• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

D/P/Pt Attempts at a Rain Dance team

Karkat Vantas

Virile God-Snake Tower of Masculinity
So, I'm trying to make a Rain Dance team. At the moment, it's all just a concept, but I think this could work.

At the moment, this is the general layout of the team:

Electrode to start it off. Most likely with a Focus Band. Rain Dance, then Explosion to kick off a nice rainstorm.

For walls, I'll most likely use Weezing and Quagsire. The two have nice synergy; Quagsire's lone weakness is covered by Weezing, and I could possibly run Fling and Iron Ball on Quagsire to cover Psychics (although I probably won't).

Registeel is also an option, what with one of its weaknesses being neutralized in the rain.

I really want to run Ampharos as a tank, since it gets good STAB from a 100% accuracy Thunder. It could also set up screens for the team and work as nice support.

I really would like a Lanturn here, so that might get on my team as well. Otherwise, though, I'm getting a blank. Help.

One thing I'd suggest is one, more likely two, really powerful sweepers that get a bonus in the rain. Ludicolo and Kabutops are very popular for this role but Omastar can also work well. Basically, just search for Pokemon with Swift Swim as an ability in Veekun and pick a couple from there. If you do go for two, then you should probably use one special and one physical.

EDIT: Ignore most of the previous paragraph. I completely forgot about Kingdra - the main freakin' rain sweeper - who is usually mixed, which breaks down the logic of having one physical and one special sweeper. In rain, sweepers need to be easy to switch in while also having enough attack strength and coverage to sweep. Kingdra and Ludicolo manage this very well because of their typing and abilities whereas the fossil Pokemon do not.

Also, I would highly suggest using Focus Sash instead of Focus Band on Electrode. You could also use Damp Rock since Electrode will usually be able to use Rain Dance before it gets KO'd.

You might want to consider Azelf for a lead instead of Electrode. It's slower, but it's got more attack power to make that Explosion count. If I remember correctly, Electrode has horrible attack.

Kingdra is also a great rain-sweeper. It can attack from both sides of the spectrum with Outrage, Waterfall, Surf, what have you.

And just a general note: walls and tanks don't work well on Rain Dance teams. Rain Dance teams are meant to sweep, sweep, and sweep, as the rain won't last forever (unless you have a Kyogre, which you don't). Using walls is pratically wasting your precious turns of rain.

And Lanturn would work pretty well in that team, I think, seeing as how it has Volt Absorb. You'll probably have trouble outspeeding stuff, though, but since it gets its water-attacks boosted by rain and its Thunder boosted to 100% accuracy, it seems okay. Granted, you probably won't need to switch much at all, given Kingdra's crazy coverage (Dragon and Water hit nearly everything for neutral), but Lanturn is worth considering. Alternatively, Electivire could be used.

Basically, I'd recommend you abandon the whole wall-tank-support thing and just go sweep. 'S what Rain Dance teams are for - and I love them for that :D

Where is Kingdra I swear he's practically a must on Rain Dance teams. Ludicolo works well as a wall in the rain what with Leech Seed, Rain Dish, and Leftovers keeping him alive for ridiculous amounts of time, but he works well as a sweeper too.

Electrode is the ultimate Rain Dance lead, so no complaints, although a Damp Rock is probably a better hold item to ensure more turns of rain. It's okay if you don't manage to Explode, since pretty much nothing can outspeed Electrode, meaning it'll get off a Rain Dance almost guaranteed, and that's really all that matters. I wouldn't use Azelf over Electrode - yes, it's more powerful, but so what? Your lead's not meant to attack, it's meant to start the storm, and it needs speed to do that.

Weezing and Quagsire do sound like they could work well together. You might want to avoid Fire Blast on Weezing, though.

Registeel could work well too.

Ampharos as a tank... well, it could work, but there are better options. The aforementioned Ludicolo, for example.

And Lanturn might have some problems, since its only good defensive stat is HP and it totally lacks a reliable recovery move.

My biggest suggestion for this team is to put Kingdra on there somewhere. I use a mixed set that runs Waterfall / Draco Meteor / Hydro Pump / Rain Dance, and it is the absolute highlight of my Rain team. You don't even need to put many EVs into Speed, since Swift Swim will deal with it for you. Naughty with 252 Atk / 240 SpA / 16 Spe is probably the best nature and EV spread to go with, since it gives you outrageous power taking into account the boost Waterfall and Hydro Pump get from rain. Draco Meteor doesn't get a boost, but it's not like it needs one.

Ludicolo, Kabutops, and Omastar are also powerful options to consider, but my god Kingdra.

Kingdra. Kingdra Kingdra Kingdra. It's obligatory.
Though personally I've found the common mixdra to be rather lack-lustre.. My personal favourite set is the Dual Dancer. Mind you, Rain Dance is often about sweeping - but it can just as easily play defensive. Ludicolo is a perfect example of this, as a Rain Dance / Rain Dish / Leftovers / Leech Seed setup will restore 1/4 its health per tick. Possibly more if the Leech lands on something like Blissey or Snorlax with the massive HP pools.
Anyway, give this a try -

Kingdra @ Leftovers
Adamant
Swift Swim
180 HP / 252 Attack / 76 Speed
- Waterfall
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Rain Dance

It's nearly completely self sufficient, bulky, able to sweep or support and stay out indefinitely. I've had a lot of luck with it.

Now.. for whatever reason I'm sort of bad at theorymonning Rain Dance, so I think the best I can offer otherwise is a video, this is a team that just.. Kind of worked for me, it includes Dual Dance Kingdra, and was recorded by a friend of mine who was using a Sunny Day team. I recorded it too but got Audiowned by Youtube thanks WMG. l: So I'm on the other side using the RD team. If it might help out a bit though, Give it a look.

Back
Top Bottom