• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

In Progress Train: An Animal Crossing Fanfiction

Mad MOAI

Actually more of a harmour fan
Yes, an ANIMAL CROSSING fanfiction. Some of you know that the game Animal Crossing and its sequels have just about no plot, so how could one make a story out of it? Well, your answer is right here... *pulls out slip of paper* Also, this is probably going to be a mix between all Animal Crossing games, so don't act all freaked out if Kokoro gets K.K. House and I never mentioned this thing being about the City version.

I've gathered up a few ideas to put together. So.

Suggestions are kindly accepted, but don't YELL LIKE THIS or anything, okay?

--

Prologue

A near-silent, staccato tapping noise was the only thing Kokoro paid attention to. She glared down at the paper before her, occasionally glancing at the clock hung high on the wall.

When school lets out, I'll be able to hand this in...

Through better inspection, one would see that the paper on her desk was, in fact, a fully completed test. Fairly sloppy writing could be seen bouncing off the answer lines, along with tiny doodles at the end. At the top, the student had signed her name with what looked like a distorted L next to it.

She appeared to scan the walls, but the only things she could really see were the monotonous faces of bored students and the bad haircuts of those who were still trying to fit in some random answers before the test was due.

Kokoro flipped her paper over and stared at the blank side. It was a flawless, bright white. Not a mark could be seen on it... at least, for the first few seconds. Within moments she had gone to work, illustrating a twenty-second sketch of a wolf's head. It was how she always drew it, with a curved muzzle and stretched face.

And within the next ten seconds, a loud tone sounded throughout the classroom. Some of the kids eagerly leaped out of their seats and raced for the door with their backpacks, while others gritted their teeth and appeared to be scribbling madly over the bottom of the sheet. Not quite either of these types, Kokoro took her time in rising from her seat and slipping her finished test onto the teacher's desk. With a final glance at the whiteboard on the front wall, she grasped the handle of her backpack and noisily rolled it behind her out of the room.

She practically dashed out of the school after that, and took a sharp curve to the right to arrive at the bus stop. As always, a bright golden school bus was parked outside, the black stripes seeming to shy away from everything else. Nearly sighing from the boring routine, Kokoro slowly mounted the inside of the bus, plopping down on the first open seat. It was more towards the middle of the vehicle on the right side. Lazily she pressed her cheek against the window, nearly ignoring the scenery outside that wasn't yet moving. Her blue eyes mischievously followed kids like a candid camera shot, and sometimes she evilly grinned to herself as if she were listening in on some private conversation.

When the bus rumbled to life, her head began to vibrate. Her ears itched, and she jerked away from the window, rubbing at the side of her head. There was something she wouldn't do again.

Like she had been the moment before she was so rudely interrupted, Kokoro absently gazed out the window. The familiar school road passed her by, along with the chatty faces of those students who always walked home. And there went the Gen'RalMart, with the same advertisements hung on the outside. Wait... one was different. It was decorated with a colorful green field and a few fruit trees.

Quirkland, she read silently. A green land with much to offer. Move today! Totally kid friendly, as long as the parents don't mind... The name does not portray the style.

The last sentence put a smile on her face. Now, instead of mindlessly, she was staring dreamily at the outside pavement, wondering what it would be like living in a meadow village instead of a small town whose school had barely two buses. If there's nothing special in Depmarc, she wondered, Why not Quirkland?

Chapter 1

After a while, Kokoro's mother had also noticed the sign. Unfortunately, she didn't really consider Kokoro moving there by herself. After a while of pleading that felt like a millennium, Kokoro managed to convince her mother with a few logical and persuasive reasons.

The bustling station was crowded with talkative people. Kokoro's small hands gripped tightly to her mother's arm, leaving her a sense of security and the thought that she couldn't possibly be separated from Mom while she was still glued to her side. Kokoro's eyes whipped fearfully about the large room, which seemed irritatingly cramped with all the men, women and children packed into it. However, it was not only fright in her mind, it was excitement. She would be getting to move to a new place! By herself! Whoo! This sounded oddly familiar, though, as if she had heard of kids living alone in other forests farther away...

Shoving the thought out of her mind with a good eraser, she clung tight and let Mom drag her around. It seemed like forever, but at the same time a split second: before she knew it she was walking sleepily with her mother (she wasn't holding on anymore) towards the farthest platform there was.

"Why... do we have to walk... all the way... over here?" she gasped humorously.

"It's the platform the train goes to," her parent replied.

"To which it goes," Kokoro corrected irritatingly.

The two stood on the platform, and Kokoro managed to slowly pass the time by looking at the large hill on the left side of the horizon. She liked to make patterns out of the trees and see if she could spot beings traversing the terrain, but she often failed (not much to her disappointment, however).

When the sun was fleeing towards the horizon by the time a streamlined train raced towards the station and pulled to a halt a few meters in front of Kokoro. She was nearly trembling from excitement and nervousness, but it was more the former than anything. What would it be like in Quirkland? Rainy? Sunny? Unusually cold? Maybe even a bit quirky?

Kokoro boarded the train, and didn't bother to glance even timidly at the train driver (whatever he or she was called). She trudged to the nearest open seat as she would on the school bus and, as always, leaned her head against the window. She grinned widely to her mother as the train lurched forwards, trying not to look too afraid.

After that, she wasn't really paying attention. She thought she had fallen asleep while watching the blur of scenery outside the car. What snapped her awake was the sound of footsteps... approaching her seat.

She sat up straight instantly, but what she saw across to the opposite seat was not what she had expected...

This was odd. Since when did cats stand on their hind legs? This one looked rather odd, but she couldn't put her finger on what was wrong with it. It wasn't over yet, though. Just when she thought it couldn't get any more ridiculous, the feline spoke.

"I hope you don't mind if I sit here..."

Kokoro tried to keep her eyes from widening; she didn't want to look rude. "No, it's fine..."

The cat looked at his wrist, and to Kokoro's surprise there was a watch banded around it. He looked out the window (apparently at the sun's location) and apparently adjusted the time on it. "You don't happen to have the time, do you?" he asked.

Sighing inwardly, Kokoro sarcastically wondered what would be next. "No," she said softly, and the cat seemed to glare at his wrist. "I don't trust this watch..." he murmured, and then looked up. "What is your name?"

"Uh, Kokoro," she stammered. Normally she wouldn't talk to strangers, but this thing seemed nice enough...

"Hello, Kokoro," he said as if he had just passed her by on the street. "I'm Rover." He gestured with a paw towards his blue-and-white face. "Where are you headed?"

Kokoro felt more comfortable talking to Rover. "Quirkland..."

"Quirkland, huh? Isn't that place kinda small?"

"Well..."

"It's nice, though. Plenty of open space, and delicious fruit!"

"In that case, there's no harm in moving there, right?"

"When did I say there was?" Rover then seemed to remember something. "Oh! There's this guy I know in there who can... Wait, do you know where you're going to live when you get there?"

Kokoro shook her head.

Rover smiled. "There's this guy I know who lives in Quirkland who might be able to sell you a house!"

"Next stop: Quirkland!"

Kokoro glanced at the ceiling.

"Looks like you're getting off," the cat said. "We might see each other again sometime!"

Last edited:
And since this is supposed to be an Animal Crossing fiction and not a realistic fiction, we'll just say Kokoro persuaded her mother to let her go live in Quirkland.
I don't think that's an appropriate way to break the forth wall.

Brilliant!
I loved it, you are an amazing writer.

But this...
After a while, Kokoro's mother had also noticed the sign. And since this is supposed to be an Animal Crossing fiction and not a realistic fiction, we'll just say Kokoro persuaded her mother to let her go live in Quirkland.
was a little far fetched and in a way it ruined the flow of the story. Maybe try and remove that and re-write it so Kokoro is really struggling to convince her mother. Perhaps say that she tells her mum she heard other children have been living alone in this little town and that it's completely safe. Simply saying that 'because this is fiction it works' just doesn't quite cut it.

Other than that little detail. This was amazing, and I'd love to read more of it.
^_^

Perhaps say "and after a long debate and argument (that felt like a blur to her when she tried to think of it again later) she finally convinced her mother" or something to that effect. Anyways, I know what you mean by making a story out of nothing. That's more fun, if you ask me; if you write about a game with a plot, the reader knows how it ends almost immediately, no matter what twists you throw in. (I've happened to write a few Animal Crossing stories as well.)

Sounds nice... I tried to add some humor in, but apparently my sense of it is rather strange :)

After playing AC:WW this summer night I have a new idea. So stay tuned!

if you write about a game with a plot, the reader knows how it ends almost immediately, no matter what twists you throw in. (I've happened to write a few Animal Crossing stories as well.)

It's about the journey, not the destination, my mom always says. But the reason that I want to go home instead of go on a trip outside is because it's boring. So don't make it boring.

Back
Top Bottom