 piercings. Yeah, I think people should be able to do what they want with their bodies in regards to decoration. Personally, I think some stuff looks better than others (to me, septum rings will always be ugly, corset piercings will look good but are totally not worth it and genital pericings will be freaky - snake bites and small-medium flesh tubes are cool, though), but it's totally individual choice.

As for employers, I don't think it's very fair to make employees take out piercings and suchlike, but I do understand how it doesn't give a very professional appearance.

I don't know what to think about the law regarding ages and body modification - the fact you have to be 18 to get a tattoo done (in the UK) means some underage kids who really want them have to go to the dodgy places that don't take the law seriously - and therefore probably don't take hygine seriously, either.

eh, go ahead. tbh, i kinda think that piercing generally look a bit too garish, and tattoos are ugly and merely storing up trouble later down the line. but that's just my personal taste, and i'm not going to stop anyone.

as for employment and modding? pretty sensible really to force anyone that has to deal with the public to hide their stuff - just the same as why people are forced to wear suits: professionalism. however, if it's just your standard office job, then i don't see what difference it makes if you have a few piercings.

I don't care what others do to their bodies, and most tats and piercings look cool. But the extreme stuff - eyeball tats, inserting things under the skin, etc. - freaks me out.

And I think employees have the right not to hire someone if they look like the cat man, since it gives off the appearance that that person is not professional. There are places where the modded can get jobs though, so it's not like they're destitute.

It's your body - you have the right to do whatever you want to it. Granted, some of the more extreme stuff (cutting your tongue to look like a snake's, for example) has a lot of health risks and a lot of people are going to think it looks stupid, but if that's your thing then far be it for anyone to stop you.

I doubt I'd ever get a tattoo or a piercing; tattoos usually look like shit after you get old and I just don't like the idea of something metal dangling loosely from my skin, but that's just me.

On the subject of work and whatnot, I think it depends. If you're expected to dress formally for work every day, I can understand why an employer wouldn't appreciate you having piercings all over your face; if you're just a waiter at an Applebee's or something, I don't think it matters nearly as much.

I also don't see why schools don't allow piercings of any sort besides in the ears. From what I understand, it's because they're "a distraction" or something. Okay, if the kid comes to school wearing a Halloween costume or a bathing suit, I can see that as being pretty attentionwhoring - but most piercings aren't that distracting. :\

It also depends on the profession you have. I'm a postman, wearing silly amounts of piercings would be stupid.

I also don't see why schools don't allow piercings of any sort besides in the ears. From what I understand, it's because they're "a distraction" or something. Okay, if the kid comes to school wearing a Halloween costume or a bathing suit, I can see that as being pretty attentionwhoring - but most piercings aren't that distracting. :\

I totally agree; I remember this conversation taking place between my psychology teacher and a friend of mine who had a lip piercing after he told her to leave the classroom:

But why do you want me to leave?
Because of your piercing.
What's wrong with my piercing?
It's disrupting yours and other's learning.
Honestly, sir, I think you publicly shouting at me and kicking me out of class is disrupting everyone's learning a whole lot more than this little ring.

She was so great X3

Ah body modification. I don't like it, since I don't see why anyone would want to...destroy their bodies but do what you like.

As for work, I think employers are well within their rights to decide to make you hide your stuff. Businesses are professional places and some may consider peircings and tatoos and the like to be unprofessional. It depends, really.

yeah i don't see it as destroying your body in anyway. i personally love tattoos and piercings. i already have most of my tattoos that i want to get planned out and everything.

I dislike most body modifications, but I don't care if other people want them.

I do think they should tighten restrictions (or enforcement) on getting tattoos so fewer dumbasses walk around with something they got while either they or the tattooist were drunk. But that's more of "please enforce common sense".

as for drunk tattoos, or stupid things you did when you didn't have common sense...

i think the tattooist should be responsible enough to say "no i don't think i'm going to do that" when the person is obviously in a state where they aren't smart enough to think twice.

as for drunk tattoos, or stupid things you did when you didn't have common sense...

i think the tattooist should be responsible enough to say "no i don't think i'm going to do that" when the person is obviously in a state where they aren't smart enough to think twice.

True that.

i think some tattoos are awesome
peircings CAN be creepy
fake...i hope this works breasts
are creepy.
and fake ...everything...
tattoos are the most i would do, im getting inuzuka fangs on my cheeks (unless Dewgong says nono) ^_^

I'd prefer it if it was entirely up to the tattooist, but since that doesn't seem to be the case fairly frequently, I am entirely in favour of regulating it and enforcing regulations to get people from doing stuff to their bodies that they can't undo while temporarily stupid. Permanently stupid, though....

I am entirely in favour of regulating it and enforcing regulations to get people from doing stuff to their bodies that they can't undo while temporarily stupid.

well, you can burn tattoos off.

Well replacing a shitty tattoo with a huge burn scar isn't exactly a big improvement (unless it's like a swastika sleeve or a dick or something equally retarded to get drawn on your body forever)

Back
Top Bottom