• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

fugly crap

Phoenixsong

beep beep coming through
Pronoun
she/they/any
uh

new art thread

go ahead and comment or ignore it if you want

also sorry for dialup molestation but my last memories of the fanart forum are of people who are lazy bums and don't click on text links, so clearly I have to break people's modems if I want attention.

Me_and_My_Huge_Killer_Dinosaur_by_phoenixsong.png

Inspired by one of the new HGSS trailers. Don't feel like explaining so click here if you want to see what I wrote before. I will c/p the thingie from my dA homepage, though:

It was a beautiful day on Route 45. The weather was perfect, the sun was shining, the heady aroma of wildflowers and fresh-grown berries filled the air. Gold couldn't help himself. His calm, professional trainers' stride dissolved into a giddy hop-skip and he romped gleefully through the tall grass, giggling hysterically. The intermittent shaking of the ground behind him--whump-whump, whump-whump--proved that his good mood and spring fever were quite infectious...

King_of_the_Hill_by_phoenixsong.png

Entry to the second round of a fakemon contest on dA. My fake alternate Growlithe evo against someone else's Persian evo. Just found out I lost the round today, but that's okay because now it means I don't have to worry about drawing any more entries :I Click here for more info if you want it; too lazy to get the links to the design and the first round entry so go crawl around my dA and find them yourselves. I didn't draw the sunset, before you ask, it's a stock photo because I suck at sunsets.

I'm going to leave and forget about this thread now.

Last edited:
Re: this will probably be abandoned in short order

kratos aurion said:

THIS IS WIN MAN!
Lol. I lol'd out when I saw this. You used photoshop for this, right?
I wish I could create such things and that I had photoshop.

I would say, 9/10.
Funny, cute, and good quality, although they look a bit...drug obsessive...

Your art is awesome.

I really don't know what to say beyond that. The Tyranitar rivals Danni's fluffy one.

Here, have some fakemon. Or something.

mandragoon.png

asgolan.png

takhampos.png

May have posted the first two here before but I doubt it. Anyway. Final stage starters for one of my regions. Mandragoon (Grass/Flying), Asgolan (Fire/Psychic) and Takhampos (Water). Uh.

SHINY....

Your art is awesome. There's nothing else left to say, really. I love the shading on the Sceptile one~

Okay the rabbits make me go :3 and I love the lighting on the Sceptile image. I can't help but think that Takhampos would look better as more of a Hippocampus though.

*finds your dA account*

Thanks for the comments (what what people should comment? but gosh, Kratos, I thought you only posted because you like to hear yourself talk and look at your own pictures!). And thanks for the watch, ultraviolet. :3

Eh, I dunno. Takhampos might look okay aesthetically, but it would be too awkward on land if it had no hind legs. I'm not normally the sort of person who tells people "no your fake starters cannot be X because that breaks the rules and you are a blasphemer!", but seeing people who use fish-like water starters always seems a little iffy because they can't get around very well on land, which a versatile, easy-to-use starter seems like it should be able to do (ignoring Game Freak's brilliant idea that it is okay and in fact encouraged to use a Goldeen or a Tentacool in a freaking desert). It wouldn't be able to serve the purpose I set for it, you know?

Morty_by_phoenixsong.jpg

Best gym leader ever wearing the best scarf ever. Oh, and some creepy atmospheric ghosty stuff. I really don't care. I cannot get that bloody scarf out of my head. It's not even a big deal and yet I'm still freaking obsessed with that scarf aaaagh

Eh, I dunno. Takhampos might look okay aesthetically, but it would be too awkward on land if it had no hind legs. I'm not normally the sort of person who tells people "no your fake starters cannot be X because that breaks the rules and you are a blasphemer!", but seeing people who use fish-like water starters always seems a little iffy because they can't get around very well on land, which a versatile, easy-to-use starter seems like it should be able to do (ignoring Game Freak's brilliant idea that it is okay and in fact encouraged to use a Goldeen or a Tentacool in a freaking desert). It wouldn't be able to serve the purpose I set for it, you know?
This is something I hadn't thought of actually, and now that I think about it it makes much more sense.

What do you mean thank you? Thank you for posting so much great art in your gallery so I can look at it! @_@

On recent pic: I like how you draw hands, you seem to have a fairly good grip on anatomy. I love the ghosts in the background <3

Morty's hands are a fluke. They never normally turn out like that. Thank you, though.

um. Attempt at Sugimori-style people that I don't think went terribly well shading-wise and so will probably be redone. Dragon-type gym leader Tristan and Steel-type double gym leader mother-son team Mia and Nick. Yes Nick looks very young. He's a prodigy or something. I don't know.

tristan.png

mia.png

nick.png

...I actually haven't done a lot of art recently, but playing HeartGold has given me an amazing artbunny that will be incredibly time-consuming and hard so hopefully I will not chicken out before I get time to attempt it!

Last edited:
Oh god. This OWNS anything I've ever done. Seriously. I can do Sugimori shading, but I can't capture his drawing style, but you have. And need I mention you Tyranitar pic?

I need to keep my eye on this thread. Don't stop posting images, please! :D

Your stuff is pretty and I am too lazy for real comments. :( I don't think there's enough contrast on the shading of the trainers, though?

Heh, fugly crap? Frankly, that looks really great. Then again, artists are always hard on themselves, either publicaly or not (I should know, drawing too :P ). What makes us improve after all, right?

Tyranitar and Morty pics being my personnal favorites here. You just can't so no to some joyful and serene looking tyranitar frolicking around with its trainer. TYRANITAR!
As for the Morty pic, well, it's really everything here. The dark, gloomy, creepy ambiance, shading style fitting with the lining and coloring methods, the composition... and the hands. The hands. YOU CAN DRAW HANDS. That alone is a great achievement in my opinion. Although I do agree with surskitty that the character singles could use a bit more tad more relief. You got the shading down really nice, adding highlights will compliment it even more.
Great emulating on the original pokemon style too. Much of the charcater art seems to fit the instruction booklets of the game. XD

Yeah, I know the shading isn't high-contrast enough on the humans; it's that and several other fiddly little things, too. There are actually some very minor highlights there on at least one of them (Mia, I think?), but from what I've seen in Sugimori's recent human artwork there are few to no visible highlights in anything other than maybe the hair... eh. Not that I couldn't add them if I wanted to, but I was already annoyed with them and didn't feel like it.

And I don't *actually* think my work is fugly, no (not most of it). The title is more or less me going wank wank wank about how no one ever comments on my art and so that must mean it's "fugly"... or... I don't know. It's just childish whining and a lack of titular inspiration.

Thanks for the compliments, anyway. All of you. <3

I had a pretty okay day today. Finally managed to get the textbook I needed a week ago for an assignment that's due Thursday, played some HeartGold and rocked out to Ride the Sky on the lengthy train ride back from school. And then I finished coloring a lusty goat. Yes, today was a good day.

zantyroi.png

Grass/Fighting fakemon called Zantyroi, same region that Mandragoon and all them come from. I had various plans for satyr fakemon, goat fakemon and what's listed in my concept notes as "drunken wine grape fakemon" for a long time, but it was only yesterday when I was supposed to be doing something else that they all came together in a not-repulsive form and turned into Zantyroi--and its pre-evolution, Vitragoi, but I haven't finished that one yet. Basically it's this awesome bawdy satyr fakemon with a perpetual tipsy sway (yay for a Pokémon that actually has a reason to have Tangled Feet) and a ridiculous combination of moves like Sweet Kiss, Teeter Dance, Megahorn, Power Whip, Aromatherapy, Tickle, Follow Me and other things your average Fighting-type wouldn't be caught dead with. I looooove this guy. And he luvs you, bebeh. <3

Long story short: I'd like to introduce you to Zantyroi, and Zantyroi would like to introduce you to his Megahorn. And with base 120 attack, you can bet he can put a lot of force behind that Megahorn. A lot of force.

...okay I'm done being immature now. On to more srs bzns!

This am not pokeymans arts, oh goodness me. In addition to pokeymans fan regions I also make Fire Emblem fancrap. This is the first time the internets is ever hearing of my current supersecret FE fancrap project. You should be honored.

...okay, so. I made a world and a story and crap in the vein of the Fire Emblem games. If I had a work ethic I would turn this FE-inspired world into a fanfic or a comic or even a game, which would be really awesome. But I don't have a work ethic and have better things to be doing with my lack of a work ethic, so for now it's just some character/class ideas with a vague plot and half-finished world map and the painfully bad title "Vanguard Legacy". But I'm having fun with it. :< SO HERE HAVE TWO OF THE MAIN CHARACTERS or something argh.

vail1.png

This is Vail. Vail is the Lord. Actually he's the king of his country, but he's the "Lord" main character person in FE terminology. He has an axe because accurate weapons like swords and lances are for pansies, and Vail is not a pansy.

...okay, actually if you were to compare him to someone like Hector or Ike he is sort of a pansy (not as bad as Eliwood, though!), but it's not his fault. His parents died when he was young and so he had to become the king at age nine, which of course is much too young for him to be holding any real power and so his aunt and uncle ruled as regents. They sort of smothered him, though, and never really required him to learn all the important kingly stuff. Now that he's twenty and he's had full power for a few years, though, it's becoming pretty obvious that the poor kid has little drive to lead and isn't a terribly good king. :/ He means well, he just... sucks at it. And so he must learn omg character development bah.

His legs are messed up, I know, and his wrists are at awkward angles. The one holding the axe is particularly weird, although that was because I was careless when positioning him on the page and put him too close to the edge for his axe haft to be as long as I wanted it to. His arm would've been more natural if I'd had him choke up on the haft, but that's not how you hold an axe so. :/ Oh, well. Vail can just have fail arms for now.

icarus1.png

This is Icarus. Icarus is cute. The party runs into him and his caretaker, Thetis, a few chapters in, and then they tag along because it isn't Fire Emblem without the Obligatory Adorable Preteen. Nils, Nino, Lugh, Ewan, Rolf, Tiki/Chiki, you know, those people. Only Icarus isn't playable like they are and I think I have some other person as the playable Obligatory Adorable Preteen, don't remember. So he's just an Obligatory Adorable NPC I guess.

Icarus turned out a little better anatomically (his head looks like it's too small but it actually isn't; he just has really baggy clothes), but I wish I hadn't inked him in. As with my fakemon and Sugimori-style I wanted to try and emulate the recent Fire Emblem official art style (aside from the coloring job, which for the life of me I can't figure out damn you Photoshop), and that has clean lineart, but Icarus looks boring compared to Vail and I've decided that leaving it sketchy requires less effort and is nicer-looking. None of the others will be inked, and if I can find the paper I drew Icarus on I might re-trace him in just pencil and fix it.

Now, you will notice that neither Vail nor Icarus is shaded. That's because this is just quick concept work so the characters' nebulous designs don't keep changing in my head. I do actually have a shaded version of Vail's concept pic and you can see if you want, but it took a long time and I realized that I didn't want to have to do that for 50+ people. Sure, a real concept artist could do it without breaking a sweat, but I can only color with my laptop trackpad and doing a lot of detailed shading hurts. Plus I am lazy. So I hid the shading layers on the Vail pic up there, never bothered shading Icarus and won't bother with any of the others I manage to complete. Vail just gets to be special because he's the king.

If you want to know more about the FE thing you can ask, I guess, although don't expect to see any more character concepts anytime soon. I did these months ago and haven't really worked on the story/game/fancrapthing much since, and it'll be a while before I'm in the mood again.

Last edited:
all of your art is insanely awesome - I like the Tyranitar and Sceptile the most... I think your art looks better when you let the lines get rough and sketchy like that

I don't have much to say as usual, but I respect how you can replicate Sugimori's style so well, and all of your fakemon have interesting concepts and are drawn well as well. I think that people need to comment on art more, so I'm doing my bit. (Even though I think that sometimes it's not worth it) C:

LINOONE IS COMMENTING.

This is awesome. Yes. Awesome. People should comment more but they don't for some strange reason I don't get either yeah.

I think the problem is that your art is too awesome and have no mistakes that we can crit, so we're left commentless and awesome can only describe so much.

Yeah.

Back
Top Bottom