• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Swine Flu- is it really as critical as everyone assumes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicNintendo

Happy 15th, Pokemon!
Everyone's heard of this. Swine Flu. It started in Mexico and spread to the US. People in New York have been killed, and a schools has been closed in Rhode Island due to this. But is it really as bad as everyone speculates?

No, if everyone takes the proper precautions and stays smart and alert. We in the US are probably fine even if we do get sick, but what you need to worry about is not getting infected in the first place.

I'm of two minds on this one.

One; just like bird flu and all the other recent pandemic scares of recent times, it'll boil down and blow over within a couple of weaks.

Two; unlike bird flu, swine flu can spread human-to-human. A man from Limerick (here in Ireland) has swine flu and is being treated with tamiflu or whatever it's called. But he was on a god-knows-how-many-hour-long flight back to Ireland from Mexico with god-knows-how-many-people from god-knows-how-many-different-countries. Everyone on that plane is fairly likely to have the swine flu virus in them and even though it might not be active in them, it could still spread to other people whom they're in contact with. The thing about swine flu is it's attacking people with good immune systems and making it attack them, it's a more selective virus than others. So you could have the virus inside you but not be susceptible to the symptoms, pass it on to someone else with a better immune system and they start getting attacked. It's a lot more complex than people are giving it credit for and its selective nature means that hundreds of people could have the virus in their systems but not be suffering from the flu.

Not going to be a big deal, likely to blow over in a few weeks, et cetera.

I've started using hand sanitizer, but I'm not really concerned at all.

Am I right in thinking that only about one in every twelve million people have been confirmed to have this?

I don't think it's anything to worry about, i'm actually more curious than scared. I'm wondering if catching and recovering from this mutation of the flu would build an immunity to this particular strain, or if being exposed to the progenitor virus would render any resistance to it's future mutations. I doubt the latter, but in either case I actually want to catch it..

Am I right in thinking that only about one in every twelve million people have been confirmed to have this?
That equates to about 558 people in the entire world, I'm pretty sure I heard the radio say "70/1000 mexicans who had it died" about a week ago.

"The outbreak caused alarm in Mexico, where more than 1,000 people have been sickened."
lol sickened..

So yeah, just Mexico = 1 in every 6 million; add the other countries who have confirmed cases, and you'd probably be looking at about 1 in every 3-5 million, give or take.

It's not as critical as 'everyone assumes' because most people are only hearing the information on television, which goes on about how everyone is worried about it and how it's a pandemic and stuff without disclosing a lot of the important information, like the 5% death rate.
A lot of people are assuming that swine flu = death, which isn't the case, so it's safe to say that it's not nearly as critical as people are assuming. What health organisations are worried about is if it mutates further to resist the medication that is being given for it, particularly as there are scientists currently trying to create a vaccine.

No, it's not. My mum knows several people who have it, and one of them has a few children who are now suspected to have it. They had a fever, burning up, usual flu symptoms. Usual flu symptoms.

In Mexico, yes, it's not good. But for North America? Most of Europe? It's just your usual flu, and will fade out soon because the government have been freaking. And people seem to forget that people who 'have' the disease won't in about seven days. It's not like a terminal illness. >_<

everythings all "possibe case" nothingness. i mean, where im from, the state only has 1 confirmed case, and one person was thought to have it, but had regular flu...
i mean REALLY!

all i know is that there is one confirmed case where i live. in my city.

it's dumb though. if it's pretty much like a regular flu all the hype is just stupid. why aren't we freaking out about the regular flu then?

because regular flu is already common enough that everyone knows about it and most people can fight it properly with vaccinations et al.

swine flu is a totally different form so would kill more people because human bodies are less resistant to it

Swine flu is not not being taken seriously at my school anymore. We would joke about swine flu (as in, OMG I just saw a Mexican I must have swine flu now).

It's not big of a deal. Regular flu kills more than 1000 people every year and the only people who have good health care that died were two really young babies, and since babies have weak immune systems, they don't really count.

It'll just blow over like the bird flu.

Regular flu kills 36,000 people a year.
My mom has bought masks and she thinks she will die, she even asked if people sere sick today. PEOPLE ARE SICK EVERY DAY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom