• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Do you finish what you start?

Hyozanryu

All diamonds turn to dust..
I'm terrible with this. I start to write something, and never finish it. I always say that I will, but I either start on a new story, or leave it for another day.

So, what about you; Do you finish what you start?

Nope. Hee hee. The longest story I've ever written -- a Pokemon fanfiction -- is 4 chapters long. It's called The Rift.

XD

I may have had a few things longer, but I can't remember them now, and they weren't Pokemon based; probably Warriors or something.

I also remember doing a series of drawings when I was five or so called "The Kim Sisters" -- I managed to finish the entire book (which wasn't very long) and lose it.

Well, I have lots of 'computer banns', and lots of school, so whenever I reach chapter 5 or 6, I have to stop. My longest story ever is called "PMD teamEat"

Depends on how far I've gotten with it already. When I do shelve a project, I usually intend to continue with it at some point.

Usually, although often not for a long time. It's not that I have trouble finishing what I start, in that I get tired of it or stuck with it and chuck it, but that I get distracted by something shiny and end up writing that for a while. I'll come back to what I was working on first eventually, but detours slow the process down immensely.

That's my problem too. I think it is a problem for many authors: you get an idea for one story and before long you get an idea for another and move on.

Not typically, but recently the ideas I've come up with are enticing enough that I'm staying to complete them. I also completed my NaNo last year, if that means anything.

I've only started three fanfics that aren't one-shots.
Rose and Fang i work on all the time, and i don't think i could leave it to die if i tried.
Then there was Save your Pity, which i had a great idea for, but my writing on it is terrable, and i need to redo it because not everything fit together really. I plan on eventually writing it.
And i just started Schooled, which only has one chapter, but i have plans for it and i'll work on it once i finish chapter fourteen of R&F.

I haven't really finished any of my fanfics yet, so i guess i wouldn't know, but i do work on them. R&F just takes presedent over the rest of the things i write.

One time I finished something that wasn't really all that good when I look at it. Most stories I want to start I stop doing because they mainly revolve around my "obsession of the week". I lose interest, simply put. The one thing I did finish was about Latias and Latios, and I've never lost interest in the former so I believe that pressed me on.

Maybe I should think up something new...

It's according to where I got the idea from, I guess. I get this great idea for an ending, and then lose interest as I try and write a story around the ending in my mind.

I try. D:

I have a fanfic, Legend's Rage, which was nearly done when I abandoned it. I'm rewriting it now, because the quality sucked. I've been on Chapter 2 for a hellish amount of time, because I'm padding out the chapters to make sure nothing happens too fast.

It'll take forever to finish, but I sort of like it now. XD I finish my RP-based oneshots, mostly because you know, they're oneshots. Easy to finish, with no messy chapters. x3

I've not finished anything yet but I always intend to finish it at some point. And at some point I will finish UNTITLED: AN EXERCISE IN DOMESTIC FANTASY, Spiral: Enter the Revolution, The Spectre's Tale and that other one I write.

I will.

Never.

Unless it is a short story.

I have learnt not to start until I am absolutely sure there is something to write.

It honestly depends on how long I've been developing it.

Like with my current fic, Series Finale. I planned something along the lines of a sequel to it for a while before I actually came up with the idea, and I kinda want to get to that. Not to mention that I like the plot.

Though sometimes I'll scrap things if they're written really badly, in my opinion.

Sometimes. I can finish comics and drawings and such, but writing is a completely different story. Unless it's a collab with someone or a school assingment I have little chance of, or even wanting to, finish it.

I used to never, ever finish what I wrote. In elementary school, I would write a prologue, or a chapter one, and if it was an especially amazing idea, a chapter two. But then I'd find something else or decide what I wrote wasn't worth it, and give up on it.

In middle school and the first year of high school, I did the same thing but also added something else: I would just write a random scene from a story, a scene that was most likely a daydream. These scenes never seemed to be connected much and nothing ever came from them. So, more unfinished stories, but this time they were unfinished more because I found something else that I'd rather work on.

Then came NaNoWriMo 2008. I was writing a majorly redone version of an incredibly rare finished story of mine. By the time NaNo was over, I hadn't made the goal, but what I did have was a story that seemed longer than everything I'd ever written previously combined. And I knew that I couldn't just set it aside anymore. I haven't actually written anything else since; except for a couple of one-shots and poems. Any time I feel like writing something else, I just jot down all of my ideas for it, and actually I think this will help me. Instead of just plunging into a cool new idea, I'm now taking the time to flesh out the plot and stuff before I begin, so once I start them, I think it's much more likely that I'll finish them. =D

Back
Top Bottom