• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Real Life Mary Sues?

Eeveelution

Among the few morons with straight A's.
Mary Sues are often considered in literature to be a bad thing that authors should avoid; they become favorites of the author, and are considered to be more like a fantasy than real. But lately I've been wondering: can Mary Sues occur in real life?

My last name is a fruit that I like (I only like apples, bananas, grapes, and oranges). My first name is a real name, but I've only heard of two people with its exact spelling, as it can be a boy's name if spelled differently, and that's how many spell it. My hair is long and brown, and my eyes are blue. I'm an only child who loves animals. People I know in real life who read my stories often tell me I'm a good writer, and my friends say I'm a good artist. So far none of my family members have died in my lifetime; I never met my aunt, the only one who's died. And I am unusually optimistic. I got special praise from the president of the local Optimist Club for being the only one to recite my optimist speech without note cards even though I didn't win, and there were girls of all ages and from different schools competing (about ten, I think). I was even smiling both times I went to the hospital after breaking a bone in my arms. (However, I did not smile when I broke my pinkie finger, but I was in second grade.) My school has a person exactly like me as my best friend. The only real differences are that he's a boy, he's adopted, and he isn't as crazy about chocolate as I am. Both of my report cards from there had straight A's on them. And I get almost everything I want. My parents even bought a WiiFit last summer so they could beat the Christmas rush.

And to to top it all off, I just got a cast off my left arm early in the summer, having broke a bone that gets little blood supply and is virtually unknown. I was told that the bone could have had problems healing, and if it did there was a chance I would need to get surgery, but it healed fine. Now it seems that I'm getting the strength back in my arm very fast, and after only one session besides the one after getting the news I could take my splint off forever (or until I break a bone in my left arm again), they think I won't really need to go back unless I have to.

My life, in my opinion, seems a lot like the life of a Mary Sue. That's why I'm wondering if it's possible for Mary Sues to exist outside of stories. Do you think you or someone you know is a Mary Sue? If so, why?

(Note: If staff members think this belongs somewhere else, feel free to move it.)

Does the world revolve around you? No. The whole thing about a Sue/Stu is that everything focuses on that one character, even when it really shouldn't.

Do you think your life is great? Good for you.

I wouldn't know if anyone is a Mary Sue, because you'd have to live as everyone in the first person to know.

Does the world revolve around you? No. The whole thing about a Sue/Stu is that everything focuses on that one character, even when it really shouldn't.

That would mean all those popular stuck-up people would be self-created Mary Sues. But it kind of does work that way in my house, in a way. I'm the only kid here, so there's no competition for my parents' center of attention.

A real person can by definition not be a Mary-Sue; Mary-Sues are a particular brand of unrealistic characters that don't work because we feel they couldn't possibly be real. You are real; thus you are not a Mary-Sue.

You aren't even the Sueiest real person I know of. My best friend is exceptionally smart (then I mean her average grade over four years in one of the most notoriously difficult schools at this stage in the country was something like 9.73 out of 10), she's funny, pretty, social, modest, quirky in an endearing way, plays the harp, never gets angry (she gets annoyed at public figures when they say something particularly dumb, but no more than that), etc. etc. etc. However, as surskitty said, the world does not revolve around her. No, being an only child so things revolve around you at home does not count. The laws of the universe apply to her. Sometimes it is not convenient to be her. People really can be better than her at things. Perfectly nice people can disagree with her. She doesn't always save the day. She can have bad luck. She can make mistakes. If guys lust after her, the world doesn't dwell on it. I could go on and on.

Back
Top Bottom