• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

A few fakemon

Iveechan

I don't really sprite often. These guys were made just for fun, I'm not ambitious enough to sprite all my fakemon, lol. Special thanks for spriter's resource for the sprites and templates. These are done in Ruby/Sapphire style.

dexkarmaphae.png

This little guy is one of my earliest made up Pokemon, had him way before Pachirisu. Base body was from gs Rattata (forget which version), head is from Meowth, everything else is scratch.
Karmaphae is a gentle creature. If startled or threatened, is rubs its metallic whiskers together to create burning sparks and embers.

dexporcumine.png

Another old fakemon. Yeah, had him before Shaymin, but both are based off of hedgehogs/porcupines. Base body is from dp Sandshrew though you can hardly tell.
Porcumine has the habit of sleeping in a tight ball with its sharp, yellow spikes jutting out. If accidentally stepped on, it emits a massive electric jolt that may blow your legs off!

dexbluumierredo.png

This happy little fellow is a counterpart to Karmaphae. He was originally not a Pokemon but just some weird random creature I made up for a painting in high school. This is completely scratch, you can tell because the flower looks like butt.
Bluumier's fire tail is completely fire-proof. Inside its tail stalk is a highly flammable liquid, ignited by the friction of tiny, microscopic hairs. Like Karmaphae, Bluumier is a shy Pokemon, but it has a shorter fuse and gives no warning when attacking.

dexpotatode.png

EVERY generation needs a stoner Pokemon, and Potatode delivers. All scratch.
Despite its warty, bumpy appearance, Potatode keeps itself meticulously clean. Hygiene is the only activity it puts effort into, however. It stays perfectly still, hidden among the ground and plants, and lunges lightning quick to catch prey.

More to come...?

Last edited:
That's some top notch spriting there. Dithering is used to great effect, the lines are nice and clean and really capture the style of DPP artwork.

Bluumier's proportions and posing could use a little work, but that's about the only criticism I can level at these, they're really well made sprites.

What should be fixed with Bluumier? I really like criticism btw, something about Bluumier's tail still bugs me so I need help on that. I want to change Karmaphae's body and face, it looks too small and weird to me. I think it's because I used existing Pokemon as a base. I'm most satisfied with Porcumine, Potatode was made in an after midnight creativity rush o.o.

Thanks for the comments :D

Potatode's hind leg is shaded very oddly for it's shape; it's quite triangular.

Is Karmaphae supposed to be a squirrel? Because that's definately not a squirrel face, it looks like an alien.

Bluumier's flower petals are shaded to be round... petals are flat.

Porcumine's spines.. those are just odd. They seem to be cracked along the middle?

-I'll fix Potatode's legs.

-Karmaphae is something like a cat-squirrel. It has no nose. I dislike Pokemon who look too much like a regular animal.

-Vileplume has rounded petals.

-Porcumine's spines was an attempt at a shiny look, if you have a suggestion on how to improve it, I'll listen.

starters.png

Starters. The grass one MIGHT be Rabbud, the name is my boyfriend's idea, I like Buncy better. The fire dinosaur is re-typing of a former grass starter of mine, Protothorn. Water type is Orqua. Name suggestions for these dudes would be greatly appreciated.
The fire dinosaur is the hard hitter, maybe its stats are similar to the Totodile line. I thought that fire type should be represented by a reptile/dinosaur again.
The grass rabbit is fast,with a high attack stat and average special attack. So far, every grass starter has been a reptile or a dinosaur, so a mammal was chosen. It is sort of inspired by the attack rabbits in Braid.
I thought it was about time the water starter also be a fast one, so I chose a dolphin for its species. It also has high special attack. I don't care that it looks too confined to living in the water, it's not like someone from the anime is going to own this Pokemon or anything.

:::EDIT::: The first 4 sprites all touched up, and Karmaphae is redone.
dexbluumierredotwo.png
dexkarmaphaeredo.png
dexporcumineredo.png
dexpotatoderedo.png

Last edited:
grasstarter.png

Complete line of the grass starter, still pondering on names. Despite the fighting look of the final one, they are all pure grass. Added a nose to the first one.

They're great *ego -3* thing I noticed is they look a bit odd with no obviously black outlines. And.. that's all I can offer :<

Yeah, i learned that RSE style sprites do not use pure black (but it does use a color extremely close to it), so maybe the non black I am using is too light?

I'd totally pick Orqua. It looks to damn adorable x3. And I think for the final evolution of your Grass starter should start with 'Dandy' and the middle evo sound start with 'Nibb', but it's your decision.
Potatode and Karmaphae look good, but I can't tell how Bluumier is a partly a Fire-type at all. Is there a way you told make it look like it is?

Yeah, I can see how Bluumier wouldn't look too firey. Maybe a yellow flame pattern in the petals? Its stalk and head stripes turned to red? I may completely redo Potatode's design and also design a pre-evolution for it.
Thanks for the suggestions! I was thinking Dandibon/bun for the final too.

EDIT
newspritesfix.png

Made Bluumier's face cuter, added a pre-evolution for Potatode and redrew his head.

Last edited:
Spoad is super cute... But I think I liked Potatode's old face a little better. It was a lot more charming in his stoned sort of way.

Well, I guess I will keep the old Potatode design, lol.

By the way, if all goes well, these guys are going to be for a Fire Red hack. My boyfriend has been researching the coding and scripts, and I've made a spreadsheet of 100 fakemon, their types, abilities, and base stats. I'm really excited about this. Maybe more sprites later today.

Well, I guess I will keep the old Potatode design, lol.

Yes! I liked the other one better by far! Potatode with fangs and a older face just does not look right. Spoad carries on the Potatode family name with amazing design and overall awesomeness! I like the others so far too! Oh and change Bluumiers design to a more fire type look unless your changing it back to plain grass type.

By the way, if all goes well, these guys are going to be for a Fire Red hack. My boyfriend has been researching the coding and scripts, and I've made a spreadsheet of 100 fakemon, their types, abilities, and base stats. I'm really excited about this. Maybe more sprites later today.

Good for you two! Can't wait too see more sprites and if you two do follow through with the hack, be sure to show us updates and the final product.

Back
Top Bottom