• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Skymin vs Prettzel

Astral

staring off into the ocean
Arena Description said:
2vs2 Single
Style: Set
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned/Restricted: OHKO's, Attract, Self-healing moves (like recover), 1st Stage Pokemon only (Pokemon that evolve from Babies, like Pikachu and Clefairy are fine)

6. Arena Description: Evergreen Park

An average-sized, modest park dotted with large evergreen trees. Scattered about is play equipment, such as slides, swings, monkey bars, jungle gyms, and even a merry-go-round (Not the one with horses, the kind where kids sit inside it and someone spins it around) in the center. These are all new and won't break easily, and could even be used to one's advantage. There is also a small duck pond with a tiny island in the middle. The wind is gentle and the skies sunny, but each round, there's a 5% chance that a storm could blow in and put the stage into the Rain effect for five turns.

Skymin's Active Squad:

Mudkip; [Scooter] (M) <Torrent>
Mareep; [Chirin] (M) <Static>
Spoink; [Snowball] (F) <Thick Fat>
Phanpy; [Wheelie] (F) <Pickup>
Clamperl; [Chimera] (M) <Shell Armor>

Prettzel's Active Squad:

Torchic; [Hookbill] (M) <Blaze>
Starmie; [Ruse] (N/A) <Illuminate>
Abra; [Kine] (M) <Synchronize>
Sneasel; [Phazon] (M) <Inner Focus>
Zangoose; [Oscar] (M) <Immunity> | Body Mod: Reaction-Enhancing Muscle Attachments
Gastly; [Spookter] (M) <Levitate>
Venonat; [Qazitory] (F) <Tinted Lens>
Treecko; [Vizzini] (M) <Overgrow>
Mantyke; [Birostris] (F) <Swift Swim>
Elekid; [Haokah] (M) <Static>

Mmmk, by flip of the coin:

Prettzel sends out.
Skymin sends out and attacks.
Prettzel attacks.
I ref.

Scooter, my trusty Mudkip, you're up!

Okay, Scooter, first I want you to get close to the pond and use Mud Slap to get his accuracy down. Then, use Defense Curl. Finish by attacking with Water Pulse. Be sure to stay near or in the water!

Mud Slap ~ Defense Curl ~ Water Pulse

Okay, we don't want to get an accuracy drop, so use Faint Attack; time it so that you dodge Mud Slap. Next, let's use Swords Dance since we have a break. Finally, cover your ears and close your eyes, wait until he uses Water Pulse, then use Payback.

Faint Attack ~ Swords Dance ~ Payback (After Water Pulse)

As the two trainers arrive to the designated battlefield, the sun is gently sliding down the western hemisphere, leaving the park with a warm afternoon glow. One of the trainers begins to make his way across Evergreen Park, impeded only by a couple of swings. He turns and faces the other trainer, a grim look of determination upon his face. His opponent, however, is less focused upon the match and looks around, enjoying the scenery immensely. He glances over at her, wondering if it even mattered whether the referee showed up or not.

Out of the bramble comes the referee, hurriedly trying to pry himself off of a branch. He runs into the clearing where the trainers are standing, and trips over a low swing, landing face-first into the grass. "Right, right, sorry.." he says, standing up and brushing himself off. "Alright!" He points over to the male trainer, and signals him to select his first Pokémon. The male trainer tosses out a red-and-white Pokéball, and sends out a Sneasel. It dances on its feet, hopping from one to another, eager to fight. The referee signals to the female trainer, who picks out a Pokéball from her belt. Out of the ball came a Mudkip, smacking its lips and yawning. The referee stands out of the way, and whistles for the match to commence!

--
Prettzel's Party (OO)
Sneasel
Phazon (M) <Inner Focus>
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%

Skymin's Party (OO)
Mudkip
Scooter (M) <Torrent>
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
--

BEGIN ROUND ONE!

The shrill noise that came from the referee's whistle (who, by the way, was sitting on a swing next to Scooter) was enough to snap his attention onto the battle at hand. Hearing his trainer's command, Scooter the Mudkip surveyed his surroundings, looking over most of the playground equipment before he located the duck pond. Turning, he darted towards his left, headed for the pond. Unnoticed, Phazon expelled dark energy, wrapping it around himself. It was only a moment before he disappeared completely into the afternoon sky.

Meanwhile, Scooter dove into the pond, enjoying the gentle caress of the summer water. Although splashing into the warm water was fun, the Mudkip had a mission; and that mission was to play in the mud. Scooter prodded the mud in the pond with his foot. Unlike the clay-ish dirt that was around the rest of the park, this mud was nice and soft. Easy to kick out at people. He turned around, scouring the arena for his opponent. But there was no one: to the Mudkip, Phazon had evaporated into thin air. Scooter looked around feverishly; maybe he was hiding behind a tree or something? He kicked out mud, splattering it all over the grass outside of the pond. When none of it made contact with the Sneasel, Mudkip genuinely looked frantic. Where did he -

Whatever thoughts Scooter was having were cut short as Phazon emerged from his cloak of darkness and thrust himself into Scooter. To the Mudkip, the attack came out of nowhere; his feet came out from under him as he slid across the pond, landing near the island in the center. Looking rather pleased with himself, Phazon jumped out of the pond, leaving the Mudkip alone. Casting a quick glance, Phazon assured himself that Scooter would not be standing any time soon, much less attacking him.

Clearly feeling confident, he began the mutterings of an ancient ritual. Sacred energy begin flowing through his body, shaping it, making it stronger, faster, sharper. Phazon closed his eyes and relaxed his body, allowing the ritual to perform its magic upon him. As the glowing energy began to fade, the Sneasel opened his eyes, knowing that his physical attacking skills had hence multiplied.

Meanwhile, Scooter the Mudkip was no longer in a slump at the edge of the small island; rather, he had crawled up onto it. Shaking himself free of mud much like a wet dog, Scooter took his chance to roll backwards into a ball, covering all of his weak spots. After a full three seconds of sitting in fetal position, he risked a glance at his opponent. Unexpectedly, the Sneasel was sitting there, apparently not interested in attacking him. In fact, on closer inspection, he was covering his ears with his paws and had his eyes tightly shut.

Well, if he needed some motivation to fight, perhaps Scooter himself should deliver. Taking advantage of the Sneasel's momentary ceasefire, Scooter uncurled himself and splashed into the pool, letting the water's current wash over him. He began to pool up water from his deepest reserves, taking longer than he normally would to see if Phazon would suddenly attack. But the Sneasel still sat on the bank, motionless.

For whatever reason Phazon didn't want to attack, Scooter now did not care. He unleashed a powerful jet of water laced with sound waves at his opponent, deliberately aiming for the Sneasel's large head. Even as the impending attack came closer, Phazon still did not move; covering his eyes and ears had rendered whatever ability he had to dodge the attack useless. He took the Water Pulse head-on, rolling backwards and up a small hill.

It took a moment for Phazon to stand, but he shook his head clear. The Sneasel grimaced bitterly as he began to spiral dark energy around himself once more. He had gotten nailed by the stupid Mudkip's last attack, but we would get his revenge for that momentarily. With a broad leap, Phazon landed near the centre of the pond, close to Scooter. Scooter's broad face of triumphing in his previous attack quickly fell to a downcast frown as the Sneasel released a bolt of dark energy along with his fist, impacting the Mudkip in the stomach. Groaning, Scooter stumbled backwards a few steps, while Phazon grinned, awaiting his next orders.
--

Prettzel's Party (OO)
Sneasel
Phazon (M) <Inner Focus>
Health: 93%
Energy: 86%
Status: Standing confidently over his bruised opponent. +2 Attack

Skymin's Party (OO)
Mudkip
Scooter (M) <Torrent>
Health: 82%
Energy: 91%
Status: Stumbling backwards, caught off-guard by that Payback attack. +1 Defense
--

Ref's Notes:
- Scooter's Mud Slap missed entirely
- Field around the pond is slightly muddy
- I apologize for the delay, and tell me if I screwed up again, kthx
- Prettzel attacks first

Last edited:
Why couldn't Phazon dodge the Mud Slap? He had prior warning that it was coming, and Sneasel has base 115 speed, seventy five more than Muskip. Also, I'm not really clear on the way you reffed Water Pulse; it sounds like Phazon was just finishing up Swords Dance when he got hit, but he should have gone before Scooter on the second action and thus have time to cover his eyes and ears.

(Could you also add the items my team and Skymin's are holding?)

Last edited:
Why couldn't Phazon dodge the Mud Slap? He had prior warning that it was coming, and Sneasel has base 115 speed, seventy five more than Muskip. Also, I'm not really clear on the way you reffed Water Pulse; it sounds like Phazon was just finishing up Swords Dance when he got hit, but he should have gone before Scooter on the second action and thus have time to cover his eyes and ears.

(Could you also add the items my team and Skymin's are holding?)

Yeah, um.. I probably just deserve a couple of headsmacks for that one. Both of those, actually. My whole reffing could probably use a rewrite, then; so no attacks until I redo that, for now. I'm pretty sure I just.. tried to rush myself into writing it too quickly.

I will do that as well.

Okay, we have our attack boost, so let's move on to attacking mode. Have at that Mudkip with Faint Attack, and try to time it to dodge any attacks he throws at you, if possible. Then, kick some mud into his face with Mud Slap; finish with another Faint Attack, and try to dodge his attack with it if you can. If Scooter uses Protect or is otherwise unreachable except by means of a Substitute, then use Calm Mind, or just Chill if it's done on the third action. If Scooter will not be affected by the Mud Slap's accuracy drop on the second action but another offensive more will work, use Bite.

Faint Attack/Calm Mind ~ Mud Slap/Calm Mind/Bite ~ Faint Attack/Chill

Grr...alright, Scooter. Stick to the water, stay under the surface and Curse your little heart out. The speed drop won't bother you much. Once you've got your boost, hit with Waterfall. If you succeed in making him flinch, surface and follow up with Ancientpower. If not, hold your ground and use Double Team.

Curse ~ Waterfall ~ Ancientpower/Double Team

Originally Posted by Skymin
2vs2 Single
Banned/Restricted: OHKO's, Attract, Self-healing moves (like recover), 1st Stage Pokemon only (Pokemon that evolve from Babies, like Pikachu and Clefairy are fine)

An average-sized, modest park dotted with large evergreen trees. Scattered about is play equipment, such as slides, swings, monkey bars, jungle gyms, and even a merry-go-round (Not the one with horses, the kind where kids sit inside it and someone spins it around) in the center. These are all new and won't break easily, and could even be used to one's advantage. There is also a small duck pond with a tiny island in the middle. The wind is gentle and the skies sunny, but each round, there's a 5% chance that a storm could blow in and put the stage into the Rain effect for five turns.

Round Two

Pretzzel (OO)

Sneasel
Phazon (M) <Inner Focus>
Health: 93%
Energy: 86%
Status: Standing confidently over his bruised opponent. +2 Attack
Commands: Faint Attack/Calm Mind ~ Mud Slap/Calm Mind/Bite ~ Faint Attack/Chill

Skymin (OO)

Mudkip
Scooter (M) <Torrent>
Health: 82%
Energy: 91%
Status: Stumbling backwards, caught off-guard by that Payback attack. +1 Defense
Commands: Curse ~ Waterfall ~ Ancientpower/Double Team

Phazon glanced eagerly at his opponent, hoping to dodge another attack and rub it into the stupid Mudkip’s face, but Scooter did nothing but hunker down in the water. The Sneasel’s enthusiastic expression was replaced with disappointment, even as he cloaked his body with dark energy and faded from sight. Scooter cringed slightly, knowing that within a few seconds Phazon would reappear and attack, but there was nothing he could do except brace himself. At precisely that time, Phazon was creeping around Scooter’s still form in the water. The dark aura around him prevented the clear liquid from splashing around, which would alert his opponent to his presence; it was like the Sneasel had disappeared from the arena entirely.

Just as abruptly as he had vanished, Phazon reappeared right behind Scooter, and dealt a vicious slash to the Mudkip’s backside. Scooter stifled a yell that was half shock, half pain, before standing up. He started mumbling arcane phrases under his breath while dancing an intricate dance, his movements graceful despite his stubby legs. When he settled back down in the water, letting the cold fluid wash over the three vertical wounds he received from the Faint Attack, he was noticeably more muscular. The ancient ritual added to his muscle mass, enhancing his power as well as his defenses, but not without a cost. Scooter felt slightly more sluggish, unused to having such... beefy limbs.

As Scooter experimentally flexed his limbs, Phazon swam to the edge of the pond and dug some mud out of the bank, his claws leaving deep gouges in the wall. Then he clambered out of the pool, shook some water out of his eyes, and cocked his arm back to throw the ball of mud at his opponent. It hit dead-on, splattering Scooter’s face with a thick, brown sheet. He squealed and pawed desperately at his eyes, attempting to clear out the debris, but to no avail. When he opened his eyes, grains of sand dug into his corneas and his vision was still blurry. He could make out a vague black shape on the bank, though. Scooter zipped around the surface of the pond once to gather water around his scales, then shot out of the water like a blue bullet, straight into Phazon’s stomach. He staggered from the impact and landed on his back with Scooter pinning him down. The Mudkip smirked at him and made a satisfied sound.

Phazon would’ve liked to shake off the water left over from the Waterfall, but that was a feat that was unlikely to be accomplished when he was pinned to the ground like an insect. Instead, he shrouded himself in murky energy once more, shooting a glare at Scooter as he did so, and disappeared from sight. Scooter had only a fleeting moment to glance around in confusion before Phazon wiggled out of the Mudkip’s grasp, causing the mudfish Pokemon to collapse ungracefully on the muddy floor. Just as he pulled himself back up to his feet, Phazon materialized behind him and scored his long claws across his tailfin. Scooter snarled in pain and looked at the sensitive membrane worriedly, before dashing away from his opponent. Phazon merely watched with mild amusement, but his expression changed to astonishment as Scooter built up speed until he was just a cerulean blur. Eventually he slowed down, and Phazon’s face contorted in horror when he saw two more Mudkips staring at him.

Pretzzel (OO)

Sneasel
Phazon (M) <Inner Focus>
Health: 83%
Energy: 77%

Skymin (OO)

Mudkip
Scooter (M) <Torrent>
Health: 65%
Energy: 80%
Status: Tired of his opponent’s random disappearances. +1 Attack, +2 Defense, -1 Speed, -1 Accuracy. Has three clones.

Terrain notes
The ground is wet a few feet away from Phazon, where the Waterfall hit.

Final notes
Skymin attacks first next round.
I’m not too sure what happened last round (Only skimmed through the last reffing) so if I made any mistakes do tell me.
And the number of clones made by Double Team wasn’t specified, so I went with the default three.

Last edited:
Mm, the default number of clones is actually five; mudkip is a little slow, though, so it would probably be able to produce around three.

Oh, I could've sworn that I've seen a bunch of battles where the referees said that the default number is two. I'll change it anyway. Thanks, Negrek.

Okay, time to go on the offensive.

Start with Rock Slide, then use Ancientpower again. Finish with Waterfall.

Rock Slide ~ Ancientpower ~ Waterfall

All right, I don't want those clones getting in the way, so use Dark Pulse to clear them out and damage Scooter a little. If you can't target both him and the clones, then Swift will do. Next, use Payback, waiting until Scooter attacks. If an attack misses or he gets an Ancientpower boost, use Punishment instead.

Dark Pulse/Swift ~ Payback/Punishmentx2

Also! Blazheirio889, do you consider attacks made with boosted stats to cost more energy?

Last edited:
Nope, I don't. I think most referees don't, actually.
However, just in case you're wondering, I add 1.5% to the damage per boost, rounded down. So if a Pokemon has +1 attack it'll do say, 4% instead of 3%, but if it has +2 attack it'll do 6% instead of 3%.

Oh, well, you're in luck that I haven't started the reffing yet. Well, I'll give you five days to post'em (Although, I don't think it'll take that long).

Originally Posted by Skymin
2vs2 Single

Round Three

Pretzzel (OO)

Sneasel
Phazon (M) <Inner Focus>
Health: 83%
Energy: 77%
Commands: Dark Pulse/Swift ~ Payback/Punishment ~ Payback/Punishment

Skymin (OO)

Mudkip
Scooter (M) <Torrent>
Health: 65%
Energy: 80%
Status: Tired of his opponent’s random disappearances. +1 Attack, +2 Defense, -1 Speed, -1 Accuracy. Has three clones.
Commands: Rock Slide ~ Ancientpower ~ Waterfall

Phazon thought for a moment, then shrugged and went with his first option. Exaggerating his horror at the appearance of three new ‘opponents’, he concentrated his revulsion as well as other negative, vindictive thoughts in his body. Scooter stepped back nervously as the Sneasel started to glow with a violently black aura. A brief moment later, Phazon released his pent-up animosity; Scooter had no hope of avoiding it as the shadowy wave rushed up to him. His clones faded away the instant the dark energy approached them, while the real Mudkip screeched as the caustic pulse washed over him.

A few seconds passed before the Mudkip shook himself and got a grip. Closing his eyes in concentration, he soon began to glow a grey-brown, and a tearing sound deep within the earth was heard. Phazon glanced around wildly. Not far from the two feuding Pokemon, several sizeable rocks had ripped themselves out of the ground, the boulders shrouded in the same aura as Scooter was. The Sneasel had scarcely enough time to bury his head under his claws before… The impact never came. With an earth-shattering – no pun intended – crash, the boulders collapsed onto the ground a meter away from him, splintering upon contact, then somehow melting back into the soil without a trace.

Heart still pounding, Phazon hurriedly recalled his commands. He sighed in dismay; was he really supposed to sit there and get flattened? With a huff he sat down on the ground, arms crossed. Scooter saw this as a golden opportunity to rip more rocks out of the ground, these alight with a strange blue fire instead. Suddenly, archaic whispers echoed eerily through the air, the murmured syllables seemingly in synch with the flickering of the fire. They hovered for a moment longer before beginning a quick, spiraling descent right on Phazon’s prone form. He shrieked in pain as the boulders crashed down on his spindly limbs, wrenching some joints the wrong way and breaking his blackish skin. Once again the rocks somehow melted back into the earth, though the craters from where they originated remained.

Gathering his resentment at being attacked, Phazon stood up, his body already flickering with a faded black aura which grew more opaque by the second. He reared his head and snarled viciously, while the dark energy around his body leapt around. Then he lunged, one arm extended, to bury his long claws into Scooter’s side. The Mudkip yelled and tried to squirm away, but to no avail. Still growling, Phazon wrenched his claws out and started slashing up a storm, Scooter crying out with every blow. Eventually the Sneasel became too tired to keep up the onslaught, but a fair amount of damage had already been done.

Now very intimidated, Scooter hesitantly coated his scales with a veil of water energy. Then he ran, lowering his head to bring it crashing into his opponent’s stomach. Water droplets spun away in sparkling points as Phazon shook the water out of his short fur. Soon he was once again shrouded in a menacing aura, and Scooter found himself subject to another relentless assault. Now starting to flag from his injuries, the Mudkip did his best to glare at his opponent, who looked completely unfazed.

Pretzzel (OO)

Sneasel
Phazon (M) <Inner Focus>
Health: 66%
Energy: 57%

Skymin (OO)

Mudkip
Scooter (M) <Torrent>
Health: 37%
Energy: 62%
Status: Very wary of Phazon. +1 Attack, +2 Defense, -1 Speed, -1 Accuracy.

Terrain notes
The ground is wet near Phazon, where the Watefall hit. Also, there are several large craters a few feet away from the battlers.

Final notes
Pretzzel attacks first next round.
Dark Pulse’s damage was reduced because it was widespread.
Rock Slide missed.

Okay, let's go do some attacking; three Dark Pulses should do a sizable amount of damage. If he Protects, Calm Mind. If you're asleep on the third action, Sleep Talk.

Dark Pulse/Calm Mind ~ Dark Pulse/Calm Mind ~ Dark Pulse/Calm Mind/Sleep Talk

Ugh, no imagination here.

Back
Top Bottom