• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

PokéPark: Pikachu's Great Adventure

FireChao

Male; call me "she" anyway
PokéPark: Pikachu's Great Adventure

screenshot_24684.jpg

a screen from PokéPark: Pikachu's Great Adventure, the new Pokémon Wii game that's coming out in Japan before Christmas. It may not come out here...

screenshot_24688.jpg

Sorry, but I don't know much more about it. Thoughts?

Re: PokéPark: Pikachu's Great Adventure

erm... there are some more screens if anyone cares...

screenshot_24986.jpg

screenshot_24987.jpg

screenshot_24982.jpg

screenshot_24977.jpg

...I'm gonna go cry.

I swear, Pikachu is the biggest whore in all of Pokémon, but I still like it a bit, thought.

This looks kinda fun, I guess.

I swear, Pikachu is the biggest whore in all of Pokémon, but I still like it a bit, thought.

Yeah, but he's one of those endearing, lovable whores who does it to pay for college or something. :)

The graphics are nice, everyone's on model. Now, if they could just apply this to an MMO...

Pokémon designs will always look awful in 3D (or at least the style of 3D that Nintendo insists on making all the 3D Pokémon games with), but that Slowpoke in the first screenshot doesn't look too bad.

This actually looks kinda neat, despite the focus on the annoying yellow rat. Of course, it looks like there might be other Pokémon playable, unless that Empoleon screenshot is just a mini-game...

I think it is - as far as I can tell you play as pikachu when adventuring, then the character may change in the mini-games, which the game is mainly composed of.

Welcome to reality, El garbanzo. It's a minigame. In this game, the yellow Rat is the one and only playable character outside of minigames.

I won't play this(if it will come out at all) if you can't evolve, switch characters or anything of this sort.

I don't get why everyone hates Pikachu- he's always seemed like a decent character and pokémon overall.

On a more topic-related note, the graphics on the Pikachu are pretty good.

It's a spin-off it doesn't have to allow for that

Pokemon Snap, for example, was utterly awesome without you being able to have any pokemon at all

...although, to be honest, I'd be very surprised if the came anywhere near the awesomeness of pokemon snap.

I would be more interested if this were known to have some semblance of an interesting plot and not just a bunch of "Hey! Look! 3D!" minigames.

Pokémon designs will always look awful in 3D (or at least the style of 3D that Nintendo insists on making all the 3D Pokémon games with)
Why do you think so? The models and movements can be off, sure, but I don't see what's wrong with the style of 3D. Are you just one of those pining for cel-shading? Because I've never gotten the big fuss about cel-shading. 3D is just not very good at looking 2D. :/

NOOOOO!!!! WHY GAMEFREAK? WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?!

On a less dramatic note its pokemon style minigame madness!
2 changes and ill play it....

1. Character swapping! Please, I dont hate pika but in minigames i wanna play as a buncha characters!

2. 2 words: Multiplayer Orientation, a game to play in a group!

Is that too much to ask for?

Last edited:

I know the first one happens, and I think it would stupid of them not to incorporate multiplayer...

...but you never know...

The graphics are Wii graphics. As in, not that good. They look exactly like Colosseum graphics, except maybe a little bit brighter.

And I wish they'd start putting at least a semblance of plot into their games again. Like, I think the game could be cool if it was an action-adventure like Zelda, with less of a focus on minigames and more on getting Pokemon to join you as playable characters, and being able to switch between them on the go in order to solve puzzles.

...But, no. It's a minigame-game (not even a party game, by the looks of it), where you play as Pikachu in the overworld. *sigh* I find it rather disappointing. Either Pokemon's getting distinctly lighter and softer or I'm just getting older. Y'know, Disney (which is similarly primarily for kids) isn't afraid to use their characters in interesting situation, and make games targeted at an older audience, like Kingdom Hearts or Epic Mickey. C'mon, Gamefreak, throw us a bone here. D:

And I wish they'd start putting at least a semblance of plot into their games again.
Either Pokemon's getting distinctly lighter and softer or I'm just getting older.
...how on earth did the Pokémon games have more plot before? The only actually plot-oriented Pokémon games are the relatively recent Ranger and Mystery Dungeon spin-offs and the slightly less relatively recent Colosseum and XD games. The main series, too, has only been moving towards more plot as the series has gone on.

This is probably a silly excuse for a bunch of minigames, not supposed to be anything else. In which case, let it be that. Nobody's forcing you to buy it if you're not interested in that sort of thing. :/

Also, what is with everybody blaming Game Freak for the spin-off games? They make the Pokémon and the main series. The spin-offs are all developed by different companies and I doubt Game Freak come anywhere near them beyond possibly agreeing to the other company's use of the Pokémon concept and cooperating on linkage with the main series for those games where that is supposed to be possible.

I'd be all for a somewhat darker and edgier Pokémon game with more plot, but that doesn't make it any less silly to complain that this particular game is not.

Why do you think so? The models and movements can be off, sure, but I don't see what's wrong with the style of 3D. Are you just one of those pining for cel-shading? Because I've never gotten the big fuss about cel-shading. 3D is just not very good at looking 2D. :/

I've disliked "regular 3D" since before I knew cel-shading even existed. Though cel-shading probably would look better for a 3D Pokémon game, I'd much rather just have some well-drawn 2D.

As for why I don't like it, I really can't put my finger on any specific reason. There's just something about this style of 3D graphics in video games that I don't really like.
And Pokémon designs have never really translated very well from 2D to 3D, though I'll admit they look better now than they did in the N64 Stadium games. But they haven't really improved as much as, say, Mario. Mario actually looks pretty good in Brawl and Galaxy, compared to how he looked way back in Super Mario 64... heck, even Mario in the SM64 DS remake looks better than he did in the original game, and that's not even on a system that does 3D well. But in the Wii Pokémon games, a lot of the Pokémon still look bad.

Of course, part of it might just be laziness on the part of the people making these games--Ranger and Mystery Dungeon get their own completely new graphics and look really good, but the 3D spinoffs just keep borrowing and slightly touching-up the same 3D Pokémon that the Stadium/Collosseum/etc. games used. Maybe if they trashed the old 3D models and made completely new ones, it might be possible to make a decent-looking Pokémon game in 3D.

I think the biggest problem with the way they currently handle 3D Pokémon is that they make all of them look like they're made of modelling clay.

Is it that hard to make a leaf look like a leaf?

screenshot_24977.jpg

As hard as it is to make a trunk look like a trunk and a pseudo-banana look like a pseudo-banana.

What's missing here is texture. Why does Mario look so good in Brawl? One of the reasons is that his overalls have the texture of jeans, instead of just being solid blue with shading that makes it look like plastic.

Of course, making dedicated 3D designs for Pokémon is asking a lot. And it will be for as long as they insist on making games that feature most/all Pokémon. Not that this is really bad, but it tends to cripple the dedication each specific species get. Of course, in the early days, Pokémon's slogan was "Gotta Catch 'Em All", so, there's a reason why the tendency is to frown upon limiting the amount of featured species.

Mm, the thing about texturing Pokémon is that it isn't just a 3D problem. All portrayals of Pokémon more or less look like modeling clay, from the Sugimori art to the sprites to the 3D models. I don't know about you, but I'd think Pikachu would look downright odd if it were textured to look furry. And Tropius's neck textured to look like a trunk? What? The neck is flexible, unlike a tree trunk; it could not possibly look good. Pokémon aren't really meant to be realistically textured.

I do agree that I generally prefer 2D graphics over 3D ones, but there would be absolutely no way to make a full 2D Pokémon game with all the Pokémon in it and all of them looking properly animated - it would simply take too long to draw all the necessary sprites.

They don't have that much texture, but please, the 3D models go to audacious levels.

The 2D Tropius sprites have leaves that actually look like leaves, for example.

I have a habit to avoid any Pokemon game not part of the main series, or part of the Stadium-esque games (LOVE Pokemon Snap though!), so I probably won't get this. The screen shots are nice, though. Really like the one with Glalie for some reason.

On another note, WHERE'S MY POKEMON MMO, GAMEFREAK?

Back
Top Bottom