• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The saddest video game moments?

Thorne

It's feeding time
Ok, as title says, tell us about your saddest video game moments you remember. While I did a thread similar to this, it wasn't quite the same, so anyway, just go ahead, talk about the most moving moments in any video game you've played.

I have three, no, FOUR, moments that comes into mind. all but one of them are spoilers, so be warned.

First, MOTHER 3, Hinawa's death, it was such a shock if you didn't know it was coming up, really. The next is spoilers, but most of you might know it already, The final battle/Claus' death, I cried for 20 minutes, really, I felt really, really bad right there.

Next, both is from the first Klonoa and it's remake. Grandpa's death, it wasn't as touching as Claus' death, but still sad.
And then second but more sad thing, the ending, it was as touching as the ending of MOTHER 3. Klonoa finds out that everything he remembers is a lie, and that he was brought to Phantomile by hewpoe to restore balance, and that he have to return to his own world, but Klonoa does obviously not want to. The two inseparable friends are separated, I didn't cry while watching, but I do while thinking back at it.

Beat and Rhyme's backstory in The World Ends With You. But then again, it hit an incredibly tender point, sooo...

Oh and the ending of NiGHTS Journey of Dreams, since I wasn't expecting... that. (The secret ending)

Last edited:
The ending of Exit Fate completely broke my heart. It might have had something to do with the fact that I'd hated a certain character's guts up until about five minutes before the end... and then they died. ;_;

Ion's Death. The fact that he was so sweet while his original and Sync were such jerkasses... It's just kind of heartbreaking all around.

It was so sad that I couldn't bring myself to laugh when I accidentally left Luke in his swim trunks.

The Nebilim sidequest is kind of gut-wrenching, too, in its own twisted way. Shame that they didn't get actual twelve-year-olds to voice kid!Jade and kid!Saphir, though. Having Liam O'Brian and Kirk Thornton do the voices just made the flashback seem silly, instead of being one of the most horrible and traumatic scenes in that game.

And then there's Luke's fonon dissipation. Charging into the final dungeon, knowing that you're going to die no matter the outcome of the battle...

That game has way too many tear jerker moments.

I'd like to elaborate on Mother 3 a bit, because really, any time in the game you weren't laughing, you were crying.

Holy shit, Hinawa's death threw me for a loop. Not because I didn't see it coming, but just how they pulled it off. You got to name her about an hour before she was killed off, for God's sake. But it was Flint's reaction that got to me the most. Mother 3's brilliant sprite animations really helped his violent breakdown seem agonizingly real. Also, I definitely saw it coming, but when it zoomed in to Claus's still body, I gasped a bit. And the final battle....dear God. I spoiled it for myself by reading the translation script early (this was before the patch came out) and I STILL sobbed buckets.

And there was an odd sort of tear-jerker for me in the game: After the three-year jump, I got bored and decided to trek back to Alec's house...only to find it absolutely demolished. And that Alec himself had been shoved into a filthy retirement home. Please tell me I'm not the only one who found that heart-breaking.

Outside of Mother 3, there's the death of The Boss from Metal Gear Solid 3. Fuck, I never even played the game and only know the outline of the story, yet just watching it made me cry. The same goes for the good ending of Bioshock, though I knew a little more about what was going on. If I ever get around to playing it, I'll never harvest a Little Sister, ever. ;_;.

And then there's Luke's fonon dissipation. Charging into the final dungeon, knowing that you're going to die no matter the outcome of the battle...

Don't forget that there was the set of sidequests that would explain exactly what would happen to Luke. If you go by those, we can assume that Asch was resurrected, even after becoming a human pincushion, but with all of Luke's memories and mannerisms. So essentially, Luke lived.

Though it IS still very sad though, no matter how you look at it.

Eurgh~ I only really liked the first part of that sidequest; the rest seemed to get jumbled up. Y'know, the part where you find out that Jade fused his spear into his arm? It just struck me as funny, for some reason. I suppose it wouldn't technically be hammerspace, though. Maybe halberdspace would be a better name for it?

On another note, to keep things relevant~

Chairon's death. Aside from the fact that he's one of my favourite characters in that game (especially when paired up with Ajax - the Well of Urd scene was just plain funny), he was killed off in one of the stupidest sacrifices ever. D: Okay, sure, he had the ability to kick like, well, a horse, but couldn't he have just kicked the rocks from the heroes' side of the outcropping? It was a senseless waste of a good man centaur.

Just finished playing Mother 3. The tear jerking parts have already been posted, but there are other parts...

I was sobbing when I had to fight the Drago... It was so sad, because you were just playing with it a while earlier, and now... And there was the baby Drago...
And perhaps I'm just weird, but I was sobbing when I picked up the doorknob at the end.

Sonia: "Heya, Nino. Guess what? You're adopted. I also hate you. I also killed your parents before adopting you. And in the next level, you're going to have to kill one of your brothers, one of only three people who ever loved you in this world."

Nino: ;_;

Plus all of her consequent support conversations are really sad. Especially Nino x Canas. And she gets killed off in every one of her endings, plus whoever she gets paired with also gets killed. ;_;

Also, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. Fifth case always chokes me up, moreso than the previous four (all of which, bar the third, are pretty sad anyway).

The normal Sakura ending in Fate|Stay Night... Oh god that just made me cry so much ;-;.

And the True Akiha ending in Tsukihime

And FFVI when Celes tries to kill herself when/if Cid dies.

Just finished playing Mother 3. The tear jerking parts have already been posted, but there are other parts...

I was sobbing when I had to fight the Drago... It was so sad, because you were just playing with it a while earlier, and now... And there was the baby Drago...

I thought I was the only one who nearly cried there XD

The second (third? fourth?) MOTHER 3 as being one of the saddest video games. But then again, I haven't played many games and I have yet to cry during one.

The normal Sakura ending in Fate|Stay Night... Oh god that just made me cry so much ;-;.

And the True Akiha ending in Tsukihime

And FFVI when Celes tries to kill herself when/if Cid dies.

I think I just made a new friend; Someone else has actually played Fate/Stay Night and Tsukihime! ;_;

normal end Sakura killed me on the inside u.u So much ;_;

The ending of Pokemon mystery dungeon red is the only thing that's made me actually cry in four years.

Drawn to life hit a spot when the mayor died (i have to be one of the few people on eath who's ever played this game, becauwse no one else seems to have heard of it) vut it didn't make me cry.

Patch dude. Why the hell would I play the port of Fate/Stay Night? That got censored (Kinda defeats the purpose of... That kind of game xD).

The ending to Final Fantasy Tactics is kinda sad; really it's only because Ramza and his cohorts were all branded as heretics by the Church, but the general public in the game would never know of their efforts until many years later, when a historian uncovers them, and manages to make the records of the War of the Lions public, much to the protest and chagrin of the Church.

Plus, there's also the fact that Ramza and his sister have to live in the shadows, never known for their efforts.

I suppose it's not technically sad though, it's more a 'Sucks to be you' kind of thing.

Also; Four of the five endings to Drakengard. In the canon ending (the first one you get), Caim's sister, Furiae was posessed, and comitted suicide by the will of the one who posessed her. This rid the world of the seal that was preventing the Gods from destroying their world. But, after a whole clusterfuck of events that happen so fast your head will spin, the Dragon, the one you and Caim grew so close to, and grew to adore (Maybe not adore... That's kinda stretching it. I adored her though <3), and vice versa, decides to become the seal; the godlike, invincible partnership of a bloodthirsty, practically invincible warrior and an unstoppable dragon was not to be as the Dragon becomes petrified to become the Seal, leaving Caim with her last words, "Angelus... My name is Angelus... You, are the first, and last of your kind to know my name..." ;_;

In the third ending, the Caim and the Dragon kill the Black Dragon, the same dragon that killed Caim's parents. This causes the Dragon to morph into the Chaos Dragon, which breaks their pact. It's at this point that Caim says his second, and last line at the entire game, "I am Caim!". Kind of a shitty thing to say when you regain the ability to speak (He was made mute. His price for making a pact with a beast as mighty as a dragon was his ability to speak. This is why the Dragon speaks for Caim throughout the entirety of the game.)...

But the Dragon feels that Caim is too dangerous for the world, and that he could potentially end it (Which he really could...), so out of her love and respect for Caim, she wishes for a battle with him. After probably what's the hardest boss battle in the entire game, Caim emerges the victor, the Dragon slain. With this, he looks up in the sky to see hundreds more dragons falling from the sky, smiles, and runs off, to fight literally to the death, fighting for both him and the Dragon.

I don't feel like discussing the other endings right now. As awesome as Drakengard was, it was one of the darkest, most depressing games I've played. It was even more depressing than the ending to Persona 3.

The fifth ending is just more "WTF?!" and funny; Caim and the Dragon somehow get warped to modern day Tokyo, with one of the giant world eating babies they were fighting warping with thing. They destroy the thing, but they both get shot down buy a fighter pilot. Only way to get that one is to collect all 80 weapons, and max out your skill level with them all xD

OH yeah, it's like... bad, lol. Wasn't that only Heaven's Feel and fat/hollow axtaria or something?

OH yeah, it's like... bad, lol. Wasn't that only Heaven's Feel and fat/hollow axtaria or something?

No, Heaven's Feel was one of the paths in Fate/stay night, and hollow ataraxia was the sequel. Fate/hollow ataraxia was basically Kagetsu Tohya, but with Fate/zero, and Fate/stay night characters instead of Tsukihime.

The one I'm talking about is Fate/Realta nua, the version of Fate/stay night that got ported to the PS2. Since it came out on the console, it obviously had to be censored.

OMG I CAN'T WAIT FREAKING WAIT FOR WITCH OF THE HOLY NIGHT

*Aozaki Aoko fanboy*

It's far from sad, but more wtf, but Sakura's ending in Fate/unlimited codes for the PS2. It's like, *I'ma kill everyone with Kirei bitches*

Also the fact that Illya only makes an appearance in Fate/unlimited codes in Berserker's victory screen, and in the end credits minigame. Oh well =/ At least I can set her as the announcer, so I get to hear her say "Leyzuritto ween!" or "Bazetto ween!"

I cried for the first time in...AGES when I finished PMD1 and PMD2~

So sad, so sad. I do hope there will be a PMD3 or something. PMD2.5 doesn't count.

Agreeing w/Eeveeskitty, though more of so in two.

The ending to LoZ TP was tear jerking...

Back
Top Bottom