• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

TCoD WSC: Idea Thread

Aisling

Super Moderator
tcodwsctop.png

Yeah... I had to go out on a limb for this week's theme. D: Plus I feel guilty coming up with the last two themes since I plan on entering as many weeks as I can, so...

Idea thread! Go! Brainstorm!
I'll keep a list of approved ideas in this first post so I don't have to go fishing through this thread and everything.

Approved Ideas:
  • New banner every fifteen weeks
  • Holiday Themes!
  • Themes based on Soon-to-be-/Just-released Games
  • Scratch Sprites with Set/Restricted Palettes
  • Moar trainer-sprite-centric themes
  • TCG Pixel Overs
  • Fourth stage evos
  • Baby forms of Pokemon which have none
  • Splices of particular Pokemon, selected by a random generator
  • Fakemon with few specified required features

Last edited:
Here's two suggestions off the bat.

-Seasonal events, such as haloween, christmas and easter aught to have contests.
-Contests relating to upcoming/released games (such as the recent hgss one)

Alrighty! Those'll be special ones. Since holidays happen a lot and new games get released often, too. :V

Maybe we could have some kind of Mystery Dungeon-esque week. Isn't there a new Mystery Dungeon in the works?

Please include a more challenging week (EG scratch sprite with palette restrictions, I'd like that one). I haven't been entering since all the weeks would have been things I'd be able to sprite with my hands tied behind my back and my face smashing the keyboard. P:

Like, palette restriction as in "You can only use this palette", or "You can only have this many colors in your palette"? Or both?

I do feel you there though. We did have a scratch week a couple weeks ago (well, weeks as in WSCs, it's been way longer than a couple of literal weeks :V) but there weren't any palette restrictions on it.

Pixel-Overs from a certain Booster Packs? :P
Trainer Sprites Splices / Scratch Edits
Trainer Card with Scratch/Edited Trainer and six spliced Pokemon or of the such.

;D

Tiffano: Oh yes, more trainer stuff for sure! List'd

Starly: That sounds interesting. There have been alternate evo weeks before, but I don't think there's ever been a fourth stage week. Those could come out pretty hardcore! List'd

Tiffano: Oh yes, more trainer stuff for sure! List'd

Starly: That sounds interesting. There have been alternate evo weeks before, but I don't think there's ever been a fourth stage week. Those could come out pretty hardcore! List'd

yeah!

How about a splice, but you don't get to choose on you're own what you do. This could be achieved by either using the honor system with the random sprite generator, or whoever is running that week's contest could hand out who is doing what, or everyone who wanted to participate would post what the person after them was supposed to do, then edit their post with their sprite.

Alternatively, to go along with the fourth stage, which would technically be third stage since baby pokemon are not classed as a numbered stage, there could be a baby evo week, where you have to scratch a baby pre-evo for a pokemon without one.

EDIT: More ideas~

There could be a contest for scratching/editing the sprites to look like they're in the middle of pulling off a move, as well as a contest for reposes. Instead of a free-for-all repose week, have someone decide on one pokemon and everyone has to do that one pokemon, or have all reposes sitting down, ect.

Last edited:
I would do fakemon that leave a lot up to teh imagination; for example, to quote Xia:

Sprite a blue Pokemon with a paper bag on its head and antennae.

Something like that.

- Splice all the pokemon in an evolutionary line.

Aside from the over cliche'd and also kind of difficult Eeveelutions :P

I was thinking "take two Pokemon, make fake evolutions for them, and splice" or something like that. Difficult, but would be fun. Maybe.

What do you guys think of having a banner week every so often? Kinda considering a name change from "contest" to "challenge" If so, how many weeks do you think between each? 15? 20? That way it's a little less stagnant. Maybe could even mark certain "eras" of the WSC?

Haha, I was just thinking about it upon looking at the banner.
That would be nice, to get away from the spriting every once in a whlie. Maybe we could have themes of the banner with certain pictures or elements required? :o Or the focus upon a certain Pokemon or type of Pokemon, and maybe every so often, a free for all. x]

How about making a Pokémon splice completely by scratch? I think it'd allow for more originality in the splices and push improvement.

A sprite of a inanimate object would be neat, too. Or if there would be a PC Box Wallpaper contest would be a bit different from the norm.

I'd love to see Pokémon star costellations, too, like the ones from the Jirachi movie ending. If it wouldn't be too troublesome for the spriters. It's probably wishful thinking on my part.

Maybe Pokemon that are supposed to resemble people? Like, say, "Edit a Pokemon so it looks like Barack Obama"? Dunno.

Mix two sprites, then devamp them?

Oh, I was reading through the rules earlier since I was bored, and I realized we haven't had any animated sprites yet! :O And maybe it's due to the fact that some people can't animate the sprites because of lack of programming, but maybe we should have scratched frames, kind of like in Crystal? :]

Back
Top Bottom