• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

In Progress Outlaws [Pokemon Fanfic]

Momoharu

Can't Tell Me Nothin
I couldn't change the title for my last one, so I deleted it and started again. I got a title, and I'm putting the first and second chapter in.

Prologue: The Elm Institution​

The trees rustled around the famous Elm Institution. Here was where Professor Elm built his school, for those who had shown talent in certain areas of Pokemon, whether it be breeding, invention, or the most popular of all, battling. It was here the famous Gold and Silver got their first Pokemon, and went on to forge their own legends, which were only overshadowed by the legendary trainers Red and Blue.

Here’s where many young trainers started, aiming at the pinnacle of success in the world, the Elite Four challenge. Being an Elite meant everything to many, it meant money, power, fame, and success, and naturally many craved it. That mentality was almost carved into the shadows of this place, although many teachers tried to cover it up with their talk about Pokemon being partners, and loving them was important, everyone knew, deep down, that this was a high pressure place, where you could crash and burn as easily as you could start your own journey.

For many, they hated this Institution, but what choice did they have? You couldn’t get a license to train without graduating at a Pokemon Institution, and being put into the Elm Institution meant you were stuck there, for life.

There was once a man, top in his class, who went to this Institution. Everyone thought he was really going places, that he might even be the one to beat the Elite Four, like the few legendary trainers before him. But, he hated the place. Their mentality sickened him, and all he wanted was to be partners with his Pokemon, he didn’t care about winning as much as his fellow students, or as much as those who were teaching him, hoping to guide this new star, to get claims into helping the rearing of this Elite. It all came crashing down, when he left.

After rumors got out that the Elm Institution didn’t want him (They covered it up with a story), he was never accepted into another Institution ever again, and thus he dropped out of sight. This started the motto people started giving to the Institution, “If you don’t succeed here, you’ll never succeed.”

Raiha hated this place. His parents had enrolled him, after he had gotten an invitation into one of the best schools in the whole world. He didn’t like the idea much, but his parents needed it. At the rate they were going, they wouldn’t be able to support the family much longer, and him leaving would mean them going steady financially. Raiha steeled himself for the decision, as he couldn’t refuse the offer of a full scholarship.

The “win at all costs” philosophies, the overwhelming amount of bookwork with very little practical application, the theory that said you can win with pure smarts alone, all the useless things that Raiha never bothered to learn, because he knew it wouldn’t help him. If the famous Red, known as the Invincible Trainer, never had to go through any of this muck, but went through with sheer guts could do it, Raiha was sure he could do it as well, and thus all these theories and tests were nothing to Raiha, and his dislike for the place grew. As time went on, Raiha desperately wanted to get out, but he also wanted to be a trainer. He thought he was stuck, until he met them.

Rictor was, simply, a very large guy. A full 6’2 and almost double Raiha’s width, he was like a large wall of muscle. He and Raiha were friends almost immediately, as they were in detentions together often, for both of them didn’t bother to try in class, and often got low grades. However, they both knew how good they were, that they could probably trounce half the pompous rich kids in the place in a real battle. After a while, they’d get split up in detentions, because their friendships were obvious from their multiple “crusades” against the other kids in the place. The rich kids around here had real quick mouths, and the two had short fuses, which led into large scale ass-kickings all around.

These brats and their snobbish parents quickly turned their noses at them, labeling them as ‘bullies’ and ‘lower-class’. What did they even know, the rich bastards?

Then there was Chris. Chris was a small guy, shorter and more slender then Raiha, and definitely smarter than him when it came to things outside Pokemon battles. He was a right hand with everything electronic, and had fiddled around with Pokeballs, doing things Raiha doubted any top scientists in big corporations like Devon or Silph could dream up.

Chris hated the Institution merely because it was a waste of his time, and Raiha believed him. He could probably graduate with top marks in this place, but for what? A bunch of fakes launching themselves at the newest hope of an elite, all saying they knew what was best for him, trying to make him their little puppet. But Chris didn’t want that, not at all, so he pretended he was a dropout, and that he was no good, even though his friends knew better.

The three of them were in pretty much all their classes together, and quickly became friends. They were ostracized, and nobody else really talked to them, which suited them just find. Among all these kids, there were only a few decent ones, yet all the rumors spread around by the others kept them well away from the group. Not that they cared, they were usually loners, and a few good friends were better than a load of fake friends, in their opinions.

When one of them did something that could get them in serious trouble, the other two would make sure nothing happened. When Chris was suspected of stealing extremely volatile ingredients from the science lab, Raiha and Rictor insisted that Chris was with them, in the middle of a fight with some kids.

In truth, it was just Raiha and Rictor, but almost all the teachers knew that those three were 'up to no good' at all times, and that Chris had fought alongside them multiple times, and he had slid under the radar. After that incident, Chris made sure he stole whenever Raiha and Rictor were off doing bad things, so that he could get an easy cover story and be able to continue doing all his experiments and things. Of course, Chris also took the ingredients for another reason.

It was Chris that came up with the plan, the insane plan that Raiha knew could go wrong in so many ways, the plan that would get them expelled from the Institution and blown away from society almost altogether. Yet it was this plan that Raiha went with, and the one Rictor went with, for they would rather take that enormous risk than stick in this place for a couple more years, where they were hated.

The only reason they didn't leave earlier was because they yearned to become trainers, for their own reasons, and if they ditched this place, they wouldn't be able to qualify anywhere else, and their dreams would be blown away in the dust. Even without licenses, they wouldn't be able to catch a Pokemon without a Pokemon of their own.

The plan? It was simple. They’d blow up the damn school, grab a few Pokemon, escape to another region while ducking the police, who would probably come, and then start up their own legends, in a new town. Simple, right?

Chapter 1: Break In​

Raiha sat on one of the many benches on the campus of the Elm Institution. Apparently, you were technically allowed out as late as you wanted, as long as it was inside campus. Fiddling with the strap of his backpack, he was wondering if this was the right thing to do. He sat in silence for a few minutes, but soon heard footsteps behind him.

“Yo,” Rictor said in his deep voice. Raiha could tell almost immediately from the sound of his footsteps, which anyone could tell belonged to a rather large man. The laidback tone in Rictor’s voice was all Raiha needed to know that this was the right thing to do. If his best friend doesn’t have any worries about this, then it’s alright.

“’Sup,” Raiha said with a grin. “Where’s Chris?”

“Getting all the crazy shit we’ll need for this little operation,” Rictor replied, leaping over the back of the bench to also sit. “I also got somethin' for ya.” Reaching into his massive pack, he pulled out a shiny black object and a case with it. Raiha said nothing as he grabbed the pistol by the handle, made sure it was loaded, and clicked on the safety, which Rictor had forgotten to do. Grabbing the case of bullets, he stuffed them into one of the pockets of his cargo pants. After a moment of silence, Raiha finally spoke up.

“We’ll actually be needing these, won’t we?” Rictor gave a short nod, giving a nonchalant shrug and put his own gun in his pocket, making sure the safety was on his own.

“Y’know bro, this is against the law... I dunno about you, but I think this whole system is bullshit. If they try to send the cops after me, I’ll go out shooting. They ain’t gonna stop me from hittin’ the top, even if I have to go through half the cops in Johto.”

“I’m with you on that,” Raiha agreed. They hadn’t been together for more than a year, but they knew each other well enough to not pry into each other’s reasons. “Where are you gonna go off to though? I wanna call ya once in a while.”

Rictor gave a chuckle. “There’s this place called Orre, I’m gonna check that place out. I heard it’s pretty rough, but there ain’t too many cops around. I bought a pokegear, so gimme a call whenever you get one.” Scrawling a number on a discarded piece of paper near the bench, Rictor handed it to Raiha before continuing. “Where are you goin’ then?”

“Hoenn,” Raiha said without a second of hesitation.

“What the hell’s there that’s interesting?” Rictor asked him, one eyebrow raised. Raiha grinned.

“Realize, Kanto’s already marked by Red and Blue, and Johto’s marked by Gold and Silver. Sinnoh’s cold as hell, and Hoenn’s a kinda small place, so it should be easy to duck cops and stuff there.”

Rictor and Raiha sat in silence for a while longer, until they heard barely audible footsteps behind them, and they both leaned back to peer behind them. There Chris stood, carrying his own pack and a box. He handed Raiha and Rictor slips of paper, and then a handful of charges.

“The paper’s got my pokegear number, you should grab one sooner or later Raiha. Sinnoh’s pretty far north, make sure you get the right upgrades for it. Then, the charges... make sure you get the hell out of the way, those charges can totally screw you up. To charge ‘em, just press the button, and you’ve got 10 seconds.”

Raiha and Rictor both rose, and together the three faced the Institution.

“So this is the last time we’ll probably all be together...” Raiha said, a little bit of sadness welling within him. Rictor and Chris nodded, and the three shared a moment of silence.

“If you guys don’t become the trainers you say you will, I’ll find you and kick your asses,” Chris said, giving a grin. The group lightened up, then began walking at a fast pace toward the Institute, breaking into a run as Rictor blew through a window on the right wing. Chris and Raiha leaped through the hole, and the three of them dashed through the corridors, darting through the course they had memorized.

Chris grabbed a knife from his pocket, then slid towards the Professor’s door, and slid the knife through the crack in the door. An audible crack was heard as the lock broke, and the three stole through the darkness, making their way toward the back of the lab, where all of the Pokeballs were held. Chris grabbed the masterpiece he had been working on for the good part of the past 6 months, a bomb approximately the size of Rictor’s head. Setting it down gently, he punched in an activation code, and the three of them ran out the door and waited behind the wall.

“The second that thing blows,” Chris breathed. “The alarms set off, and we gotta dash in as fast as we can. We’re gonna have to split, and blow our way out with the charges from different parts of the lab. It’s been fun guys.”

With a roar that could shatter eardrums, the bomb exploded, and the unmistakable sound of metal being blown away resounded through the room and out into the hallway, and the three of them made a mad scramble through the giant hole, as a shrill alarm started sounding. They ran into the center of the lab, where rows and rows of other people’s Pokeballs were being protected by bulletproof casing. There, on the pedestal where starters usually got their first Pokemon, were three Pokeballs. Chris nimbly dived toward it, jamming his knife in the pedestal’s circuitry so it could not case itself.

Raiha grabbed the Pokeball on the right, Rictor the center, and Chris the left, and they gave each other one last nod, before dashing in three separate directions. Shouting could be heard in the hall, but Raiha didn’t care, instead tossing the charges Chris gave him at the wall of the lab, running behind one of the rows of Pokeballs, and after a few heartbeats, he heard multiple explosions, next to him and farther away from him, in other corners of the room.

Running with reckless abandon, Raiha tumbled out of the hole he had made in the lab wall, falling into some bushes. Not bothering to brush himself off, he inched towards the forest, keeping sight of the flashing glow near the front of the Institute, and then quietly slinked through the trees as fast as he could. He gave a silent prayer, hoping Rictor and Chris got out alright.

Taking a backwards glance at the Institute, with the hole blown through the side, he gave a grin, and started quietly laughing to himself, the exhilarated laugh of a man who was free. Indeed, he was free. Free of the place he hated, and free to become whatever he wanted. Not able to contain his joy, Raiha leaped up and punched the air, before continuing his trek.

Nothing could puncture this seeming unshakable aura of joy and confidence that was bursting within him... nothing except, perhaps, the flashing lights of police cars and the shrill sounds of sirens that he could hear, coming closer. Sneaking behind a tree, he saw no less than 5 police cars swerving around the road, and multiple officers. Desperately, he looked around for some escape route, but he couldn't find an obvious one. He heard the growls of Growlithe and Arcanine, and the truth started sinking in.

He was trapped.

Last edited:
Re: Outlaws

AHHHHHHHHH WIN WIN WIN!

My new favoritestest story.

pleasecontinue writing

...NAO! >:3

or i shall have Mew ....use Psychic..er sumthing....!

Thanks for that Mehw, I finally got chapter 3 up. Here it is:

Chapter 2: Escape

Raiha couldn't remember a time where he was well and truly screwed. Sure, the police officers couldn't see him through the mass of trees and darkness that surrounded him, but their Pokemon... dogs had good senses of smell, didn't they? Raiha stumbled backwards, trying not to make noise as he awkwardly backed through the forest. He was gripping the minimized Pokeball so hard his knuckles were turning white, and heard a bark to his immediate left, causing him to jump.

Crouching and not moving, he saw a Growlithe pacing through the forest, and broke into a run, deeper into the forest and away from the police. The Growlithe's eyes snapped in Raiha's direction, and began in pursuit, barking loudly and moving much faster than Raiha could. Soon it was right on his heels, and, with a great leap, rammed into the back of Raiha's legs, sending him tumbling and also making him release the Pokeball. Horrified, he watched as the small Pokeball bounced on the floor, before hitting a tree and enlarging. Raiha clawed toward the fallen Pokeball, even with the Growlithe digging it's claws into him, trying to keep him pinned.

A foot. Half a foot. His fingertips caught the surface of the Pokeball, until he heard another, deeper growl. The Growlithe trying to pin him immediately jumped off him, and as Raiha snatched up the Pokeball and turned around, he saw a massive Arcanine staring him down.

"Oh shit..." Raiha gasped, before turning tail and dashing away. Heavy footfalls behind him indicated the Arcanine was immediately chasing after him, but Raiha still dashed like a madman, dashing through gaps in trees that he hoped the Arcanine could not pass. The canine proved to be a lithe and powerful Pokemon, though, as it nimbly weaved through the trees, and lunged at Raiha like the Growlithe next to him. However, it didn't pounce, it bit.

Giving a roar of pain, Raiha futilely tried to kick the Arcanine away with his free leg as he wheeled around, seeing the canine firmly crunching down on his left leg. His vision started hazing, as a pool of blood was already starting to collect at the bottom of his leg. He was going to die here, in the middle of a forest, not becoming a trainer at all... a trainer.... pokemon?

Peering down, he saw the Pokeball still clutched in his hand, and looked up at the Arcanine, still firmly gripped on his leg. Weakly and lightly, he tossed the Pokeball, which hit the ground and burst open, throwing a large beam of light towards the ground in front of it. From it emerged a small blue crocodile, standing on two legs and looking at Raiha with two large red eyes. Raiha gave a smile, which the Totodile returned, flashing it's large fangs. Spitting out the blood collecting in his mouth, Raiha went for one more gamble.

"Water gun," he said, as loud as he could manage, which was a bit above a hoarse whisper. The Totodile flashed into action, immediately blasting a small jet of water at the Arcanine, succeeding in knocking it to the side. The Growlithe immediately acted, throwing a small stream of fire at Totodile, and Raiha took his chance. Leaping forward with his good leg, he threw his mangled leg in the path of the fire, giving another scream of pain as he clawed the ground. When the attack was over, he looked down at his leg, and saw the wounds had indeed been seared close.

"Take it out with another water gun," Raiha groaned, his vision still quite hazy. An immediate yelp of pain registered that the Growlithe took a good hit, and he turned his attention to the Arcanine. However, to his immense relief, the Arcanine dashed towards it's child, no doubt in order to aid it, and Raiha took his chance. Grabbing the Totodile and the empty Pokeball, Raiha ran. His entire body screamed in protest, and he had to move very stiffly to keep his leg from gushing out blood again.

Going through the forest, he finally saw it: the brick wall that encircled the entire perimeter of the Elm Institution and the surrounding town. First, he told his Totodile to hold it’s Pokeball, and tossed it over. Then, he braced himself. He grabbed at the top of the wall, and tried pulling himself up, groaning in pain and slipping off. The second time, he managed to get to the top, but fell back and hit the ground again. He could hear shouts of people and the barks of Pokemon getting closer, and knew he had little time. On his third attempt, he grabbed the top, pulled himself up using both legs, and toppled over the barrier, smashing into the ground. Breathing to his left and a glance confirmed that his Totodile was standing right next to him, and it started to sink in.

“I’m your trainer, aren’t I little buddy?” he asked weakly, and received a smile from Totodile in return. He started chuckling weakly, and realized it was muddy around him. That made things harder and easier. Grabbing Totodile’s pokeball, he recalled the small crocodile, and began dragging himself through the mud. He was lucky, all his wounds were still burned shut, or he would have a terrible infection on his hands, and yet he continued dragging himself along. His vision was blurring intensely, and yet he still clawed on, as if it was an automated task he was doing.

Along and along he inched, until he saw the lights of a city. He stopped at the entrance, trying to find the strength to move, and yet succeeding at doing nothing. He was in an intense amount of pain, after being bitten and then burned, and trying to use every last drop of strength to get here.

“The road of being a trainer isn’t easy, is it?” he mused to no one in particular. He could feel himself starting to bug out. The lights of the city seemed to swim in front of him, and almost all of the sounds of the city had sounded distant, except for one, which sounded crystal clear. He heard light footsteps in front of him, but couldn’t find the strength to look up. The last thing he registered before slipping into unconsciousness was the jingling of bells, and a very pleasant flowery smell that lingered on the air, and then everything went black.

Okay first, epic thread resurrection, but for good reason! I have a new chapter.

Yeah, my inspiration suddenly cut out and decided to cut back in at a random moment, so I'll probably continue this. If anyone's so kind as to read this and reply, thanks for that. Without further adieu, chapter 4!

Chapter 3: Dark

Raiha's head hurt. Really badly.

It wasn't the only thing either, his left leg hurt like a bitch as well. Looking down, he saw his left pant leg neatly folded up to the knee, and bandages completely covering his calf. Again he heard the jingling of bells, and his eyes darted up to see a dog with dark black fur, and what looked like bone horns at the back of it’s head. It had a gold bell on it’s dark leather collar, which explained what made the noise.

“Hey, a Houndoom...” he said, frowning slightly. Houndoom weren’t pokemon the police used, or at least that’s what he thought. It didn’t even look like it would hurt him, it was just sitting at the base of the bed he was sleeping on. He didn’t know what was going on, but he couldn’t stay any longer. The police were after him, and he was a sitting duck where he was currently. As he made to get up, the Houndoom gave a bark, making him jump and fall back on the bed. The hound was now standing, and seemed intent on keeping Raiha stationary.

“What happened Sparta?” Looking over, Raiha saw a woman carrying a Totodile. His Totodile. "Oh, your awake." A slightly awkward silence then followed, as Raiha was left gaping like an idiot for a few seconds, looking at the girl. She had really pretty eyes, a light green that easily made Raiha go gaga over here. Quickly scanning the rest of her, she was kind of short, maybe half a foot shorter than Raiha, with long brown hair and lightly tanned skin. Although it shouldn't be important, he also noticed she had all the right assets. Raiha tried to think of something witty to say, but words escaped him for a very long time, until he managed to choke some words out.

"Uh... I think he's mine," Raiha said, mentally slapping himself for acting like a retard with memory problems. The woman gave a jump, before handing him his Totodile.

"I'm sorry, he was just dirty, so I washed him..." she muttered, looking down at her own shoes. A moment of jealousy flashed before him, as he wished he was there too. He then noticed he was still caked in blood, dirt, and sweat, and hastened to get off the bed he was so rudely dirtying.

"Oh sorry, I'll clean the sheets..." he said quickly, before quickly buckling to the floor with a howl. A bullet of pain just swept through his whole leg, and he quickly tumbled over, and was caught just before he slammed into the floor by the woman. She had surprising strength for such a tiny little woman, easily lifting him back onto the sheets.

"Don't worry about the sheets, that'll go away with water," she said sternly, giving him a look that, while she thought was stern, Raiha thought was adorable. "Just lay down for a while, a friend of mine checked you out earlier, and your leg's totally mangled. It'll take about 2 months to heal, it can barely take your weight right now." Raiha definitely couldn't afford to be grounded here for 2 months, especially with the police all trying to arrest him and everything.

"Well, uh, thanks for helping me... and stuff..." murmured Raiha, unable to look the girl in the face without feeling his face get really warm, and took some time to pop Totodile back into it's pokeball. An awkward silence followed, in which Raiha just sort of looked down at his own lap and the woman sort of hovered there for a moment, deciding what to do next. Finally, she shrugged and walked out of the room, her Houndoom on her heels.

Raiha cursed himself a couple dozen times, wondering where the smooth, suave version of him went. Then again, hanging out with Rictor for a few years could do that to you. He knew he couldn’t stay here for too long, the cops were all over the place, he didn’t want some person getting in trouble for helping him.

As silently as he could, Raiha gingerly lifted himself from the bed and gathered his belongings. Making sure he had Totodile with him, he saw the leg was wrapped up pretty well, despite the screams of pain it was shooting through his body. Bracing himself, Raiha started walking, trying to find an easy exit. Looking over at a window, he tried as quietly as he could to open it, now trying to slip through the opening he had made. He clumsily toppled through, and heard a noise of surprise in the room he had just left.

Quickly getting up, he half trotted, half dashed away from a small house, where he had just been. He knew he must have seemed ungrateful, although he was grateful, even a little numb from his encounter with the woman. Shrugging all these thoughts off, Raiha kept running, through the city, ducking through alleys to make sure he wasn’t being tailed by a cop or something, knowing he was going in the right direction thanks to his Pokegear.

The sun slowly crept up from a horizon Raiha could barely make out, and he knew he was starting to run out of time. Taking an ill advised jump over a fence and crunching on his leg, he finally roared in pain, still limping along, until he saw it: the docks. The ferry would leave at 6:30, and it alarmed Raiha to see it was already 6:27. He ran with his all, but his leg made him too slow, but he still hobbled along in anger. Then he saw something at the dock that made his heart sink: cops were already staking out the place.

Panic started setting in, and Raiha was running out of options. He felt in his pocket for the gun Rictor had given him, but it alarmed him to see it wasn’t there anymore. More than anything, Raiha was scared. He didn’t want to lose the Totodile he had just tried to befriend. As he started running out of options, he saw a cloth get flung over his eyes, blinding him, and felt someone sneakily put a pinch of some kind of powder in his mouth.

Too shocked and bewildered to wonder what the hell had happened, he felt everything suddenly go black, and felt himself getting lifted and put in something before passing out.

Back
Top Bottom