• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

One-Shot Home

Harlequin

I've been on a bit of a Jean M Auel kick recently (lol) and I decided to write this. It isn't strictly part of any of my established universes but if it makes you happy you can stick this into the Blackwood mythos. Since, er, it's kind of relevant.

Home

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The young man looked up, awed by the sight of the gigantic mammoth tusks that formed the entrance of the earth lodge. It was the biggest ever raised and it had been done by his people.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Pride filled his heart as he stared at it. Generation after generation of their people would live and die here, protected by the very planet herself. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Stability was the core of their people, their heart and soul. Without an earth lodge, they were lost. Wanderers. Homeless.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]He shuddered. He had seen the Homeless Ones – cold, savage and hungry. Dangerous. He would never become like them. His people were safe. They had an earth lodge – the biggest ever – and a bountiful land, filled with herds of the great megafauna, with mammoths to the north. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]His hearth – his sister's hearth – would be Mammoth Hearth. Their line was ancient and powerful, tied to the spirit of the great mammoths. His mother, his mother's mother, her mother's mother and back as far as could be remembered were Spirit-walkers, and the status that came with it was his until he married.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The great structure loomed before him, the tusks forming the entrance. The earth had not yet been packed, so it resembled one of the scuttling demon-bugs that infested the area rather than the hillock it would some day appear to be.[/FONT]

“[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Are you going to help or what?” said his sister, an angry look upon her face. He grinned, and nodded.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Of course he would help. This was to be Home. [/FONT]​

Back
Top Bottom