• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

I need recommendations

Zora of Termina

forget your high society
Pronoun
fucking guess
No idea if this belongs here...

So I'm getting a new DS next Wednesday because my mom owes me about $170.
It'll be a DS Lite, because I'd like to use the extra money to buy myself a new game since I only have 4.

Requirements:
-Must be a DS game
-Must not be some mindless thing, it must have some form of plot.

Not Required but Recommended:
- I'm not a huge fan of things that are cutesy
- I'm not that interested in Scribblenauts, don't even try.
- I'm not too big a fan of puzzle-y games. It can have puzzles in it but I'd rather it not be how you solve everything.

I have a few. :3

-Full Metal Alchemist: Duel Sympathy: It's actually very interesting, and the fights can be hard at times, plus it has a billion extra features (fortune teller, alarm clock, etc), and really good sprites. It's a side-scrolling fighter, though, and I dunno if you like that sort of thing. The cutscenes and voiceacting are pretty awesome too; they got the shows VAs to do it. I'm not sure if you like FMA as much as me though, which is part of the appeal. x3 and your partner can be kinda retarded at times but it's all good.

-Spore Creatures: This game is fun. Building creatures is really funny when you have enough parts and can start making things that look like other things (I made a Shaymin 8D). It can be frustrating collecting the parts though. And I suck at the dancing.

-Final Fantasy III: I can't really say much about this except that it's really good D; look up a review or something.

yeah my two cents x:

^I don't know about Final Fantasy III. I personally find it a bit boring and some reviews are actually quite negative on the 'unfair difficulty' of the game. It certainly isn't a bad game (and many reviews really just say it's bad when compared to the original) but I'm not sure if it really is good for a first game. I haven't played it, but judging by reviews and general opinion, Final Fantasy IV seems quite popular compared to III.

As for a recommendation, the three Castlevania entries, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia are quite good as games themselves. Dawn of Sorrow's a sequel, but it doesn't have much of a plot anyway, so it doesn't really matter, Portrait of Ruin's bogged down by childish presentation, so if those don't bother you, Order of Ecclesia is really the best (or at least, the 'roundest') of the three, if you don't mind its shortness.

I think that you should try Disgaea DS. Level grinding can be a pain but once you get past that there's the storyline, which is excellent, and the gratuitous abount of slapstick involved in it. It's a fun game that I'd recommend to mostly anyone.

Oh yeah, and bigass swords. :D

Only 4? I considered myself lucky to have 3. =O

So what do I own, then? You probably already have Platinum...

- Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon: It's a DS game and it has a rather engrossing plot. The gameplay isn't really that special if you've played tactical RPGs before. The game itself gets ridiculously challenging at parts, but it's fun most of the way through. I'm not really sure how else to sell it, to be honest, unless you already like Fire Emblem.

- Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (Dark Crusade in the superior European translation): Not that much to say here. It's a turn-based strategy game, it's got a good enough plot. It's never too hard, either, though beating all the missions with S rank can be. And then there's multiplayer, online and offline, both great ways to just kill time.

To be honest, your criterion were so vague I was sure how to make these games sound good besides general 'it's fun' sort of stuff. Or maybe it's just late and I should be studying.

Seconding Disgaea

Also, try Time Hollow. It's a visual novel with a very charming cast of characters, a nice twisty plot and lovely graphics and music :3
It's a bit easy and short but you can probably find it for cheap somewhere.

Um, Final Fantasy III I disagree with, if you want to get FF on a handheld get IV... it's much better.

I also disagree with Shadow Dragon, but that's only if you haven't played the other American Fire Emblems. (I.E. Blazing Swords, Sacred Stones, Path of Radiance, etc.)

I also disagree with Disgaea DS. I'd rather have it on the PS2, but that's just me. Plus, Disgaea just isn't that good. D:

What I recommend... hm, I say Hotel Dusk: Room 215 is a really good game, it's partly a puzzle game, but there are barely any you have to do in-game, and the ones you do aren't very hard at all. It's a mystery, centering around one hotel that you'll explore, sneak around for clues and items, interrogate people, and investigate things. You're an ex-detective, by the way. I have to concur; it's not the most interactive game. Sure, you get to pick your questions and answers in a lot of situations, and some will lead you to a ticket to a game over, but the majority of the conversations are already kinda picked out for you. The most interaction you'll get is roaming the place solving problems, not puzzles, and investigating what benefits yourself. Still, the mystery has audacious twist, very well-developed and lovable characters, and splendid dialogue, because it's so heavily focused on dialogue. No real replay value, but you're bound to love the first run through if you like a good mystery. One of my favorite games for the DS.

FFtacticsA2 is fun.... horrible story, horrible dialogue, and horrible character, but the it's fun if you like those sort of games. I dunno what else to say. :/

Luminous Arc is a game like Tactics... but with better story, dialogue, and character development. Still, it's not as fun gameplay wise; the AP system is something hard to best. But, if you're looking for a all-around good gridbased tactics game, this is a way to go.

And of course, there's always Chrono Trigger.

It would probably be helpful to mention which games you do have, so that we can avoid recommending something you already own.

I was going to recommend Hotel Dusk: Room 215, but, I just noticed I got beaten to it. Anyway, minor correction, your character is an ex-cop, not specifically an ex-detective, as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, if you like plots, you should get this. There are numerous puzzles, but they are far between and, most of the time, simple enough. As it was said, it focuses on dialogue and problem-solving. Usually, the latter is done through confronting people. The confrontations never fail to be awesome. Specially when you confront a drunk dude. And it does have a bit of replay value in that it's tempting to play a second time just to see the messages leading to game overs. Well, at least to me, it was.

Besides that, I don't know a lot of good DS games, and most are plotless/excuse plotted. I could recommend the Ace Attorney series, but something tells me you've already tried it.

Uh....I guess Kirby is out of the question? :(

Well, have you tried one of the Digimon World games? They're pretty good games, especially if you are a fan of monster collecting RPGs. And of course there's HeartGold and SoulSilver....if you are willing to import.

It would probably be helpful to mention which games you do have, so that we can avoid recommending something you already own.

I was going to recommend Hotel Dusk: Room 215, but, I just noticed I got beaten to it. Anyway, minor correction, your character is an ex-cop, not specifically an ex-detective, as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, if you like plots, you should get this. There are numerous puzzles, but they are far between and, most of the time, simple enough. As it was said, it focuses on dialogue and problem-solving. Usually, the latter is done through confronting people. The confrontations never fail to be awesome. Specially when you confront a drunk dude. And it does have a bit of replay value in that it's tempting to play a second time just to see the messages leading to game overs. Well, at least to me, it was.

Besides that, I don't know a lot of good DS games, and most are plotless/excuse plotted. I could recommend the Ace Attorney series, but something tells me you've already tried it.
I actually have not tried the Ace Attorney series and am very interested in it. Have been for a while but I could never find it.

Ah yes, I knew I forgot something.

GAMES I HAVE:
PMD2
Pokemon Pearl
Pokemon Platinum
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

GAMES I DO NOT HAVE:
Everything else

Because I normally only get series games because I can't go look for myself. Mom wouldn't know what to get otherwise.

Uh....I guess Kirby is out of the question? :(
Not necessarily. I've played Kirby games and enjoyed them before.

And of course there's HeartGold and SoulSilver....if you are willing to import.
Can't read Japanese, even if I want them really really bad. ><

Disgaea's best played on the PSP. Sound effects and music aren't bogged down by the DS' limitations, but then the PS2 version's also good to own, cause of Tsunami Bomb =3

They've been said before, but all three DS Castlevanias are very good choices. Though the best to own is Order of Ecclesia, due to the fact that the other two are too freakishly easy. That, and the fact that Eric Lecarde has been brought down to the likes of mere support character...

Also, check out Knights in the Nightmare, as well as both Luminous Arc games. Knights in the Nightmare's a little confusing, but it's got a solid story, and though it has a slight learning curve, and an even higher difficulty curve, it's loads of fun when you figure out what the heck you're doing, and it's got a fucking awesome soundtrack too. Bowser's Inside Story is actually really good too, so check that out, or check out Partners in Time if you haven't played that yet. Take a look at Devil Survivor as well. It doesn't have the extreme difficulty that Shin Megami Tensei is usually known for, but it's still a very good game.

You should also check out each of the Mega Man games. ZX and ZX Advent are good, and while Star Force, for the most part is lacking, Star Force 3 is very good. And Double Team DS is awesome. And while it's not as good as the Gamecube game, Custom Robo Arena is also worth looking at. And just for the sake of recommending another RPG, check out Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier. There aren't any giant robots, sadly, but it's still a solid game in its own right. Plus, it's got Reiji and Xiaomu! <3

And don't even bother with FFIII or IV. You're better off looking for the GBA versions of V and VI.

It's not out quite yet, but Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days looks rather promising.
It's quite good, but don't play it expecting actual plot for the first 100 days or so. Most of the cutscenes up until Day 120 or so are of the main characters eating ice cream and they still focus a bit too much on dessert after that.

I would recommend getting it, though.
-Final Fantasy III: I can't really say much about this except that it's really good D; look up a review or something.
No. No, it is not. I could go into detail here about why it is a terrible game but I'm not in the mood. Skip it. It is really awful.

FFIVDS is pretty good as far as gameplay goes but the script and voice acting are painful. Just ... as a warning.
I think that you should try Disgaea DS. Level grinding can be a pain but once you get past that there's the storyline, which is excellent, and the gratuitous abount of slapstick involved in it. It's a fun game that I'd recommend to mostly anyone.
Disgaea is awesome, though it also suffers from a terrible translation (someone was not so good at the Englishing) and the voice acting is atrocious.
Disgaea's best played on the PSP. Sound effects and music aren't bogged down by the DS' limitations
... which means that you get to hear the really awful voice acting all of the time, instead of just between chapters. I would count that a downside.
And don't even bother with FFIII or IV. You're better off looking for the GBA versions of V and VI.
This is very true.

Wow, I'm actually inb4 The World Ends With You? No, really, buy TWEWY. It's awesome.

If you're going to get any FF game for the DS, I'd say go for FFTA2. And if you like that style of gameplay, you could probably look into Disgaea as well.

If you are going to look at III vs IV though, go for IV. IIIDS's plot is pretty clichéd (even for an FF game) and the characters have really bland personalities. The gameplay is addictive and they did a good job of making the characters cute (they wave at you!) but otherwise it's pretty meh.

If you ever find a game in the Ace Attorney series, do buy it. Except for the last case and the last game in the series, you won't be doing any puzzles; even in those, you won't be doing them a lot. The game is pretty mcuh 50% plot, 50% using your sense of logic to proceed. After all, it is a game about lawyers, so, often, you'll need to be breaking testimonies and proving points. And sometimes, it's TOUGH. But worth it.

... which means that you get to hear the really awful voice acting all of the time, instead of just between chapters. I would count that a downside.This is very true.

Depends on whether you would play with the Japanese voices or not =/ But it's at least bearable in that aspect. You haven't heard awful until you've heard Chaos Wars.

Amen, TWEWY and Ace attorney series, Disgaea too. Personally I have an R4;it doesn't work on DSi, but your getting a lite, and it works on those. (R4 allows you to use a micro-SD card to download games off Limewire and other things of that nature.)

Back
Top Bottom