• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

This Nintendo fanboy got an Xbox 360... (game recommendations please)

J.T.

wat
I dunno. Does that mean I have to drop the "Nintendo fanboy" title, or...?

SO short story even shorter we got an Xbox 360 for Christmas. I also have a large chunk of cash, which I'm planning on buying a second controller with (hopefully getting a multiplayer game will get my brother off Call of Duty and let me play for a bit, but I'm not getting my hopes up) and a new game or two. So with that, I need game recommendations.

All I have right now is Pure, Lego Batman (the games the system came with), and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. We also rented Tekken 6 and Street Fighter 4 from the Blockbuster nearby - Tekken's alright, but Street Fighter just seems kinda meh to me. I liked the earlier ones, though. I got to play Halo 3 when my brother's friend brought it over and I rented Soul Calibur IV a week ago, and both of those are good games (but I still suck at Halo). That's... the extent of my Xbox 360 gaming knowledge. Seriously. One of the curses of being a (former?) Nintendo fanboy, I guess.

I generally like most kinds of games, although first-person shooters aren't exactly my cup of tea - I've only found a few I like. I'd prefer games that have Xbox Live or multiplayer modes. So, any ideas?

360 is pretty much FPS city, so I'd try to get over it.

Bioshock is pretty damned good whether you like shooters or not so :O

Welcome to a real console!

First and foremost, The Orange Box is essential if you don't have it for the PC already.

Fallout 3, Dragon Age: Origins, Tales of Vesperia, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and the original Modern Warfare are all fucking brilliant, too.

If you're going for fighters try out BlazBlue. Tekken and Street Fighter are generic rubbish, really... of course - [/opinionated]
You could try out Left 4 Dead 2, or one if you wanted to go that way. It's hard to escape the 'Shooter' genre on the bawks, but it shuffles up a little at least. Also being almost completely multiplayer, live or not, centric; don't even try with the AI. Argh.
I don't own them, but Fallout 3 and Oblivian I've played and enjoyed a good bit, I could give a thumbs-up in their general direction.
And think carefully about the Orange Box - I'll toss in the agreement that everyone SHOULD own this pack, but without updates or mods like the PC boasts it can be a little.. bland and broken. If your PC can run it, get it for that instead.
Tales games ALWAYS get a vote from me, so another vote for Vesperia. [/fangirl'd]
Suppose that'd all I could say for now.

What, nobody's gonna throw out Assassin's Creed 1 and 2, Fable 2, or the NBA/Madden Games (If you like those respective sports)?

Darksiders is basically what would happen if LoZ and God of War had a baby, and if you think there's anything wrong with that you can go to hell.

Unless you have some strange urge to play the campaign of Halo 3 I would advise ignoring that and just purchasing ODST, as it delivers the same multiplayer with every extra map included on the disc, saving you a bundle. (Also the campaign is better)

Army of Two: 40th day is fun but pathetically short, it is a game that requires at least one bro to play with. If you find a bro, you can have loads of fun pretending to surrender to terrorists and then shooting them in the face.

Don't buy Street Fighter 4 now, just wait for Super Street Fighter 4 to come out and buy that instead. The other two fighters of merit are DOA4 and Blazblue. (Tekken 6 is a joke)

Some titles that you can go bargain bin diving for would be Viva Pinata and Overlord; the former being an inexplicably addicting pinata-raising game and the latter letting you be an evil overlord with color-coded minions.

Brutal Legend is okay, shorter than it should be, tries to sell you on the multiplayer and in my opinion falls short. But it's certainly a unique game.

If you really honestly haven't played Half-Life 2 or the two episodes following it, I guess you could get the orange box. But you really should get it on the platform it belongs on.

I was a big fan of Wet but I can't deny that it has simplistic gameplay and a mediocre-length campaign with no real incentive to complete the various challenges.

Bioshock and Fallout 3 are two games that you should have already played on the PC but if you have no other option you can get the 360 ports. Oblivion too I guess.

Dead Rising is a goddamn classic and you should already have it.

Mass Effect and its soon-to-be released sequel are also games that have acceptable ports.

I can go on for a really long time, enjoy having a console that can actually have good third-party titles that aren't boomblox!

BEAUTIFUL KATAMARI.

WHY HAS NO ONE MENTIONED BEAUTIFUL KATAMARI?!

I'm more of a PS3 sort of person, but Beautiful Katamari is what it says on the tin: beautiful.

because beautiful katamari is the weakest entry in the series, lacking content even when put beside one of the psp releases

Borderlands is really fun, even though it's an FPS. Actually, it's one of the three FPSs that I actually like. It has a metroid feel, it plays like an RPG, you actually level up and gain abilities, there are four different classes with their own uses, there are class mods, there are guns that do elemental damage and DoT, and, best of all, it's actually quite difficult. Which is awesome, for an RPG of its kind.

I suggest Dragon Age Origins, especially if you like RPGs. Also, I recommend Blazblue, Fable II, Assassin's Creed 2, Prince of Persia, Prototype, inFamous, and (insert FPS's here). But if you don't want my opinion, watch Zero Punctuation for some laughs and extremely high standards.

Tales of Vesperia's a great game. Though the story is rather weak by the series' standard, it's nowhere near being as bad as Destiny 2. Plus, it's still got a lot of content, despite looking like beta material when you compare it to its PS3 port.

Tekken 6 is lots of fun, despite what other people say; just stay away from the scenario campaign. Although if you want to play with people that are halfway decent, and not full of scrubs, you're better off with the PS3 version (which you don't have system for, unfortunately D: ), or finding an arcade (good luck with that) that has the game (You'd need more luck for that).

Stay away from Street Fighter 4; it's full of assholes who like to use Seth, Abel, and Ryu/Ken, not to mention, the games have always been crap. Its only saving grace is that it's not SFIII, or Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

It's not out yet, nor is it multiplayer, but you should also check out Resonance of Fate when it comes out this year.

And BlazBlue's great no matter what system you play it on. You must get it, and marvel at the awesomeness of Rachel and Tager, before Continuum Shift comes out with its tiny Tager, and nerfed Rachel, and Hazama. And if you do get BB, head over to Dustloop for some good matches; everyone there is fun to fight with, plus there's even a thread for you to post the epic hatemails you'll get xD

Also check out Star Ocean: The Last Hope. Not like it really matters, since SO4 International is a PS3 exclusive.

Soul Calibur 4 is a trashy tale of turtles and grapples eternally retold, so unless you wanna get pissed off, stay away.

I'll say it again, and again, and again though, being such a big fanboy of the series; get Tales of Vesperia. You won't regret it. While it could really do without the Free-Run mechanic, and is nowhere near as good as Destiny PS2's, or Graces battle systems, it's still a great system, and despite the pretty bad story, its characters are awesome. One can tell Team Symphonia tried to turn Jade into a main character, but realized the resulting awesome would be too much, so they split him up into Yuri and Raven.

(FPS city. That probably means I'll get over it pretty soon.)

... I didn't even know you could get The Orange Box for Xbox (which shows just how much I pay attention to non-Nintendo consoles), I just assumed it was a computer-game-only thing. Which didn't stop me from wanting to play it. My current computer is a piece of crap that probably won't play any computer games made after 2000 or some shit, so getting it on the computer isn't an option. So yes, I am definitely getting The Orange Box.

I've heard of BlazBlue and thought it sounded pretty interesting, but I'd forgotten about it until you guys mentioned it. I'll probably rent BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger first, just to see if I like it before looking into buying it.

I've heard good things about the Tales series, so I'll look into Vesperia. I'll also look into Dead Rising, Mass Effect (although I'll probably wait until 2 comes out), Darksiders, and, honestly, pretty much everything else you guys said.

My two cents on Soulcalibur IV:

While the turtling/grappling's been resolved with the new Soul Crush thing (armor and such), the crappiness unveils itself in the form of a much weaker Character Creation. (while they've added more voices and body tone, the armor values are detrimental, plus you can't wear a shirt and an armor plate at the same time. Nor can you wear pants and a skirt.)

And lest we forget the Star Wars shoehorning.

...That happened to me too in 2008, so I know what it's like. Hm, I don't know ANYTHING about Xbox games(my XBox just stands there collecting dust) but I tried the Viva Piñata demo and it was pretty fun. So that's pretty much the only recommendation I have.

Assassin's Creed is a good game, my friends as it and I have watched him play it. Seems like Prince of Persia type of game.

A 360? I'm very sorry.

Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed 1 and 2, Left 4 Dead, Halo (ewwww....), and Devil May Cry 4 (they only GOOD Xbox exclusive...) are all I can think of. See if you can trade it for either a Wii or PS3 on Craig's List XD

So updates.

I bought the Orange Box. As much as I would've liked to get the computer version, I have to deal with the Xbox version on account of my piece-of-crap computer. Currently working on not sucking at Team Fortress.

I rented Assassin's Creed 2 last week (I heard it was better than the original) and beat it in about four days. It's a good game, lots of fun, but I found it too easy. The ending made me want to throw the controller through a wall until the story kept going after the credits. Also, is it me, or could they remove that whole Desmond plot thing and just focus on Ezio's story without detracting from the gameplay too much?

I bought Dead Rising yesterday (saved five bucks because it was used), and although it's pretty fun, I can't play it around my six-year-old brother, and since he likes to watch me play, it means I usually have to wait until he goes to bed - which is when my other younger brother is usually playing Modern Warfare. It'll probably take me a while to beat it because of all that, but from what I've seen of it, it's damn fun.

And I seriously want to try BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger. The local Blockbuster doesn't rent it out, though, and when I tried to buy it at EB Games it was like $65 for a used copy, so I said screw it. I'll have to wait until the price goes down a bit or Blockbuster decides to start renting it out.

Glitched, I have a Wii already, and I do not want a PS3. Also it's technically my brother's and I don't think he'd want to trade it for a PS3 either. Thanks for the bashing, though, I love the flame war potential you just brought up. :|

Devil May Cry 4 (they only GOOD Xbox exclusive...)

what

DMC4 is definitely not Xbox exclusive. Otherwise it wouldn't be on PS3, or have a PC port. And even then, it's best played on PS3, what with the Xbox's shitty, poorly imitated Dreamcast controller/d-pad

BB is really hard to find, even used. You'd be more lucky to find Vesperia though. You might try ordering BlazBlue online though? Amazon has it for a fairly cheap price, despite it being so hard to find, and so awesome.

Welcome to a real console!

First and foremost, The Orange Box is essential if you don't have it for the PC already.

Fallout 3, Dragon Age: Origins, Tales of Vesperia, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and the original Modern Warfare are all fucking brilliant, too.
This this this this and more of this.

I've heard good things about the Tales series, so I'll look into Vesperia. I'll also look into Dead Rising, Mass Effect (although I'll probably wait until 2 comes out), Darksiders, and, honestly, pretty much everything else you guys said.
No, you won't. You'll get the first Mass Effect because there's no point in playing the second if your not going to follow through on the excellent story the first has to offer. /rage

I strongly encourage you not to get Darksiders, there's much better. You should check out Bayonetta instead.

I guess there's no reason to get the first AC now, because it really is disappointing if you play the sequel before it. Oh well.

Here are some that you should definitely consider: Bioshock (omg yes), Left 4 Dead 2, Borderlands, Fable 2, Lost Odyssey. Final Fantasy is coming out soon, and so is Resonance of Fate, two RPGs that look amazing.

Back
Top Bottom