• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

modern warefare 2 or world at war?

ijy

hial kaiba!!
For Christmas I am getting a mac and I am going to duel boot with windows 7 so I can play pc games. now I was wondering which should I get; world at war or modern warfare?

I am going to type about this -so hard-

Okay first you need a brief history lesson on the CoD series. Call of Duty 1 and 2 were developed by Infinity Ward and published by Activision to high critical acclaim, toppling the stranglehold the Medal of Honor series held on the WW2 scene and paving the way for games like brothers in arms to try to cash in on America's last successful war. Anyways, after 2, Infinity Ward was like "hey y'know we'd like to stop the world war 2 thing", but their publishers weren't keen on the idea of creativity. So what they did was basically take the intellectual property from the original developers and task a different development house, Treyarch, with the task of creating another WW2 game. This would be called Call of Duty 3, and it was released only on consoles and it -sucked-.

So then Infinity Ward came back with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. Taking their experience in making excellent scripted scenes that made the player feel as if they were part of a real combat scene, Infinity Ward guided us through a story set in a fictional conflict involving Russians with nukes and power-hungry Middle Eastern dictatorships. The game was lauded by critics for re-inventing the series and the multiplayer scene still has a healthy playerbase to this day. Interesting sidenote, during development, the executable file for Modern Warfare was titled CoD3.exe, in case you were curious as to Infinity Ward's stance on the issue.

So, how did Activision respond to Modern Warfare being the largest commercially and critically successful game of the series? They had Treyarch make another World War 2 game. You can't make this kind of stupidity up, people. Call of Duty: World at War uses the same engine that Modern Warfare does, features yet another trip through WW2 battlefields, and a multiplayer that they inexplicably managed to ruin. The only spark of creativity is the Nazi Zombies gamemode, which pits a group of players against an unceasing horde of undead that inevitably become so strong and so numerous that the survivors are overwhelmed.

Modern Warfare 2, on the other hand, is still developed by the original creators of the series, Infinity Ward, and by all accounts promises to deliver an even more impressive experience than the first Modern Warfare did. A great deal of care is being put into introducing new gameplay elements on the multiplayer front while preserving what made the original so great, so it should be interesting to see what new perks and weapons will be made available to players.

So, to summarize, a purchase of Call of Duty: World at War would not only get you an inferior game, but it would send a message to Activision that you're okay with them overseeing the bastardization of the IP of others, and the further over-representation of World War 2 in the gaming market.

Buy Modern Warfare 2 when it comes out. Hell, buy the first one if you can get a deal somewhere. Encourage creativity in the gaming industry with your money.

yes but one thing Im worried about is online moding because suposedly the pc online play actually allows it.

Back
Top Bottom