• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

D/P/Pt I'm making a non-OU team. Hell must've frozen.

J.T.

wat
Okay, I was originally going to make an Uber team, until I realized that few people actually battle Ubers. Which sucks, because I wanted to abuse my new Timid Specs Kyogre.

However, a few more people play UU, so I figured why not. I decided to go for a kind of team that's about as expected as the Spanish Inquisition - a Sunny Day team. Well, I think they're relatively uncommon, I've never faced off against one. So here's my attempt at one. I haven't actually started it quite yet, but here's what it'll look like in the end.

Lead

Ambipom
Ambipom @ Heat Rock
Technician / Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 HP
- Fake Out
- Taunt
- Sunny Day
- U-turn

The plan with this Ambipom set is to Fake Out, Taunt possible Stealth Rock users to save its teammates' asses, Sunny Day to get the fun going, and then getting the hell out through any means necessary. As such there's not a lot of room for attacks that aren't Fake Out and U-turn. I was a little disappointed that Electrode can't learn Sunny Day, because I would have gone with him in a heartbeat for this, but Ambipom works too. His speed is high enough to use for this purpose, and the only faster UU Sunny Day user is Swellow, who doesn't learn Taunt or Fake Out. Thankfully, the only Stealth Rock user in UU that's faster than Ambipom is Dugtrio, and seriously, who's going to use that as a SR lead? Taunt is seriously important on my lead set to defend my team, particularly...

Scarf Sweeper

Typhlosion
Typhlosion @ Choice Scarf
Blaze / Modest
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 6 HP
- Eruption
- Fire Blast / Overheat
- Solarbeam
- Focus Blast

As my first ever level 100 Pokemon and my starter for my favorite Pokemon game to date (Silver), Typhlosion was the first thing I turned to as a UU Pokemon that I'd actually enjoy using. At full health and with STAB factored in, Eruption has a massive base 225 power coming off a respectable positive base 109 SpA, which, under ideal conditions, is followed up by a Sunny Day boost for insane power. Fire Blast would be used for when damage is unavoidable and Eruption loses too much power to be usable. In dire conditions, Fire Blast would get further boosted by Blaze in addition to Sunny Day, again making an incredibly powerful attack. Solarbeam is a good, powerful Grass move with no delay in sunlight. Focus Blast... well, come on, you know how much I hate it. If I get lucky with a good Hidden Power type (what would be a good one, for that matter? Ice? Water?), then I'll use that instead. Overheat could go over Fire Blast because of the amount of switching Typhlosion will probably have to go through, but I don't know which is more favorable.

Special Sweeper

Exeggutor
Exeggutor @ ... little help here?
Chlorophyll / Modest OR Rash
EVs if Modest: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 6 HP
EVs if Rash: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
- Sunny Day
- Sleep Power
- Explosion / HP Fire
- Solarbeam

Exeggutor has taken a major fall from grace since RBY, but it's still usable on my team. Chlorophyll is the big deal here. The speed boost makes it more than capable of sweeping, and with the instantaneous damage from Solarbeam and boost to HP Fire (if I get lucky with it), it can pull off a lot of damage quickly. If Ambipom is dead, and that's probably going to happen, then we have Exeggutor to set up Sunny Day again. I'm still not sure what item I should give him, though.

Some Sort of Tank

Arcanine
Arcanine @ Leftovers
Intimidate / Bold
EVs: 240 HP / 168 Def / 28 SpA / 72 Spe
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar
- Flamethrower
- ... no clue.

Arcanine has Intimidate and Will-O-Wisp to essentially neuter physical threats and opposing tanks. Roar is used to, obviously, get potentially dangerous threats out of the way and keep opponents from setting up. Flamethrower gets boosted power in Sunny Day, but it's not nearly as important as it would be on Typhlosion or Exeggutor, who you could consider the ringleaders of this team. I don't know what to use for the final slot, though, and I need tips for that.

The Only Physical Sweeper I Have

Absol
Absol @ Life Orb
Super Luck / Adamant
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Psycho Cut / Night Slash

I tried an Absol before, but it was completely overshadowed by my Scizor. I'm hoping it'll fare better in UU. Swords Dance boosts that already huge Attack, and Sucker Punch tops even Scizor's Bullet Punch in power, making for a devastating sweep. If they decide not to attack and foil Sucker Punch, I can hit them with Psycho Cut (to avoid dual STABs and give a little better coverage) or Night Slash (for higher power) to put them in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, especially with the already-boosted critical hit rate increased even more due to Super Luck. Superpower takes down Chansey, who'd otherwise pretty much wall my team full stop, and I can imagine it overpowering Steelix pretty easily too.

Because I Don't Have Enough Special Sweepers

Alakazam
Alakazam @ Choice Specs OR Life Orb
Synchronize / Timid
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball / a good HP type hopefully
- Focus Blast (nuuuuuuuu)
- Trick (if Choice Specs) / whatever I didn't use for the 2nd slot (if Life Orb)

With Alakazam's recent drop to UU, I have a bit more potential for my team, and just one more thing that shits on physical walls the world over. Psychic provides good STAB but terrible coverage, Shadow Ball and Focus Blast give perfect coverage (despite my absolute hatred of Focus Blast), and Trick can mess with walls and physical attackers (because Arcanine doesn't do that enough, right?). Choice Specs basically make him a god in terms of power, and anything that's not Chansey better watch the hell out. What's important about Alakazam and Absol (and Arcanine, to some extent) is that they don't rely on Sunny Day to use their full potential. So when Ambipom and Exeggutor are dead, they're still working at full power.

Okay, that was painfully long. Now taking bets on how many people will actually read this whole thing all the way through, I'm betting on maybe one. I still need some tips for my team, though - for example, will my team work with only one bulky attacker, do I need more physical attackers, something like that. I don't know much about UU, so I need help.

I'm not going to rate your team because I'm not very good at UU either but I do know that Arcanine gets Morning Sun (as an egg move I believe) from HG and SS. That could go in the fourth slot.

Because I Don't Have Enough Special Sweepers

Alakazam
Alakazam @ Choice Specs OR Life Orb
Synchronize / Timid
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball / a good HP type hopefully
- Focus Blast (nuuuuuuuu)
- Trick (if Choice Specs) / whatever I didn't use for the 2nd slot (if Life Orb)

With Alakazam's recent drop to UU, I have a bit more potential for my team, and just one more thing that shits on physical walls the world over. Psychic provides good STAB but terrible coverage, Shadow Ball and Focus Blast give perfect coverage (despite my absolute hatred of Focus Blast), and Trick can mess with walls and physical attackers (because Arcanine doesn't do that enough, right?). Choice Specs basically make him a god in terms of power, and anything that's not Chansey better watch the hell out. What's important about Alakazam and Absol (and Arcanine, to some extent) is that they don't rely on Sunny Day to use their full potential. So when Ambipom and Exeggutor are dead, they're still working at full power.
[/CENTER]

Im not much of an expert, but should you choose choice specs, the best would be Shadow Ball-Psychic-Focus Blast-Trick, which is quite obvious(am I not the only one to use competitive fighting advices?).

If you go with Life orb, here's a good combination:
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

Psychic(you mentioned all of them)
Recover is Alakazam's only recovery and the way to go.

No more advice because I suck I can't give any better/more advice.

Back
Top Bottom