• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Grass King vs Blazheirio889

Astral

staring off into the ocean
Arena Description said:
2 Vs 2
Style: Set
DQ: 3 days
Damage Cap: None
Banned Moves: OHKO's, Direct Healing, Chills

Arena: Doubleland. (So no the one that Animorph used...)

A pure, white, completely flat void. When needed, the sun will appear, or water, or ice, or sand, or rocks, or anything else needed for moves. However, in the ground, there is a massive "x2" painted in black.

In this arena, everything goes for double. Double damage, double energy. Effects of moves, such as status effects, remain the same though, although poison and burn will still do twice as much damage as usual.

Grass King's Active Squad:

Turtwig; [Arbre] (M) <Overgrow>
Trapinch; [Sandy] (F) <Hyper Cutter>
Poliwhirl; [Tadpole] (F) <Water Absorb> | Hold item: King's Rock
Shinx; [Simba] (M) <Intimidate>
Poochyena; [Set] (M) <Quick Feet> | Hold item: Blackglasses
Smeargle; [Leonardo da Vinci] (M) <Own Tempo>
Girafarig; [Janus] (M) <Early Bird> | Move Mod: Assist
Gastly; [Spooky] (M) <Levitate> | Hold item: Lucky Egg
Tangela; [Medusa] (F) <Chlorophyll>
Eevee; [Adaptation] (F) <Adaptability> | Hold item: Water Stone

Blazheirio889's Active Squad:

Cyndaquil; [Khao] (M) <Blaze>
Taillow; [Ventus] (F) <Guts>
Shinx; [Retsurai] (M) <Intimidate>
Staryu; [Garnet] (N/A) <Illuminate>
Buizel; [Aqua] (F) <Swift Swim>

By coin flip...

Blazheirio889 sends out.
Grass King sends out and attacks.
Blazheirio889 attacks.
I then, shall ref.

Last edited:
I'll send out my Shinx.

Okay, start off with Thunder Wave. Then use Fire Fang. Finish off with Thunderbolt. If she protects successfully, then use Reflect once. After that use Howl.

Thunder Wave / Reflect ~ Fire Fang / Reflect / Howl ~ Thunderbolt / Reflect / Howl

(Astral, could also add what items my team is holding please)

Ouch, type disadvantage. But we can do this! (I hope)

First, I want you use Mud Slap. Aim for the eyes, of course, to reduce his accuracy. Now, chances are you'll be paralyzed, but we'll put that to our advantage and use Facade. If you aren't paralyzed, quickly avoid the Fire Fang with Fly and strike on the same action. Finally, on the last action, Protect. Shinx can't learn Reflect, so we should be fine.

Mud Slap ~ Facade (If paralyzed)/Fly (Avoid Fire Fang and strike) ~ Protect

Last edited:
((Blargh.. sorry for the late-ness.. I just realized how the DQ was three days and I already was a day late. make that two D: ;o;))

Like many of the other stages favored by TCoD's ASBrawlers, Doubleland is a place far away from normal reality. The stage is pure white, almost as if the trainers were merely in solitary confinement; of course, they weren't, but..

As the trainers blip into existence on the strange field, a large black "x2" begins flickering off into the background. Shortly after the trainers arrive, our referee of the match appears, signaling for blazheirio to send out her Pokemon. She tosses out a Pokeball, sending out her Taillow, who glides about the empty stage happily. After confirming her choice, the referee allows the other trainer, Grass King, to select his Pokemon; going for a type advantage, he releases a Shinx, who prowls around the stage in anticipation. The Shinx smirks up at the Taillow, who becomes slightly intimidated by the ferociousness of the little lion.

The referee raises both of his arms, blows into a whistle and the match begins!

--
Grass King's Team (OO)
Shinx
Simba (M) <Intimidate>
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%

blazheirio889's Team (OO)
Taillow
Ventus (F) <Guts>
Status: Flying around the arena. Slightly intimidated. -1 Attack
--
BEGIN ROUND ONE!

Upon hearing her trainer's commands, Ventus the Taillow flutters down closely to Simba as a thick pool of mud began to form in front of the Shinx. Although the little lion was nimble, he was no match for Ventus' speed; she flew down and kicked up some mud into Simba's face, who was slightly blinded by the attack. Nevertheless, the mud didn't hold anything back for Simba; his fur bristled with electricity as he released it into the air, aiming for his opponent's wings.

Ventus couldn't outrun this close-range attack, and felt a throbbing in her wings as Thunder Wave pulsed across her body. She slowly dropped in height; her muscles simply couldn't flap her wings hard enough to keep her high in the air. Simba, however, had no such restriction: he took advantage of the temporary ceasefire, crunching down hard on the bird, mouth full of flames. The Taillow squawked, trying to get out of Simba's mouth, but to no avail. Instead, Ventus's muscles began to spasm and cramp; Simba dropped her out of his mouth, for fear of something gone wrong.. Maybe he had broken some nerve?

As he knew afterwards, that wasn't the case. Ventus' paralysis condition only assisted the brutal beating he would receive as the Taillow assaulted him, empowered by her Guts ability. Wing after beak after wing again, Simba slowly retreated away from the crazy bird, silently hoping that this attack would end.

Apparently tired, Ventus slowly flew away from the Shinx, wings still heavy and stiff from her paralysis. She glided down to the ground, folding up her wings and closing her eyes. Simba, who had just recovered from the Facade, glanced over at his prey. A sitting duck to his next attack. He smirked once more, charging up for a Thund- wait, what is that? As he looked over the bird again, he noticed what he didn't before; the slight glimmer of a protective shield around her.

Alright, well, I have better things to do anyways.. the Shinx thought as he recalled his trainer's commands. What exactly was it that he wanted me to do..? Make a shield out of energy? Blargh, the things they try to make us do these days.. Simba shook his head, unable to perform the attack. Instead, he looked up to the sky, howling to his heart's content.
--

Grass King's Team (OO)
Shinx
Simba (M) <Intimidate>
Health: 68%
Energy: 80%
Status: Well, if it gets a break, so do I. -1 Accuracy, +1 Attack

Taillow
Ventus (F) <Guts>
Health: 88%
Energy: 72%
Status: Taking a breather under her Protect. -1 Attack, moderately paralyzed, Guts-activated
--

Ref's Notes:
- arena is mostly the same; small puddle of mud in about the center of the field
- I checked Veekun and Psypoke, and both say Shinx cannot learn Reflect so I just made him Howl instead
- I apologize about the delay again D:
- any questions/comments please tell me so I can fix :3
- blazheirio889 attacks next

Last edited:
Uhm, I'm not quite sure where the -1 Attack on Ventus came from, but otherwise the reffing looks fine to me.

Alright, Ventus! We've got a good first round; you'll have to deal with the paralysis for a bit longer, though.
I finally checked the other move tutors, and looks like Taillow can learn Counter. So let's use that to our advantage. First, give me a Taunt; if you're Taunted back first, however, I want you to use Facade. If Simba Protects, gimme a good Double Team - two clones will do.
Next, give me a vicious Facade. Counter if Simba uses something physical, and Sunny Day if he Protects.
Finally, an Aerial Ace. Again, Counter if Simba uses something physical, but this time, Protect if he looks like he'll use a special electric move. However, if you're Taunted on this action and he looks like he'll use a special electric move, use Aerial Ace anyway.

Taunt/Facade/Double Team (Two clones) ~ Facade/Counter/Sunny Day ~ Aerial Ace/Counter/Protect

...Something tells me there's a critical flaw in my commands...

Simba has Intimidate; I tried to mention it before the battle, that Ventus was a bit intimidated. Sorry if I didn't make it stand out a bit more D:

Yay, that was my fault about the Reflect. I was looking and I was thinking it casn learn Light Screen so it can learn Reflect.

Swagger ~ Ice Fang ~ Ice Fang

Grass King's Team (OO)
Shinx.png

Simba (M) <Intimidate>
Health: 68%
Energy: 80%
Status: Well, if it gets a break, so do I. -1 Accuracy, +1 Attack

Taillow.png

Ventus (F) <Guts>
Health: 88%
Energy: 72%
Status: Taking a breather under her Protect. -1 Attack, moderately paralyzed, Guts-activated
--
BEGIN ROUND TWO!

Carefully watching Simba howling at the, um.. sky, Ventus slowly let off of her Protect, relaxing her wings at her side. Simba, however, noticed the faint blue glow around the Taillow fading, and turned around to face her. Looking down at Ventus, Simba smirked, strutting around the field as small sparks of electricity fizzed across his fur. Ventus eyed him warily; whatever he was trying to do to provoke her, it wasn't working. Simba, unaware that his charade wasn't having any sort of effect on the Taillow, continued waltzing around, flaunting his beautiful, freshly-combed coat -

But Ventus, again, wasn't fazed. Instead, she cruelly scoffed at his pride. You think you're better than me because of your coat? Hah! Beauty ain't for battles, pal! It's only for little sissies who stay at home, snarfing whatever food they can get! The Shinx looked apalled; he, certainly, had never dug in the trash bins to find something plausible to eat.. No, certainly not him..

Ventus continued her taunting: Oh, did I hit the nail on the head? Are you feeling a bit.. hungry, pudgy? Need extra padding for the up-and-coming winter? Wait, Shinxes don't hibernate, do they? Then why are you eating like an Ursaring? Do you just like being called "fat"?

..and this was enough for Simba. He snarled, his fangs glimmering as they began to coat themselves in ice. He hurled himself at the Taillow, clamping his mouth down onto her right wing. Ventus squawked, the brutal cold of his teeth chilling her core. But, it wasn't too much.. Ventus grinned. The close range made it the perfect time for a counter.

She took her right wing and slammed it hard against the ground, bringing Simba with it. The Shinx groaned as he face-planted, his face smushed into the white ground. He let go of Ventus' wing and backed up, a bit woozy from the contact. Nevertheless, he shook it off and began forming icicles on his teeth once again, readying himself for another bite. This time, however, Ventus wasn't paying much attention to him at all; she was still trying to process her trainer's commands. Simba lunged at the Taillow once more, fangs bared. Ventus only had a moment to realize she was being attacked before Simba struck, leaving Ventus reeling.
--
Grass King's Team (OO)
Shinx.png

Simba (M) <Intimidate>
Health: 42%
Energy: 50%
Status: Pfft. I'm not fat. D< -1 Accuracy, +1 Attack, Taunted (1 more action)

Taillow.png

Ventus (F) <Guts>
Health: 59%
Energy: 48%
Status: Knocked backwards by Simba's attack. -1 Attack, slightly paralyzed, Guts-activated
--

Ref's notes:
- Swagger missed
- Ventus sat out her third command because it was difficult to process (aka too many conditional commands D:)
- Still a mud puddle in the middle of the stage
- If I mucked anything up please tell me :3
- Grass King attacks first

Huh, I'm not quite sure if Ventus should've scrambled up her commands. The rules say that as long as there are three or under commands, the Pokemon will be able to process them. And I did only issue three commands: Aerial Ace, Counter, and Protect.

Discharge thrice, unless she successfully protects, in which case use Fury Cutter on the first action, and Howl on the second and third actions. If you're taunted after the first action and she successfully protects, then use Fury Cutter again.

Discharge/Fury Cutter ~ Discharge/Fury Cutter/Howl ~ Discharge/Fury Cutter/Howl

Mmhm... This looks like a toughie. So let's switch to pussy mode and use Quick Attack + Fly. Use the Quick Attack as a speed boost, to ensure you go first and avoid those Discharges. Then, use Heat Wave to attack the Shinx below you.
The paralysis doesn't seem too bad now, so you should be able to stay in the air. In the off chance that you become fully paralyzed, though, shuffle your orders around. Basically, sit there and twitch crazily, then on the next action execute what you were supposed to the action you were paralyzed.

Quick Attack + Fly/Sit there and twitch ~ Heat Wave/Quick Attack + Fly/Sit there and twitch ~ Heat Wave/Sit there and twitch/Nothing (If you executed the combo)

Last edited:
Okay, here's the deal. I decided to e-ref this and was going in to edit the damage/energy so that they accounted for a second successful Counter, but then I noticed that Ventus didn't seem to have taken enough damage from Ice Fang. It looked to me as though it had been doubled as per the effect of the arena, but weakness had not been accounted for; either that, or Astral's scale of weakness and resistance adds very, very small amounts to the damage. (Alternatively, he uses a very high weak/resist scale and forgot to double it.) Given weakness and Simba's attack boost, I got a number closer to 20% damage per Ice Fang. I went ahead with the smaller number that he got when recalculating, but any further uses of Ice Fang will have their damage increased to a more suitable number.

Anyway, I'm posting this to say that with a second successful counter, the damage and energy for the battlers now looks like this:

Simba
16% health
50% energy

Ventus
48% health
34% energy

Ventus is now quite a bit more tired and Simba is almost out of health. If you two would like to change your commands to take this into account, you can do so now (Grass King first).

In that case... Ventus, use a Quick Attack + Brave Bird combo. I'm too lazy to screw around with calculations, so yeah... That should be more than enough to knock out Simba. If he's still somehow alive, just gimme another Quick Attack.

If you're paralyzed, shuffle your actions to the next action.

Quick Attack + Brave Bird/Sit there and twitch ~ Quick Attack/Quick Attack + Brave Bird/Sit there and twitch ~ Quick Attack/Sit there and twitch/Nothing (If combo was executed)

Grass King vs. blazheirio889, Round Three

Pre-Round Stats

Team Grass (2/2 Pokémon Remaining)

Shinx
Simba (M) [Intimidate]
Health: 16%
Status: Attack +1, Accuracy -1; Taunted (1 more action); reeling from the countered blows
Simba's Commands: Discharge/Fury Cutter ~ Discharge/Fury Cutter/Howl ~ Discharge/Fury Cutter/Howl

Team blazheirio (2/2 Pokémon Remaining)

Taillow
Ventus (F) [Guts]
Health: 48%
Energy: 34%
Status: Attack -1; Paralyzed (light); panting with exertion
Ventus's Commands: Quick Attack + Brave Bird/Sit there ~ Quick Attack/Quick Attack + Brave Bird/Sit there ~ Quick Attack/Sit there

Arena: Doubleland

A pure, white, completely flat void. When needed, the sun will appear, or water, or ice, or sand, or rocks, or anything else needed for moves. However, in the ground, there is a massive "x2" painted in black.

In this arena, everything goes for double. Double damage, double energy. Effects of moves, such as status effects, remain the same though, although poison and burn will still do twice as much damage as usual.

Round Three: Begin

Simba's fury and icy fangs still make Ventus quite nervous, and the last thing she needs is a heavy-duty electrical shock from that awful little lion. She pumps her stiff wings as hard as she can and pulls herself up into the air, then backwings for a few feet to ensure that she has extra room. She would've pulled back even further had she not seen Simba's paws and forelegs flashing violently, electricity building up to dangerous levels in preparation for firing; the Taillow panics and throws herself forward early, desperate to stop the attack before it has a chance to hit her. She dissolves into a blur of blue as she rushes across the featureless white ground, and a blaze of pure flying-type energy surrounds her body as she draws nearer and nearer to her target. Ventus smashes into Simba's chest beak first, all of her weight and momentum bowling the lion cub over flat. The raw energy around her body burns away at Simba's fur and her own feathers; when Ventus rolls off and hits the ground seconds later she is tender and achy, and a faint moan escapes her narrow beak.

Simba, on the other hand, wishes that he had the luxury of adjectives like "tender" and "achy". The force of the impact winds and stuns the Shinx, and the powerful attack combined with his prior injuries and the bizarre properties of the arena are too much to bear. Simba shudders and goes limp next to the now-shrinking mud puddle and the glow fades from his body, as he has no strength left to sustain it. Ventus sighs from her position on the ground. No more mean, scary electric-type! Simba's blackout seems to lift a weight from her heart, and she feels as though she can finally relax a little bit. She could certainly use the rest--she is absolutely exhausted.

Round Three: Close

Post-Round Stats

Team Grass (1/2 Pokémon Remaining)

Shinx
Simba (M) [Intimidate]
Health: 0%

Taillow
Ventus (F) [Guts]
Energy: 11%

Arena Status: The mud conjured by mud-slap is slowly being absorbed back into the featureless ground.

Ref's Notes
-Simba fainted on the first action.
-Thanks to her magical Centurion powers I mean With Simba gone Ventus's confidence has returned, so her attack has returned to normal.
-Grass King sends out, blazheirio889 attacks and then Grass King attacks.

Thanks for taking this Kratos.

[Janus] Girafarig (M) <Early Bird>
Move Mod: Assist

Go my two-headed psychic giraffe of doom!

Centurian powers yesss.

Anyway. Quick Attack + Brave Bird + Aerial Ace, if you think you have enough energy to manage it (I doubt it). If not, Quick Attack + Aerial Ace. If Janus Protects or Detects, then do nothing.

Quick Attack + Brave Bird + Aerial Ace/Quick Attack + Aerial Ace/Nothing ~ Quick Attack + Aerial Ace/Nothing ~ Nothing

Good job, my little birdie :) I'll buy you a cookie when this is done.

Okay Janus, start off by using Skill Swap, since then she'll lose that damage bonus. Then throw up a reflect. Finish off by using Calm Mind.

Skill Swap ~ Reflect ~ Calm Mind

Grass King vs. blazheirio889, Round Four

Pre-Round Stats

Girafarig
Janus (M) [Early Bird]
Status: Wow, that's a lot of white!... Wow, that's a lot of white!
Janus's Commands: Skill Swap ~ Reflect ~ Calm Mind

Taillow
Ventus (F) [Guts]
Energy: 11%
Ventus's Commands: Quick Attack + Brave Bird + Aerial Ace/Quick Attack + Aerial Ace/Nothing ~ Quick Attack + Aerial Ace/Nothing ~ Nothing

Arena: Doubleland

Round Four: Begin

Grass King's Girafarig, Janus, is spirited onto the field shortly after Simba falls, and the giraffe Pokémon paws the blank ground in front of him in anticipation. His horns shimmer with a pinkish light as he prepares to swap abilities with the exhausted, worn-down Taillow fluttering in the air several feet away, but before he can proceed the little bird explodes forward with a frightening burst of speed. The blaring bluish-gray energy that flares up around her wings and beak barely has time to register in the large head's eyes before Ventus crashes straight into his long neck, the impact to the windpipe causing the Girafarig to hit the ground, coughing and gagging. Ventus rolls down off of his front and slumps on the ground, completely spent. As the bright, white landscape fades into black she has a sneaking suspicion that her previous attack, when she was just a bit more chipper, had more oomph behind it; still, she reasons as she finally passes out, Janus is definitely going to feel that one in the morning.

Round Four: Close

Post-Round Stats

Girafarig
Janus (M) [Early Bird]
Health: 78%

Team blazheirio (1/2 Pokémon Remaining)

Taillow
Ventus (F) [Guts]
Health: 35%
Energy: 0%

Arena Status: The ground has returned to normal and is once again smooth, unbroken white as far as the eye can see save for the massive black "x2".

Ref's Notes
-Ventus was able to use the combo, but its damage was reduced because she didn't have the energy to use it at full power. Not that that's saying much in this arena o.O
-Ventus fainted on the first action.
-blazheirio sends out, Grass King attacks and then blazheirio attacks.

Back
Top Bottom