• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

IMPORTANT: Roleplaying Forum Guidelines

surskitty

「にがいのは いやだ」って…
Pronoun
they
Vocabulary
Dungeon Master (DM) - whoever is in charge of the roleplay, typically the thread creator. You can have multiple DMs, but it's not that likely. Some threads are run predominantly by consensus: however, the thread creator can still seize control if they so desire.
Mary Sue - This. Even more irritating in roleplay than fanfic!

Common Things to Not Do
Character Control
- Ignoring DM-driven roleplays (I'll get to them in a moment), the only person who can decide what happens to your character is you. Character control is when someone is insisting that things go the way they want them to without the player's input.
- Do note that while non-player-characters are frequently allowed to be played by anyone, plot-important NPCs should be left to whoever is running the show.
- If your character has abilities relating to other people, do confer with the other player before doing anything. If you play a telepath, ask them what your character would know of their thoughts.

Godmoding
- Godmoding is when a character is ridiculously overpowered beyond where said character should be. Do not give your character new abilities on the fly; do not refuse to take a hit ever. If a nuke went off right next to your character, your character would not be able to dodge it without teleportation or something.

Railroading
- ... is when the plot of a roleplay veers far off from where the DM intended. If the DM happens to be a good one, then it will probably be possible to get it back on-track somehow, or at least find an alternate plotline. However, for the most part, people are going to have trouble with that. As such, try not to kill off plot-important NPCs.
- Don't kill Gandalf.
- In the event that you like posting a lot and everyone else has not responded in the past five minutes, please refrain from posting repeatedly with one of your friends. It's rude.

Remember the IC/OOC Barrier
- What you know, your character does not necessarily know. Even though you know there's a magical mystical bazooka in the possession of a cow at the end of the dungeon, your character does not necessarily know this and should not act on it.
- Things done to your character are likely not directed at you. If my character kicks yours in the face, it does not mean that I want to kick you in the face.
- Just because you dislike someone does not mean your character dislikes theirs. If you are interested in kicking someone in the face, please do not have your character kick theirs simply because of that.

On Running Roleplays
- It is on you to deal with anyone being particularly dumb about roleplaying etiquette. Remember that you can kick people out if you so desire, and if someone refuses to listen after being reprimanded, then feel free to hit the report button and complain. However, it is not that likely that any given moderator will check your thread and help you run it. It is your sandbox.
- Just because you run your roleplay does not mean that it's okay to completely ignore things. Repeated failures to do a mediocre job (at least) of running a roleplay may mean that you get asked to stop starting new ones.
- If a couple of the recent RPs are run entirely by you, then you might not want to make more. Please don't flood the board. If there's no interest in a given RP, it might not be because people do not like the premise: it can easily be because people don't like you.
- Do remember that nothing is forcing you to play in a particular sandbox. However, do not completely ignore someone in a thread just because you don't like them.
- Have an expectation for writing quality in mind. You might want to convey to people just what type of writing you're expecting.

The Really Freaking Obvious
- Okay, so you might be a really awful roleplayer and writer in general. That's completely okay! Everyone sucked at some point or another and you're probably going to improve at least a bit eventually. HOWEVER! Do everyone a favour and at least try not to suck. Decent spelling and grammar is expected. Understanding how to punctuate your sentences at least mostly correctly is expected and you should DO THIS. No, really! People are more likely to not get pissed off at you if your writing sucks but you're obviously trying to put some effort into it. People do not tend to want to play with people whose playing styles really irritate them, but the difference in leeway between "Foo jumped up and down, then used Bar. 'I hate everything,' Foo said." and "foo jumped up and down then used bar. i hate everything foo said" is huge.
- Anything in this section should not need to be stated but I am stating it anyway because apparently some people do not get it.

Last edited:
Correction: Railroading is what happens when a DM insists that a roleplay must go a certain way. Rather than exploring an unplanned storyline, the DM simply forces the characters to follow the script with badly-concealed plot devices. Such plot devices are delivered in a way that usually crushes all possibility of the characters resisting the plot.

Would I be allowed to double post in my rp, so that I can get it started, as the first rp post has yet to be made?

*Figures this would be the best place to ask*

Added some things that are really fucking obvious. Some people apparently need to hear it, though.

Yes, finally a website where people are expected to know how to type for roleplaying.
XD
I belonged to a really, really, crappy website called Neopets.
It was sad that people could hardly type, and they claimed to be thirteen or older.
XD
Some of them used the excuse of being twelve.
But even I know that a twelve year old is capable of typing correctly.​

Last edited:
Question...

If an RPG that you made died, and it was moderately popular... Can you repost it? Because I have this dead RPG that was a hot topic, and I think some of the members that were in it would like to see it back.=/

You could, I guess, but it'd be cleaner to just go bump it or something. If it's actually getting rez'd rather than necromanced, then I don't think anyone would mind.

I meant more of "if it is just going to die again immediately, then don't bother."

Yes, finally a website where people are expected to know how to type for roleplaying.
XD
I belonged to a really, really, crappy website called Neopets.
It was sad that people could hardly type, and they claimed to be thirteen or older.
XD
Some of them used the excuse of being twelve.
But even I know that a twelve year old is capable of typing correctly.​

Neopets moves really fast, so maybe they can't type fast enough to be correct.

Not really, but it's rude to either try taking the plot in your own direction or for the DM to just get up and leave. :/

Sort it out amongst yourselves, I guess.

So, you're allowed to make more than one RP, right? As long as you're not overflowing the whole place. I already made one, and I had another idea and just wanted to make sure having more than one RP was okay. :sweatdrop:

Lovely! A forum where people are expected to RP, if not well, than with good grammar and spelling. Just thought I'd ask a quick question here:
Can more than one person be in charge of an RP officially, or is it and unofficial thing?

Back
Top Bottom