• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Cubaser's Fakemon And Sprites

Cubaser

Here are a few sprites I've been doing recently. Some are pokemon, some are...Other things..

Fakemon

80853935.gif
->
40579784.gif

They're both grass-type, but I'm not sure what they're names should be. I'm thinking the second one should be dark type, though.

11228801.gif

Another grass type! This time it's a starter pokemon. I always thought a good grass starter would be a horse. I'll make the evolutions later, maybe.

92352259.gif

This guy's the second evolution in the fire starter line. The first was a little dodo looking guy who'd be named Peoc, this is a peacock thing and the last one would be bigger with a big fire plume on its head and bigger tail feathers.

57924536.gif

This is my favorite. It's a water/steel, and might have a prevo. If so, the prevo would be a little dolphin with a little stub for a tail. The stub would be steel.

That's all for today! I'll upload some other stuff later. See ya, and please critique!​

They're cute, if anything.
The anatomy is off but that's not something I can help you with, being terrible at animal anatomy myself. (Thus why I draw Pokemon like Banette and Tangrowth. :P ). Ask someone else for help on that.
The shading is really flat. An easy remedy to this is to imagine everything as a 3D object - not just as a sprite in Paint - and shade accordingly.
Example:
e7aur4.png

What I changed-
The outlines: Just a couple fixes where it was jagged.
The colors: What I did (making the darker green blue and the lighter green yellow) is a pixelart technique called 'hueshifting' - changing the color of a shade/highlight to make it contrast more. It's used to a lesser degree in Pokemon sprites, but it's still something good to remember.
The shading - I made it look more round. The pose (side-view = no-no) made the sprite hard to shade, so I tried. My shading isn't exactly Pokemon-style btw.
The blade - I made the metal look more flat by adding contrasting areas of shine and darkness, but you had the right idea when you added a highlight to the tips. Metal shading contrasts a lot, too!

I like your designs, you have a great imagination. Are these your first sprites? If so, keep up the good work, scratching is difficult for beginners :)

Thanks! I've been spriting for a while, and I see what you mean in flatness. I've been trying to fix that for a bit, and now I know where to start, thanks. :) It wasn't really supposed to be a blade as much as a shield, but that's really cool what you did with the metal and the shading in general. Thanks again, that means a lot! :)

ifsev6.jpg

Here's another one! The image hosting thing that I usually use to make stuff transparent has failed me, so it won't be transparent for now. But this guy's a little purple wormy, I don't think he'll evolve. And he looks way too non-vicious to be poison type, so normal it is. :) I tried to make him more 3D, hope it worked!

EDIT: Come on guys, post! : D

Last edited:
It's JPGed, for one. I knbow people on forums who create JPEG alert banners... I should make one myself.

For one, the design isn't that great. Platypuses have webbed feet, iirc. The design is also somewhat bland.

The shading is flat at some points in the sprite. When spriting, it helps tro create a circle to represent your lightsource, then shade away with that as a reference.

It's better than a lot of fakemon I've seen, though. Keep working at it.

Thanks! I totally saved it as PNG, tinypic was being stupid. it still is. Yeah, it is kinda bland, I think I'll add more stuff to it to look more..pokemonish. Thanks for the advice!

Tinypic saves photos as JPG, but they still show up as if they were PNG. (I use Tinypic for all my sprites, haven't run into that problem once.)

25unwc6.jpg

I made a new guy, Platt. The evolution might be Apuzz, I'm not sure. And guys, post!

Hes cute but needs better shading on its back, and it is jpg... +the tail dhould be a little thinner where it connects, cause its a little weird...

Back
Top Bottom