• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

D/P/Pt Explosion Team

wyoming789

They always fall for the eyes!
Hey, I was thinking, and I came up with a good idea. I think its a good idea, at least! Anyway, my idea is that you take an Azelf, a Metagross , and a Snorlax, and teach them EXPLOSION! I mean, if you take Azelf and Metagross and give them explosion with a Choice Band, and a Snorlax with Selfdestuct and a Choice Band, that might actually work, easially taking out at least 2, and most likely 3, with the other 3 Pokemon on my team, I have a good chance to win because most people will send out their best PKMN after the first explosion, not expecting another, god forbid a 3rd! So tell me, any suggestions?:sweatdrop:

So Explosion will deal more damage, as it's a physical attack.

Anyway, you'll definitely have to watch out for Ghosts and Steel or Rock Pokemon with high Defense. And since you don't have much else there, there isn't much else to say.

Any Ghost type that comes along will basically sodomize this strategy. Don't get me wrong, I love a good Explosion once in a while, but you're basically making half a team's worth of suicide bombers. Once they're gone, you only have half your team left. Granted, in some situations, so would your opponent. However, after about the second Explosion, maybe even the first, don't you think the enemy would wise up a bit and start expecting it?

A Choice Band set on all three of those could work (although making a physical moveset for Azelf might be a pain), but making them solely to go Michael Bay on your enemies is bound to backfire horribly.

Thanks for your thoughts! Anyway, I also have a Latias on my team, a Togekiss, and an Electivire, so that covers the Psychic thing. Also, all of you are forgeting one important factor, explosion isn't the only move they know. For example, if I have out Azelf and the opponent has out, I don't know, mabye Gengar, I use U-turn to Togekiss, take the impending immunty hit, and hit with a Choice Specs Air Slash, or have Snorlax use Choice Band Crunch and then switch next turn. Also, sreservoir, Lickilicky will reach 250 if I'm lucky in attack, while Snorlax will easily reach 300. I also feel that Snorlax's extra 50 base HP will allow it to survive almost anything with some EV's in defense. To be honest, I most likly won't use Explosion on Metagross, It's just a last resort against things with high enough attack to prevent more then one move. But anyways, thanks for the advise any at all is appreciated!:grin:

Thanks for your thoughts! Anyway, I also have a Latias on my team, a Togekiss, and an Electivire, so that covers the Psychic thing. Also, all of you are forgeting one important factor, explosion isn't the only move they know.

Even so, having three Pokemon with Explosion seems a bit overkill, especially when you made it sound like that was their big purpose.

For example, if I have out Azelf and the opponent has out, I don't know, mabye Gengar, I use U-turn to Togekiss, take the impending immunty hit, and hit with a Choice Specs Air Slash, or have Snorlax use Choice Band Crunch and then switch next turn.

I never said I thought you would be stupid enough to use Explosion when a Ghost-type is already out. I'm saying that they can easily switch a Ghost-type in during the turn you use it. Azelf, Metagross, and Snorlax all commonly run Explosion/Selfdestruct (Snorlax is a bit less common, but Ghost-types still like to switch in on non-Crunch variants to eat its STAB Return or Body Slam), so opponents will expect it and act accordingly (maybe it's a little less expected in Azelf, since no one expects a physical set, let alone a Choice Band). It's not like Ghost-types are rare, either. Gengar, Dusknoir, Froslass, Mismagius, and Rotom-A (if you're using Shoddy) are all fairly common from what I've seen.

Also, sreservoir, Lickilicky will reach 250 if I'm lucky in attack, while Snorlax will easily reach 300. I also feel that Snorlax's extra 50 base HP will allow it to survive almost anything with some EV's in defense.

Adamant Lickilicky hits over 400 Attack with a Choice Band - hell, so can Jolly if it has good enough IVs - and is the only thing in the game with STAB Explosion. 375 base power coming off 400 Attack while ignoring half your opponent's defense is going to seriously mess things up. Also, he never said specifically get rid of Snorlax, just consider Lickilicky.

To be honest, I most likly won't use Explosion on Metagross, It's just a last resort against things with high enough attack to prevent more then one move.

That should be Explosion's purpose - a last-ditch effort when you're about to die. You shouldn't have to use it more than once, twice in bad situations. Don't expect to fall into the situation you described too often, as Metagross and Snorlax are both very slow.

The big problem you have here is that Choice Band forces your Pokemon to be a suicide bomber. You can't switch to Explosion when you're about to die, so the last-ditch scenario Explosion is most commonly used in can't happen; you have to switch out to something else. The only time you'd find it practical to use it is when you get smashed while switching in to use something else on the opponent, and then you have to somehow find a way for Metagross or Snorlax to outspeed whatever hit them hard enough to bring them into the danger zone. Sure, you can get a kill on the switch if your opponent doesn't predict correctly, but it's usually a much better idea to predict their switch-in - that way, you still kill the opponent, and you're still alive.

Snorlax doesn't have a prayer of ever outspeeding anything, so it can only use Selfdestruct if it avoids being 2HKOed or if the opponent switches out, which will most often be to a Ghost-type as they expect a STAB Normal attack. That leaves Metagross and Azelf; Metagross has only 70 base speed and therefore still can't outspeed a lot. I know you said you probably won't use Explosion a lot on him (or at all, you weren't clear on that), but when you outright say you'll rarely use it, it's time to reconsider it as a move choice. Explosion is still viable on Metagross, but not to the extent you seem to think it is. And finally, we have Azelf, who, while being able to viably use Explosion on a Choice Band set, is a powerful sweeper in its own right, and almost seems to go to waste when it simply explodes at the slightest threat. I'd go with a Naive Azelf set focused on special attacks (without any Choice items), and put in just enough Attack EVs to get some vital OHKOs with Explosion - that way, you have a more versatile attacker. However, ultimately, a Choice Band set could work for its pure unpredictability. Imagine watching as your opponent switches in a Blissey and ends up eating a STAB Zen Headbutt (I'm pretty sure that would be a kill, but I'm too lazy to pull up a calculator right now).

Bottom line: Your team could work, but it's a bit risky to put so much focus on exploding.

Bronzong, Tyranitar, Rhyperior, Foretress, Heatran, Magnezone, and Skarmory all say hay.

And they're all commonly used pokemon in teams, and Electivire and Latias can't take out Bronzong in one hit usually. Then again I might be wrong.

Code:
Fortress (Forretress) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
---
Magma (Heatran) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Explosion
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Stealth Rock
---
Armor (Metagross) @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
- Explosion
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Thunderpunch
---
Bomb (Electrode) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Static
- Explosion
- Sucker Punch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
---
Tongue (Lickilicky) (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Own Tempo
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Thunderpunch
- Ice Punch
---
Willpower (Azelf) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Explosion
- Thunderpunch
- Ice Punch
---

crappy team, yes, but it was fun while it lasted.

Code:
Rules: Evasion Clause, Extended Game, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Sleep Clause, Soul Dew Clause, Species Clause, Timed Battle
Joatmon sent out Gyarados (lvl 100 Gyarados ?).
sreservoir sent out Fortress (lvl 100 Forretress ?).
Gyarados's intimidate cut Fortress's attack!
Faith has entered the room.
Gyarados used Taunt.
Fortress fell for the taunt!
Fortress used Explosion.
Gyarados lost 106% of its health.
Joatmon's Gyarados fainted.
sreservoir's Fortress fainted.
---
sreservoir: fun
Joatmon switched in Latias (lvl 100 Latias ?).
sreservoir switched in Magma (lvl 100 Heatran ?).
Latias used Dragon Pulse.
It's not very effective...
Magma lost 25% of its health.
Magma used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
---
Latias used Dragon Pulse.
Magma lost 22% of its health.
Magma used Dragon Pulse.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Latias lost 113% of its health.
Joatmon's Latias fainted.
---
Joatmon switched in Swampert (lvl 100 Swampert ?).
Pointed stones dug into Swampert.
Swampert lost 6% of its health.
Magma used Explosion.
Swampert lost 97% of its health.
Joatmon's Swampert fainted.
sreservoir's Magma fainted.
---
Joatmon switched in Jolteon (lvl 100 Jolteon ?).
sreservoir switched in Armor (lvl 100 Metagross).
Pointed stones dug into Jolteon.
Jolteon lost 12% of its health.
sreservoir: they blow
Jolteon used Thunderbolt.
A critical hit!
Armor lost 152% of its health.
sreservoir's Armor fainted.
---
sreservoir switched in Bomb (lvl 100 Electrode).
Joatmon: lol
Bomb used Sucker Punch.
Jolteon lost 31% of its health.
Jolteon used Thunderbolt.
Bomb lost 53% of its health.
---
Bomb used Explosion.
Jolteon lost 171% of its health.
Joatmon's Jolteon fainted.
sreservoir's Bomb fainted.
---
Joatmon switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
sreservoir switched in Willpower (lvl 100 Azelf).
Pointed stones dug into Scizor.
Scizor lost 12% of its health.
Scizor used Bullet Punch.
Willpower lost 85% of its health.
Willpower used U-turn.
Scizor lost 12% of its health.
sreservoir switched in Tongue (lvl 100 Lickilicky ?).
---
sreservoir: going to blow up
Scizor used Bullet Punch.
Tongue lost 50% of its health.
Tongue used Explosion.
Scizor lost 147% of its health.
Joatmon's Scizor fainted.
sreservoir's Tongue fainted.
---
Joatmon switched in Infernape (lvl 100 Infernape ?).
sreservoir switched in Willpower (lvl 100 Azelf).
Pointed stones dug into Infernape.
Infernape lost 12% of its health.
Willpower used Explosion.
Infernape lost 250% of its health.
Joatmon's Infernape fainted.
sreservoir wins!
sreservoir: I win?
Joatmon: gg ha
sreservoir: lol
Joatmon: if i had switched to nape on licky
Joatmon: i would have ha
sreservoir: won by suicide
Joatmon: but whatever :D
sreservoir: 147% on _Scizor_
sreservoir: ouch
Joatmon: Oh you jackass you didn't have selfkoclause on rofl
sreservoir: let's run damcalcs
sreservoir: no such thing
Joatmon: Really?
sreservoir: what's your ape spread?
Joatmon: lemme check
Joatmon: should be standard though
Joatmon: no hp or def evs
Joatmon: neutral nature
Joatmon: naive is minus spdef right
sreservoir: yes
Joatmon: alright
sreservoir: naive: +sp -sd
sreservoir: what are the point values?
Joatmon: 293 hp
Joatmon: 177 def
sreservoir: 2453 hp min
sreservoir: 2672 max
sreservoir: * avg
sreservoir: 2888 max'
sreservoir: hp
Joatmon: you forgetting a decimal in there?
sreservoir: yes, but screw decimals, I round down :D
sreservoir: 2672.92 average
Joatmon: gg again, ha
Joatmon has left the room.
sreservoir: something like 1000%

this is the fun I had with it.

notably, lickilicky 2/3HKO on a scizor, which has decent def, average hp, and resists.

purely explosive teams are viable.

Back
Top Bottom