• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

BtVS Club

Dannichu

Tragically unbeyachted.
THE BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER CLUB

angel1.png
anya2.jpg
buffy7.png
tara13.jpg
giles6.png
spikejoyce.png
will11.png
xander1.gif
riley1.jpg
dawn2.png

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you're here because you're bored/wondering what "BtVS" stands for, you need to do the following things: 1) Go and watch some episodes of Buffy. 2) Revel in their brilliance. 3) Come back and post about how much you love it. I'm serious. Somewhere between five and seven TCoDers can't be wrong!

Look at me! I made a club! Pretty much to stop myself from spamming up the 'Shipping Club any further. Isn't it pretty?
Also, I have no idea why I have icons of Riley and Dawn, of all people, but none of Oz. Apparently, people just don't icon Oz.
(I totally don't have over 100 Tara icons)

...please don't expect me to make a members list or anything. Just pretend this is in the Entertainment section or something. None of this 'can I join' nonsense; just post away.

Oh! But you have to use the proper spoiler tags. I'm not sure how the spoilery thing's gonna work, though; anything beyond series 2, and then we'll advance it as people watch more?

Uuuh, loooking at where we left off on the 'Shipping Club, we were discussing Faith and how much we dis/like her, people appearing in the credits, Spike's terrifying cheekbones, Willow's sexuality, how much I adore Tara (well, mostly that was just me) and even some 'shipping! Specifially Spike/Buffy and Willow/Xander.

Questions? Comments?

Last edited:
Hey, Danni. Did I ever tell you I would totally have sex with you if you weren't a girl? No? Well, uh... I just did. BtVS <333333

Spike/Angel. NEEDS MORE. Seriously. NEEDS MORE ANGEL/SPIKE. (there was actually a Buffy day-dream in the comics about that...)

I knew about Dawn in advance, but when she happened I was like "...:(" ALSO

ANYA. I fucking love Anya. <3

omg and and and and and

the last episode

was such a powerful episode

I was like. HELL YES. EMPOWERMENT. SISTERHOOD. etc. (and then I felt left out, since I'm not a part of the sisterhood :()

Yaaaaaaaay :DD
Oh God, those avatars made me snort with laughter. XD

Furthering on what Butterfree was saying about Willow/Tara, I actually don't see chemistry between them at all. Another reason why I'm not fond of the ship. >_> I was expecting to really like it -- maybe my expectations were too high or something. I just... don't really see how the relationship between them came to be. Then again, judging from how Kennedy is supposed to be...

And wow, I still can't believe there are Buffy fans who genuinely don't like Spike, or who don't find him attractive. I didn't really like him in his first few appearances, mainly because he had such a ridiculous accent when James Marsters first played him. Since it seemed to be toned down deliberately when he was in non-rawr mode, I was a bit surprised when it started becoming less and less Cockney. Was it just because James couldn't or didn't want to play it, since Spike was originally meant to be a minor character?

Alsooo I loved the whole backstory to Spike and the other major vampires. Not even because I happen to like Spike and thus find it interesting, I actually find it all really well-developed. Especially during the flashbacks to the Boxer Rebellion and before Spike was a vampire, those sets were beautiful. I do wonder why Spike seemed like an even nicer version of himself during the show, seemed he'd already gained a soul -- speaking of which, I never really understood how he 'got a soul' in the first place. But I'd appreciate if no-one told me, since I already know there's something about a vampire getting a soul coming up soon. *got spoiled. Again!*

I really like the site I found today -- Critically Touched. Apart from the few spoilers I've got from it, I kind of walked into them, and each review is pretty spoiler-free if you don't look at the Foreshadowing sections. I LOVE the rating system used on it, and I'm surprised to see the only 'F' episodes are far away from S6 and S7, people tend to say they're the worst? 6 especially, anyway. Anyone a fan of this site? :D

...and am I the only one who not only rather liked Beer Bad, but didn't find I Robot, You Jane all that bad? @_@

And on what you said about Restless... I found it a bit too disconcerting at first to really like it, and of course confusing, but I'm starting to like it after reading an analysis on it. I just wish it hadn't been the last in the series, it was a clever place to put it but one I don't think was all that effective. What can I say, I like big finales...

*rambleramble!*

Last edited:
Furthering on what Butterfree was saying about Willow/Tara, I actually don't see chemistry between them at all.
But they do spells together!

Okay, so I haven't seen much (well, any) of the development of their relationship, but in the established-relationship episodes, I really feel it between them. Dunno what it is that does it, exactly.

...and am I the only one who rather liked Beer Bad, and didn't find I Robot, You Jane all that bad? @_@
I Robot, You Jane is hilarious. There's a demon on the Internet! Mostly it's rather painful for anybody who has ever used an actual computer and dates horribly, but it was quite entertaining.

I've been flipping through the season 1 reviews on the site you linked to. I must admit to a certain fondness for Teacher's Pet, mostly because it's a Xander episode and I love Xander to bits. Well, I love everyone, but he is adorable. And I have a thing for cute innocent virgin guys being seduced by evil women. Shut up. <_<

Season two must download faster. D: Most of the episodes in the first half are at around 70-80% completed now.

Oh, Harle, our love can never be <3333

Isn't Spike/Angel hinted at a little quite a few times in Angel the Series? I've only seen a few episodes of it, and it's absolutely hilarious. I love how Angel just... mellows in his own series; I love him so much more when he's not all intense.
I love it so, so much when he comes back in Chosen to cheer Buffy on and when he finds out Spikes got a soul and he's all pouty and "Well I had one first!" - when I saw it first, having seen none of Angel, I was so shocked at him having a sense of humour and stuff!

The final episode was BRILLIANT. Although I really didn't like series 7 as a whole (I really enjoyed Him, Selfless, Storyteller and Chosen and that's about it), the epicness of the grand finale kinda made up for it.

I didn't know about Dawn before, and was very, very confused for the first few eps of series 5. Looking back at the foreshadowing, though, it was very cleverly done. In fact, the only thing that was spoiled for me was
Tara's death. After Joyce and Jenny's deaths, I was determined to keep an emotional distance from characters I knew would die because that way it might hurt less... but then she became my absolute character and when she died, I was depressed for about a week. Seriously.

Pssh; if you don't know by now that I live to collect amusing icons... X3

Guh, if you don't think W/T have chemisty, I really think you *did* miss something with Tara, and it's not just because I love her so much. I mean, lots of people don't really start to like her till after Family after which she's a bit more open and confident, which makes sense, given how much her family secret must've hurt to keep inside or in series six once she recovers from her brain-suck with Glory she's a whole lot more confident, without losing her Tara-ness, but I loved her pretty much from the get-go, particularly when it's made so clear how much she adores Willow, especially in that one scene in New Moon Rising ("Do what makes you h-happy"). There's a Top 100 Buffy Moments list online that's utterly amazing (but you're not allowed to look at till you're done watching everything because it has MASSIVE SPOILERS (Harle, you can see it, here)), that mirrors my feelings exactly:

We'd caught little bits and pieces of Tara up up to this point, but this was the first time we really got to see what kind of person she truly is. This entire scene is moving to watch, as Willow is clearly torn between Oz and Tara, and it's here that the audience finally gets to see why Tara (someone we know precious little about) is giving Oz (someone we've loved for years) such a run for his money -- she has the biggest gosh darned heart in the entire show. When Tara says she'll be there for Willow no matter what, you know it's true. It's killing her to think that it won't be her, but she genuinely wants Willow to choose whomever will make her happiest. Tara's love for our redhead is so strong that it nearly becomes a tangible thing here, and it makes it that much easier for us love her back.

If you didn't aww at it, YOU HAVE NO SOUL. D:

Also, re: "I don't see how the relationship between them came to be", if you've got a spare bunch of time, this is a pretty good fic about the developing relationship between them in s4. That's a fairly good fanfiction site, with a whole bunch of pairings, if you're interested. Beware of spoilers, though (as always).

Also, also: you should not mention it-who-begins-with-K. Boo. Hisssss. It's the most hated character in the fandom for a very good reason.

Yup, Spike wasn't meant to be a major character at all; fans liked him, so they brought him back and somehow he ended up being one of the most major character in the entire show. It's funny how stuff like that happens; Anya was meant to be a one-off demon, but Joss loved Emma so much he had to bring her back; Oz was supposed to be killed in place of
Jenny
, but fans liked him so much, they kept him alive; Joss wrote Doppelgangland purely because he loved VampWillow from The Wish... lots of the characters and how their stories play out were dictated by fans and writer's whims.

Guh, that site with the reviews is absolutely awesome; I've read a bunch and will probably be on here all night reading them all X3
I especially love this, from the review of The Body:

I've lost a loved relative and was there during the following hours after her death. What I experienced was unlike anything I'd ever experienced before in my life--this odd numbness where I couldn't feel, couldn't think, and felt like I was hearing people speak through an audio fog. To think that an episode of television could capture that unique feeling, and then convey it to complete perfection, seems like nonsense.
I couldn't agree more, and I'll say it again; it's the best episode of Buffy.

Aaaah, I'm reading the review of Dead Things and while I don't like some of the stuff in that episode, it *is* awesome, and in ways I'd never thought about before! So cool!
And aaaaaaah the reviewer shares my Tara!Love, especially in Older and Far Away. An average episode, made epic and memorable by my favourite character <333

Haha, the review of Restless sums up my thoughts completely, and reinforces what I said about it getting better every time you see it:

This is a magnificent episode and is the most complex I've ever witnessed on television. The first time I saw it I had a mixture of confusion, awe, and intrigue. It wasn't until I rewatched "Restless" after I was finished with the series that I began to understand just how amazing this truly is. Since then, I've rewatched it countless times and each time I make a new connection or spot something I never noticed before.

Generally, the worst episodes are regarded to be: I Robot, You Jane, Beer Bad, Where The Wild Things Are, Go Fish and Bad Eggs, though, like I said, I think most of S7 is pretty average. It doesn't have any terrible episodes, but doesn't (in my mind, at least) have many that are particularly brilliant, either.

I really enjoyed the Top 10 list and, for the most part, agree with it. As a non-Spike fan, I wouldn't rate Fool For Love quite so high, and while I love Anya to bits, I wouldn't place Selfless second, either. I was very surprised to see Dead Things so high; as an episode, I never really thought that much about it, but it's actually really awesome. Needs more Hush, though ):

And, now Butterfree points it out, Teacher's Pet has some epic foreshadowing I never noticed before! Whoo!

My replies are far, far too long x.x

Last edited:
Oh, Harle, our love can never be <3333

Isn't Spike/Angel hinted at a little quite a few times in Angel the Series? I've only seen a few episodes of it, and it's absolutely hilarious. I love how Angel just... mellows in his own series; I love him so much more when he's not all intense.
I love it so, so much when he comes back in Chosen to cheer Buffy on and when he finds out Spikes got a soul and he's all pouty and "Well I had one first!" - when I saw it first, having seen none of Angel, I was so shocked at him having a sense of humour and stuff!

:( <3

Well. I've not seen any of Angel (I know :() but I've heard that it's kind of hinted at that they've ... done stuff. Yeah. I want to see them doing stuff. :o

That was a good scene, though! I need to watch more Angel.

The final episode was BRILLIANT. Although I really didn't like series 7 as a whole (I really enjoyed Him, Selfless, Storyteller and Chosen and that's about it), the epicness of the grand finale kinda made up for it.
The finale was such a brilliant episode. I've said it before and I'll say it again: probably my favourite episode. I just loved the way Buffy was all SPEECH and the girls were all HELL YEAH and Willow was all :D.

I didn't know about Dawn before, and was very, very confused for the first few eps of series 5. Looking back at the foreshadowing, though, it was very cleverly done. In fact, the only thing that was spoiled for me was
Tara's death. After Joyce and Jenny's deaths, I was determined to keep an emotional distance from characters I knew would die because that way it might hurt less... but then she became my absolute character and when she died, I was depressed for about a week. Seriously.
I'd mostly forgotten about Dawn by the time she happened, and then I was like "...oh yeah." The first time I saw it, though, I was REALLY confused.

Guh, if you don't think W/T have chemisty, I really think you *did* miss something with Tara, and it's not just because I love her so much. I mean, lots of people don't really start to like her till after Family after which she's a bit more open and confident, which makes sense, given how much her family secret must've hurt to keep inside or in series six once she recovers from her brain-suck with Glory she's a whole lot more confident, without losing her Tara-ness, but I loved her pretty much from the get-go, particularly when it's made so clear how much she adores Willow, especially in that one scene in New Moon Rising ("Do what makes you h-happy"). There's a Top 100 Buffy Moments list online that's utterly amazing (but you're not allowed to look at till you're done watching everything because it has MASSIVE SPOILERS (Harle, you can see it, here)), that mirrors my feelings exactly:
I liked Tara. She was refreshing. I especially liked Once More, With Feeling. That was wonderful. And yeah I will look at that promptly!

If you didn't aww at it, YOU HAVE NO SOUL. D:

Also, re: "I don't see how the relationship between them came to be", if you've got a spare bunch of time, this is a pretty good fic about the developing relationship between them in s4. That's a fairly good fanfiction site, with a whole bunch of pairings, if you're interested. Beware of spoilers, though (as always).
Well. They had that whole magic thing, didn't they? They were like "OH YEAH LET'S DO MAGIC" (which TOTALLY wasn't a euphemism for "let's have hot lesbian sex).

Also, also: you should not mention it-who-begins-with-K. Boo. Hisssss. It's the most hated character in the fandom for a very good reason.
I like her! :( She gets better in the season eight comics. Although the comics are a bit WTF. (Dawn gets turned into a giant, a centaur... Willow can fly, Buffy and the Slayers rob banks, Giles tries to get Faith to assassinate one of the non-Slayer slayers...

Yup, Spike wasn't meant to be a major character at all; fans liked him, so they brought him back and somehow he ended up being one of the most major character in the entire show. It's funny how stuff like that happens; Anya was meant to be a one-off demon, but Joss loved Emma so much he had to bring her back; Oz was supposed to be killed in place of
Jenny
, but fans liked him so much, they kept him alive; Joss wrote Doppelgangland purely because he loved VampWillow from The Wish... lots of the characters and how their stories play out were dictated by fans and writer's whims.
And do you know what? I am so, so glad he included Spike and Anya. Anya was such a brilliant character. I loved her so much. She was one of my favourites. :( And SPIKE. Don't even get me started on Spike.

(Also, for you lesbinims out there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4r41vPTF8k&NR=1 It's not Buffy-related but you'll see why I linked when you listen to it. It fits so well!)

...I would quote bits of your post, Danni, but I'm terrified of spoiling myself even more. XD I know about so many upcoming deaths that I keep telling myself I probably know everything by now, and then I'll find another one and just hate myself. XD

I'm really starting to love the website I linked now. :D I was really hoping there'd be a site like this somewhere, and the reviewer likes Spike, so I don't have to feel too guilty reading the review for Fool of Love (probably one of my favourite episodes of any show, ever). And not only that, but he seems to like every character there IS, and is very thorough and unbiased. And have you seen those massive whole series reviews? A big analysis of how the series affected every single main character. <3 And the series itself of course, and I'm going to say again that I adore the score system!

And he likes series 5 as much as me~! It doesn't get enough love, really. ;_;

I seriously cannot wait for my next Buffy. >_> It should be the last -- I guess the writer's strike is affecting it, they were supposed to arrive on the 2nd at the earliest, so I guess I can't complain too much... I just remember series 2 coming REALLY fast and miss that. X3 I bought all the VHS tapes (thank God for my old TV with a built-in video player <3) but for series 7 I decided to buy the DVD instead, despite the price. I felt the show deserved it. XD

From what little I've seen, Angel is goooood. The characters aren't as lovable as those on Buffy, but from what I've heard, the storyline is better - general consensus is that while Buffy went a little downhill in seasons 6 and 7, Angel just got better and better.

Plus, there's an episode where Angel gets turned into a Sesame-Street-style puppet. It's hilarious.

I loved the music in the final episode so much. It sounds right like something off Lord of the Rings. It made everything so intense I think I nearly passed out when I watched it for the first time X3

The musical episode is so, so amazing. It's so fantastic that they made it sound so good with a writer with pretty much no musical-writing experience, actors who weren't hired for their singing (poor little Alyson), and only two outstanding singers among the lot (ASH and Amber).
The OM,WF soundtrack is by far the most played album on my WMP. I think I've played The Mustard Song about 150 times X3

Hehe, the "Magic=Sex" metaphor is hilarious. It's brilliant and cleverly done when it actually happens (particularly the "Big Flaming O" in Who Are You? and the scene that Joss himself describes as "pornographic" in Once More, With Feeling), but it's also pretty funny when the characters draw attention to it (Xander in Restless: "Sometimes I think about two girls doing a spell together... then I do a spell by myself."), but I never quite know where magic stops being gay sex and is meant to represent *actual* magic.

For example!
When my friend watched Family, she assumed that Tara's dad hated her for doing magic, while I totally thought that he hated her for being a lesbian, especially with the scene in her dorm room where he's telling her he'd hoped she'd outgrown the "phase" and says something like "You keep out all these toys just to annoy me.", holding up a, uh, rather phallic-shaped crystal on the word "toys".

Also,
it annoyed some people (myself included) that during series 6, magic (which had always represented Willow and Tara's love and sexual connection) suddenly became something dark, addictive and dangerous, and some people have read into Willow's magic addiction as a metaphor for an addiction to sex (which is rather horrifyingly supported by her going to Rack).

On a lighter note, have a hilarious (spolier free!) macro on the subject.

I've only read a couple of the comics and yeah, found them pretty WTF-ish. I was deeply, deeply angered by (MASSIVE
Joss bringing Warren back, albeit skinless and gross-looking. Why the hell does he bring back pretty much every single character except the ones I really love (Jenny, Tara, Anya)?? This is especially outrageous when one considers that lots of the characters he does bring back were ready to die at their point of death (Buffy, Spike), while the three mentioned above were all ripped apart from their loved ones in a moment of unexpected violence D:
...what do you mean, "bitter"?

Anya was abolutely fantastic. I really loved how much her character grew from her introduction, her arc pretty much completing with Selfless in series 7. Also, Anya's speeches have the capacity to reduce me to a blubbering wreck. I've mentioned it before, but OH GOD, that rant she gives in The Body ;~;
And the one in End of Days, about humans "blundering through life until they die. Which they KNOW is coming, yet every single one of them is surprised when it happens to them." God, I adore her <333

Hehe, that song's hilarious X3

Guh, I'm sorry for all my spoilers. Yeeeeah, it's probably best not to quote any of my spoiler-ful posts (especially not this one).

Yeah, I noticed how the reviewer seems to like every single characters (even Dawn!), and I think that's pretty cool; it annoys me when things like reviews and recaps have horrendous character bias, even against a character I dislike, because all the hatred and bile seems so unnessesary. Plus, I really wish I did utterly love all the characters; imagine how much fun she show would be if I loved everyone as much as I love Tara and Giles!

The review system is fun, but a little too biased in favour of advancing the plot/characters. Okay, I'm only saying that because he complains about the middle scene in Tabula Rasa (series 6), which is one of my absolute favourite scenes in Buffy, ever (in fact, the only scene I can think of that beats it is Giles' explanation of the Gentlemen in Hush, which nearly makes me cry laughing every time), and while it doesn't serve the plot in any way, it doesn't need to, because it's just brilliant and hilarious in its own right.

Which Buffy are you waiting on now? Have you seen S6 yet?

Guh; I found the entirety of Angel the Series on VHS in a charity shop the other day for £20 and I was so, so tempted, but videos just take up so much room and can be of such dodgy quality... I'll just wait till I win the lottery and then buy the DVDs :3

Danni, you already know of my love for buffy.

I know I do; you're here to celebrate your love with everyone else, dammit! :D

I, uh. Don't know what to talk about. ;o;

Umm... Open question: Who is/are your favourite non-main character/s?
("main" here meaning "character to have at some point appeared in the credits, here including the Core Four, Cordy, Angel, Oz, Riley, Spike, Anya, Tara, Dawn and I think Faith?". I think I just had a Lemony Snicket moment.)

Mine would have to be Jenny, Ethan (there's never been a bad Ethan-episode), Harmony, Joyce, Clem (I know he annoys some people, but I really like him) and
I do like Andrew, but only in S7, but I hate myself for liking him because in S6 he was a co-conspiritor in murder, attempted rape, and he adored the bastard that killed my favourite character.
And, of course, Vamp Willow <33333

Last edited:
Argh, Angel for £20 sounds so damn good. XD I so totally wish I could visit that charity shop... I'll probably end up buying all of Angel on VHS soon anyway.

I know I'm not directly replying to much in your post, but yeah, not gonna quote. But it was very interesting. XP All your Buffy-related posts are! :3

My favourite non-mains... I'm not sure. I wouldn't say I'm hugely fond of Joyce, mainly because I thought it was weird how she suddenly stood up to Snyder early in the series. The line "I think she's trying to say 'Na na na na na!'" was awesome but I just think she went from a careful, good-behaviour kind of mum kind of fast. Especially as she tends to be rather polite, except when she really needs to be authoritative like when Spike locked everyone in the school and she was stuck with Snyder and some other teachers. Especially when I think about how my headteacher would react if MY mum did that. X3

I don't think Faith ever appears in the credits, but yeah, she's pretty much a main character anyway. It's too tough! ;~; I like Ethan as a character, but that's kind of merged with me liking seeing Giles punching him, so yeah. XD In a good-for-the-show way I like him. I guess I'm going to have to go with Jenny, though during her first few appearances I really didn't like her all that much. I liked her a lot more when she distanced herself from Giles, needing time, I thought that was very realistic and appreciated her character more from then on. I like Drusilla even though she's completely messed up, and Harmony for being absolutely adorable in a half-evil sort of way, heh. Only after she became a vampire though. Her banter with Spike was absolutely awesome.

Query; I've ordered 5-2, 6-1, 6-2 and 7 full DVD, and annoyingly 6-1 and 6-2 both arrived today. So now I have to wail every time I look at it, wanting to watch more and especially see Once More, With Feeling... would it be terrible for me to just start watching 6-1 now? I have no way of knowing when 5-2 will arrive, but probably in the next few days so I might not even get past a quarter of the series. I already know Buffy dies, are there any more REALLY MAJOR things in 5-2 that should make me wait? I sort of know the gist of what happens in 5-2, and I will watch it when it arrives, it's just that... well, I wanna watch some Buffy now. X3

Last edited:
Okay, I'm *so* glad you think my posts are interesting, because once I start I just can't seem to stop and then it all ends up being a big WALL OF TEXT. :3

I agree that Joyce's character jumped around quite a bit. I haven't seen the early seasons in quite a while (I remember her being fairly cool in School Hard - the S2 episode with Spike's introduction), and the only episodes with lots of Joyce I know really well are Band Candy, where she's not exactly in-character (but if you don't love her there's something wrong with you); Amends (s2), where she and Buffy (and eventually Faith) celerate Christmas together is really sweet; Lover's Walk (s3) where she and Spike have a cup of tea and then Angel comes and she won't let him in and then Spike pretends to bite her (a la the Spike icon at the top of the page) and, again, if that scene didn't make you die laughing there's something wrong with you; Earshot (s3), where she's a fairly good mother, worrying about Buffy over all else ("I keep wondering if I'm hurting her with my thoughts") but isn't much help... and her whole arc in series 5
where she's sick, up to, of course, The Body
I remember not liking her so much in the early seasons, but in the absence of any other reasoning, I'd love her for a) telling Willow and Tara how "sometimes you feel like giving up on men altogether", and b) aaaaaall the Band Candy refrences (Earshot, Restless, The Body and probably more).

I liked her a lot more when she distanced herself from Giles, needing time, I thought that was very realistic and appreciated her character more from then on.
I *really* think you'll like Tara in S6.
(if you don't, I'll cry)

I love Ethan, not so much as an intereating character, but just because he's so, so funny (that scene in A New Man where Giles leaves, he steps out from the shadows to gloat and then Giles hears him and comes back XDDD), and is a catalyst for funny ("You're my slayer so you gotta do what I tell you; punch 'im!"), so you pretty much have to love him.

How did I forget about Druuuuu? Oh, she's brilliant. Granted, there's not too much to her character past "absolutely nuts", but she's so good at it that it doesn't really matter X3

I don't think there are any massively important things that would be spoiled if you started watching series 6 now (except the massive thing you mentioned - such a shame you spoiled yourself for that, though), though there are a couple of things that are somewhat important and not knowing about them will either a) totally confuse you, or b) make it hard to understand why characters do certain things. Especially for Willow, who gets some serious character development in the final few episodes of S5.

Plus, I uttely *adore* the S5 finale (it was written to be a conclusion to the whole series, and I think it would've worked if the whole show had stopped there - though that would mean never having the musical ep), and even though you've spoiled yourself for certian events, as your favourite reviewer puts it: "It would be naive to say that the season was built for this. The entire series up to this point was built for this.", and the Top 100 Buffy Moments list I love so much ranks the final few minutes of The Gift as #1... and I can't help but feel it would dampen the enjoyment if you didn't watch it as it was meant to be seen. It really is that fantastic.

...But it's totally up to you. X3

Last edited:
So the first half of season two finished downloading and I watched the first episode (I was going to save it all to watch with Shadey today, but my excuse was that I wanted to make sure the video quality was okay). And ohgod Willow/Xander. ;_; Stop torturing me, Joss! I know it is never to be and Willow turns out happily gay but she had ice cream on her nose and and and. And "If they hurt Willow, I'll kill you." Silly Xander, can't you see that Buffy just doesn't like you like that? D: That said, I kind of enjoyed her toying with him, in a heartbreaking "Aww no you can't be mean to poor silly little Xander like that!" way, which doesn't really make any sense but I generally make no sense so. And Giles choking Buffy was creepy. D: In a good way.

[/incoherent ramble]

D'awww~ I'm not a Will/Xander shipper at all, but that ice-cream-on-the-nose scene still gets me every time.

I don't know if you've noticed this, but series 2 is waaaaaay better than series 1.

So the first half of season two finished downloading and I watched the first episode (I was going to save it all to watch with Shadey today, but my excuse was that I wanted to make sure the video quality was okay). And ohgod Willow/Xander. ;_; Stop torturing me, Joss! I know it is never to be and Willow turns out happily gay but she had ice cream on her nose and and and. And "If they hurt Willow, I'll kill you." Silly Xander, can't you see that Buffy just doesn't like you like that? D: That said, I kind of enjoyed her toying with him, in a heartbreaking "Aww no you can't be mean to poor silly little Xander like that!" way, which doesn't really make any sense but I generally make no sense so. And Giles choking Buffy was creepy. D: In a good way.

[/incoherent ramble]

Oh, god, i remember that scene. I nearly EXPLODED from the cuteness and almost-kissness.

Uh, I was procrastinating on an essay and somehow came up with this; I know not everyone'll agree, but...

My Top 10 Awww-worthy romantic scenes in Buffy:
(complete with spoiler tags-a-mundo! (sorry about that)

Buffy kissing Angel before stabbing him in Becoming, pt. 2
Anya and Xander’s conversation on the couch in Storyteller
Willow’s reaction to Tara’s mind being alright again (“I will always find you!”) in The Gift
Oz giving Willow the Witch Pez (gah, can't remember the ep)
Willow giving Tara the “extra flamey” candle at the end of New Moon Rising
Willow asking Oz to be her date (“I said ‘date’!”) in Surprise
The Willow/Xander “There’s ice cream on your nose” scene in When She Was Bad
Anya’s “You make me feel safe and warm, so, I... get it now. I finally get love, Xander! I really do” speech in Hell’s Bells
Willow and Tara’s “I am, you know?” “What?” “Yours.” exchange in Who Are You?
The “Can we just skip it? Can you just be kissing me now?” scene with Tara going back to Willow in Entropy

Haven't seen the early seasons in a long time, so there's not too many scenes from early-in-the-series couples. And, uh, I'm a little biased.
Again, sorry for the spoilers ): I can't wait till you guys have seen everything so we don't have to use spoiler tags at all :3

Last edited:
I watched three more episodes of season two yesterday! It was weird to see Spike being introduced so early; I wasn't really expecting him until the fourth season or so (my general reaction when that blond guy stepped out of the car, in the freaky vampire-makeup I'd never seen on him, was "...oh my God, is that Spike?"). But man, is he fun. It's odd to see him just being a vampire and killing people rather than raging about the chip in his head or lusting after Buffy, but he is just so much more entertaining to watch than the silly Master and the Anointed One (I laughed way more than I ought to have at "the Annoying One"). Season two is looking promising. :D

And you weren't kidding; Drusilla be craaaazy.

The Inca mummy episode was kind of corny, but hey, it has Xander falling in love with some twisted supernatural being. And oh, wow, Oz. I really barely saw any of him when watching with Dannichu, but now I like him already. It takes a very special kind of guy to ignore all the stripperific hula girls in the room and be mesmerized by Willow in an Eskimo suit instead.

OH MY GOD the eskimo suit is the CUTEST THING.

Open question: Does anyone have any idea at all what the purpose of the Anointed One even was? Again, I've not seen S1/2 in a while, but I don't have a clue what he was even there for.

I think the idea was just that the Anointed One would have great power and would help the Master rise. Except this Anointed One was a little kid who hadn't come to full power yet and was no match for Spike and a little sunlight.

For a more meta answer, I think Joss invented Spike, thought "This guy is a lot cooler than that Anointed One kid; why don't I just get rid of him?" and wrote out whatever purpose he had intended the Anointed One to serve in the future.

Back
Top Bottom