• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Magikarp Thoughts

FluffyGryphon

Fluffball Extraordinaire
You ever think the -real- reason Magikarp is such a dumpy pokemon is because it's actually being infested by a horrible parasite latched onto its brain? And eventually, the parasite grows so large, that the Magikarp 'evolves' (bursts) and the parasite turns out to be a young Gyarados?

Gives you something to think about.

....Whoa. That's bizarre, but makes sense actually. Except we don't see flying Magikarp innards when it evolves, heh.

Acctualy, Magikarp reminds me of the world's gold fishies- expect its bigger and even dumber. I thought it might be that way that they become total brutes once their mini-brain is hurt enough times in battle(experience- meaning, for every hit on the head, they become stronger and more agressive)

Isn't it based on Japanese legend about karps who turn into dragons or something like that?

Magikarp: the Gathering explains it as being because Deoxys, trying to get back at Suicune for leaving him out of a meeting, deliberately crippled the Magikarp of the world while Gyarados retained the species' original strength and bloodthirst, but that was just me being silly.

....Whoa. That's bizarre, but makes sense actually. Except we don't see flying Magikarp innards when it evolves, heh.

Well the parasite must be eating the Magikarp from the inside. That's why they're always flopping around, they're in pain D:

...The only thing I thought of when I read this was Resident Evil 4. Los Plagas, anyone?

Hah! I was thinking more along the lines of Aliens at the time, but that's a really funny comparison!

True, but then again, GameFreak isn't about to do that anytime soon. XD

Isn't it based on Japanese legend about karps who turn into dragons or something like that?

About the dragons... I think so. I'm not sure, but that would bring up a dozen questions of its own just by stating that... like for example why Gyarados isn't a dragon type, but rather Water/Flying.

but that was just me being silly.
That's you being you, I think. XD And that's an imaginative story for it. :>

You'd be right. Magikarp's based of a Japanese legend about the dragon's gate: any fish you could pass through it would turn into a dragon.

Er, wasn't it any koi that could swim up a waterfall through the gate became a dragon? Or am I thinking of whatever Horsea and Seadra are based on?

About the dragons... I think so. I'm not sure, but that would bring up a dozen questions of its own just by stating that... like for example why Gyarados isn't a dragon type, but rather Water/Flying.

I do believe the rest of the legend goes on to state how the dragoncarp abuses its powers and then has its dragonness taken away, or something.

I could be wrong though.

You'd be right. Magikarp's based of a Japanese legend about the dragon's gate: any fish you could pass through it would turn into a dragon.

Actually, an emperor had a pond filled with gold fish. If any were to jump over the gate that led into the pond, it would turn into a dragon. It does make since with Gyarados, since the dragon created wouldn't have any arms or legs, and it could fly.

Having Magikarp and Gyrados based off of the legend is fine and dandy, but I myself prefer the parasite thing FluffyGryphon suggested, because I'm morbid like that.

Here's an excerpt from my "case study".
Its rapid evolution is also partly to blame for its uncontrollable fits of rage. A few months before Magikarp evolve; they swarm forests of seaweed to feed, often becoming aggressive by tackling other Pokemon out of the way. While one on its own will harm nothing, most attack as swarms. On average, an evolving Magikarp can eat over 500% of its own body mass before evolving. This also helps with sharpening their small, stubby teeth into fangs upon evolution. These feeding frenzies last up to a week.

After the frenzy, the Magikarp swim in circles rapidly, creating somewhat harmless yet majestic whirlpools ranging up to a mile in diameter. The Magikarp then release all its stored energy, lengthening its stubby body up to 6 metres, and the scales sprout out painfully, especially on its forehead where a three-pointed crest bursts out from its old set of scales. Despite all the metamorphosis, the Pokemon still race around the whirlpool, now reaching speeds of 88mph, dragging small boats into the dangerous depths.

After it fully evolves into Gyarados, each Pokemon jet out of the whirlpool underwater, still maintaining its breakneck speed. Most Gyarados come out of the whirlpool with a red coloration, shedding its old scales a few hours later, revealing its shining blue scales.

However, there is a rare occurrence where the Gyarados never develop its pigmentation, resulting in a dark red hue on its scales. Most red Gyarados are prone to much more violent rampages. This could be a possible effect of its genes under developing.

Grimdour's theory makes sense for exact data; the carp becoming a dragon theory is probably true. However, I'd rather be silly right now and say that they are really dumb because their parents and trainers mistreated them for being so weak. (According to the anime, Magikarp have super-hard scales and are inedible.) And predators just tortured them for similar reasons. Because of this their brains were underdeveloped due to a lack of nonviolent pasts, so upon evolution they become evil and attack most strangers.

Nobody was saying it wasn't, it's just speculation.

I really like it, actually. :3

I'm pretty sure Feebas are Magikarp that, due to exposure to badwater, have slowly evolved into disgusting, brown fish. Which makes sense. And then, when it evolves, it becomes a Milotic because its scales protect it from the water.

Yeah.

I doubt Magikarp are susceptible to contaminated water, plus most of the Pokemon world is an environmentalist's dream. I would say that their weakness is due to Darwinian evolution; Magikarp never really needed to defend itself due to its hard scales and the Gyarados protecting the schools. Over time, they lost some of their abilities and the "rage" gene only turns on upon adolescence, before or during the feeding frenzy.

The original Pokedex (the book) actually said that Magikarp was once the mightiest of all Pokemon, but lost all its powers over time.

But yeah, the thing's based off "The Dragon Gate" of mythology.

I just recon its an idiot. but parisites are cool. I recon it has something to do with the fact that its evolotion is bacause it gets angry with the fact everyone know'sits an idiot and garadose is a sort of revange.

Back
Top Bottom